1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We all know he hasn’t been great but look at all the reasons for it. They’ve all been mentioned already. If anyone is thinking he is ever going to be the next Ben they’re going to be disappointed. That being said with the proper amount of weapons and better OL play I think he can be a productive, winning QB for us. Expectations are too high at the moment and even his own teammates are always saying they have to give him more help. That help hasn’t really been evident as far as I can see. For some reason my mind goes back to the PS game where they were showing that weird camera angle from the side. Although it was hard to get used to it was beneficial in allowing the viewer to see the plays develop. I remember seeing Rudolph anticipating and delivering some nice passes.

I was impressed by that. I know it was PS but the point is he was being allowed the time to throw, with a clean pocket and was delivering the ball on time. The understanding of the game is there. The problem is he’s still not used to the difference between the speed of PS and the regular season. Factor in all the other things stacked against him and I’m not surprised at all he’s struggling. He hasn’t really been the reason we’ve been losing games. IMO. The Cleveland game you can probably say he was more responsible than any other to this point but man the odds were totally stacked against him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    A couple of decent seasons sure but no one ever dreamed he would become what he did. He found the right coach and they built a system based on his strengths . The rest is history. Look at who is attempting to groom MR? None other than the Bassmaster himself :smiley1:

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The one JW fumbled was a nice pass.
    I recall the QB 'controversy' in the 70's. Bradshaw was not universally loved, Terry Hanratty actually had people that wanted him. Joe Gilliam outplayed them in the preseason and named starter. The team actually had a winning record and Joe had a canon, but he started playing horribly and Bradshaw go the job back.

Had he stayed off the drugs, humbled himself and followed a game plan instead of attempting 50 passes (with Franco in the back field!), he may have well developed into a SB winning QB, he had that much talent.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Fair enough (regarding Brees). I think SD did offer him a contract though, they didn't just show him the door.
    I think you know how I feel about Bubba Fichtner. I'm pretty sure I was paired up with him in the North Carolina Bass Open back in '05. He back-boated me!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

CK, I agree with a lot if not all you say. Like I said I was a Mason fan long before the season however after what I watched Thursday night I am ready for something else. Yeah the oline that was once great don't play very well anymore and yeah Fitchner isn't very good at playcalling. Yes the WR's are dropping passes and yeah we are loaded with injuries. With all that said missing wide open guys and missing guys in motion has been a problem for Mason.

I am not saying he is done but lets get a new face or two in there and see what happens. I know duck played well the last time he was in but he also played a different game. Why I don't know, does the OC have more faith in duck? All I am saying is I want to win and for some reason we are going backwards with Mason and there is a lot of reasons, some of his own doing some by others. I just think a new face couldn't hurt. jmo

6. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That actually makes as much sense as continuing to play MR at this point. Duck train or not, the quickest way to ruin a young QB is to throw him to the wolves to quickly. Long term I think Duck may actually have a serviceable career in the league, but no way is he ready with such s depleted O.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Agreed. How many college players have great careers and then their play does not transition into NFL level play. Many things go into this. Competition and game speed is much greater in the NFL. Personal habits and intelligence, some guys just cannot be coached or adapt to the pro game. Teammates and scheme, some players do such a great job that they make those around them look way better than they are.

Some of those int's were just plain ugly, yet I recall ben throwing some pretty ugly and insane int's over the years. I am not a MR lover or hater, just looking at reality. A healthy Ben with this same O ( and the injuries we have sustained) and I believe our record may very well be the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben loving life right now

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree. Like someone else pointed out, Ben might have had some stinkers over the years but when he's in the game you know there's also a pretty good chance of seeing brilliance. We don't know if Mason has both those traits (on this level), yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, and even with this particular team ben may have had some brilliant moments, but just like Drew Brees last week, great QB's also have sucky weeks. There is really no way of projecting what this team would have done with Ben. The D really did not start to gel until after Minkah got here, then got better each week (except this past week), The running game has been nearly non existent and history does show us that the more Ben throws the less success (over the long haul) the team tends to have.
    I honestly do not think MR has the traits Ben has, there are things that some players seem to have instinctively. MR in the right situation could develop (possibly) into a decent NFL QB, in the right situation lead a team to playoffs and even a SB (other mediocre QB's have). What we have seen so far is MR is not there, and unfair or not with a depleted team he is not a guy who is going to raise others level of play.

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Jared Goff from year 1 to year 2. Night and day. However it took a coaching change and a complete revamping of scheme. I’m not a big fan of Goff, but he did play quite well the past 2 years in the regular season.

