1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

TOMLIN

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    So he has won 5 games and that makes him coach of the year, his team just got his owner a 250K fine which pretty much nullifys that far fetched notion.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers were underdogs for a reason and it wasn't because the Browns were trending as a better team.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well the Browns were the home team, and coming off a win. The Steelers were underdogs to the Colts and Rams too :shrug:.

4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers(-1) weren't underdogs to the Colts(+1) , and the Steelers(+5) being underdogs at home to the Rams (-5)plays into my point. Also, The Steelers were coming off 4 straight wins.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers were underdogs to both of those teams from the site I use, so what if they were coming off 4 straight wins, they were struggling on offense. That's why Cleveland was the favorite, Vegas knows what they're doing, the Steelers going on the road on a short week.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I could not find any recent stats (and did not care to look them up), but on 2 different articles (2012 and 2014), the visiting team in Thursday night football only won 37% of the time. That, added that both teams have had less than stellar play would give the Browns a couple of points advantage with the bookies.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You pointed out that the Browns were coming off one straight win like it mattered, but 4 straight wins doesn't. Makes sense:blink:. Both teams had a short week, Pittsburgh to Cleveland isn't much of a road trip.
    'Vegas knowing what they're doing' also supports my point, except for a different reason.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's true, but the Steelers record vs. the Browns in recent years should negate that.

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    What have you done for me lately? Tomlin had an impressive start to his coaching career. The first 5 years he had a SB caliber team and an intact staff of veteran and HOF coaches. Can't take that away from the man, but you can put it into context. That was a team built by the FO and Bill Cowher. Since then, the team needed to be rebuilt. Along came Brown and Bell, I'd argue Ben hit his prime years as well. The Defense needed a total over haul and it got it... how many 1st round picks can you have on one side of the ball?

What has Tomlin does lately? Well the last 7 years has been sloppy play, underachievement, and choking. 6 of the last 7 seasons have not produced a single playoff win. The year we did win a game - the Bengals gave us the win on a platter. With a roster expected to produce playoff wins and possible SB appearances the team choked. Embarrassing playoff losses, even worse losses to horrible teams, and this season is no different.

Lots of excuses about injuries every week. But you know what the result is the result. Every team has injuries. Sure if we had been a playoff team the last few years competing for post season glory...then this season happened..obviously he would deserve a pass. But that's not the case. This is just more of the same. Sure Mason is not good. But what does Mason have to do with stupid penalties, not getting off the field, dropped balls, fumbles, botched plays, etc. ? The team once again is not zipped up. The team is sloppy - top to bottom. The defense is the shining star mainly because of the turnovers and sacks. We have some playmakers making plays but the team is not disciplined.

This Tomlin's team, his roster. If we don't like what we see, who's fault is it? The roster was built by Tomlin and the FO. Who's responsible for the mess with personnel we have seen the past few years? From Harrison flipping out, Bell quitting, Brown imploding... these things didn't just all of a sudden happen. They were allowed to progress into a disaster. We've also made some terrible signings and not many good ones's. The Minkah trade is by far the best move this team has probably made since Bettis.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I do not pretend to know how the bookies set the numbers. I am sure that would be taken into consideration, but negate is a bit word when trying to pick odds. Tomliin's .200 (a few points more) losing record against teams with losing records probably negates a lot of Steeler positives anytime they are setting odds.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yup, there are many variables that go into it. I only know what my guy bases his numbers on.;+)

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They usually give the home team -3 in most cases, and you have Rudolph on a short week playing in his first Thursday night game. Cleveland had won their previous game, probably gave them confidence. I wasn't that surprised the Steelers lost, I was telling a coworker that they were due for a bad game, after winning 4 straight and going on the road on a short week.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah in recent years they had Ben, Bell, AB, JuJu, in this game it was Rudolph and some scrub practice squad players :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Who on here sticking up for Captain Dumb ****.....Dude literally is the worst, and can't get out of his own way...

End of game,QB battered the few previous plays, LAST PLAY OF THE GAME..." Hey, lol let's run a little 5 yard pass... WHY, WHY would you do that! He can't even take a knee right...You either throw a bomb,and don't quit, nothing in between...

No this dumb f*** gets his QB blown up, again...on a meaningless play...And that led to...Well, Everybody knows what that led to

I just can't wait/ hope for the day he is gone... He's terrible, and I don't care who disagrees with me....This is right up there with the SF debacle years ago, anybody remember that bull****...SF the no.1 D in the league... Your franchise QB hobbled, let me refresh your memory...

Steelers were getting slaughtered, SF was bringing the house EVERY play, and hammering Ben EVERY play...At the end he couldn't even defend himself...But Popcorn kept him in, Ben kept getting smashed, Then we watched Ben TRY to scrape himself off the field...While Dip**** stood there with his arms folded...looking tough

I'm rambling but, I'm so fed up with this *******...He literally has no clue...." I think " in his warped pea brain, that he wants his team to look like some kind of " no quit, we're tough, kind of stupid bull****... that's just a mirage with the chest thumping"

He should be more worried about having his team prepared, and