I’m not sure whether a scheme change will help Rudolph, but the current scheme and play calling sure as hell aren’t clicking for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ve got to say that I vehemently disagree with the people saying that we’d have the same record with a healthy Ben. Ben is a ballsy QB who usually makes enough big plays to win games. Even if he had the same # of turnovers as Rudolph, he would have more than balanced it out with big plays. I think a lot of fans have a very short memory.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Based on what he's shown so far, that sounds about right. So far...
    This might not be the right situation for development, as it is right now anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I thought of Goff immediately when the initial question was posed. Goff was dreadful his first year, really dreadful. He turned it around and while I don’t think he is an elite QB he is good in the right scheme with good players around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    People piling on the O-line are crazy. We have one of the best O-lines in the AFC...in the NFL. If the defense wants to blitz and sell out to pressure your QB there's nothing the O-line can do to totally protect the QB. The QB has to take some responsibility.

When a defense sells out like the Browns did to get pressure Mason, itt creates opportunities ... good Qb's will kill you if you start blitzing often. Brady can read a blitz better than anyone ...Ben isn't too bad him self. Mason is slow to make reads and can't find the one on one coverage...when he does he's usually throwing off his back foot because it took him too long to get rid of the ball.

This was the game Mason had to carry the offense. He was given opportunities to make plays and failed miserably. Guess what's gonna happen next week, the week after , and the week after? Defenses will go after Mason and make him beat them. Until he does, we will see more of the same..and some fans will call out the O-line instead of the guy holding the ball and throwing picks.

Because our RB's can't hit holes and break tackles, our QB can't make throws, and our WR's drop balls it makes matters even worse for the O-line. If we did not have this O-line we would not have won any of those games we have won. The other players have to make their job's manageable. Safeties playing in the box, LB's in the box, corners playing tight...all of this puts pressure on the line.

I don't think we want this season to get too ugly. IMO it's not going to help Mason's development if we just let him throw picks and stink up the place. IMO Mason's mechanics are so bad he shouldn't be on the field. He needs to work on his mechanics and I think could benefit to watching the game from the sideline for maybe a few weeks to give him a different view and see how plays are unfolding. Duck deserves a chance just as much as Mason deserves a chance. Both are young and both could be developed ...at least we can find out if both are worth developing or even capable. Right now Mason , the WR's, and RB's are the issue. Not the Line.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I noticed a full moon last night, could explain it :smiley1:

He's overwhelmed, the line, skilled position players are only part of it. He's making terrible throws when he isn't pressured and when he is, forget about.

Bradshaw was Benched several times, you can bench Rudolph. He's not a first rd pic, not making a ton of money, theres no reason not to bench him, you'd be doing him a favor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Mason kind of reminds me of Joe Flacco.

Which you can win with, but you are gonna need a really good team around him.

At best he become a Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Flacco can at least make nfl throws. Let’s see if mason can elevate himself

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Jesus, goff was worse than mason his rookie year and took his team to the super bowl last year

next 2 years after his rookie year he played great

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    No I doubt he will be good as those 2. I’m thinking goff or Alex Smith he will be a great stop gap or backup that can win games and even playoffs

21. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Ugly game on Thursday by the whole team. Mason was sloppy and he threw blatantly stupid passes. Still his receivers barely pull them in when he is on the money. He’s been better more often than not this season and got us some good victories. People saying duck will do better are legit morons.

22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Duck will do...

I see what you did there lol

• Like Like x 1
  23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t agree with benching MR. What kind of message does that send? We all wanted him to push the ball down the field and look at the results. I think we should go back to what makes him comfortable at this time. Run the damn ball on short yardage. Go back to taking what the D gives him. I think too many people are falling in love with the prospects of sneaking into the playoffs. Are we a threat if we get in? So you bench MR for a game that can get him right or at least back on track against the lowly Bengals? If the team was ever gonna rally around him especially the OL it would be this game. This could/should be the game that can get his confidence back up. If they’re comfortable with Hodges the rest of the way then make that decision. I just don’t feel benching him for a very winnable game is the answer. He needs to play to grow. Do we want him facing Cleveland next week after being benched? If he’s not the future I highly doubt Hodges is either. 6 weeks to go, give h8m every opportunity you can. IMO

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, he was awful and if we weren't in position to make the playoffs I could see leaving Rudolph in there and letting him work through it but Steelers aren't in the same boat as the Rams were in Goffs first season.

Benching doesn't mean giving up on. They should also fire Ficht and bring in a new OC for his second season. Goff benefitted tremendously from a coaching change, albeit it was the HC that was changed but still. Oh, and get him a gosh dang QB coach, wth :facepalm:

*Edit. Actually, Ben will be back next year but still, new OC please!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Mor..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.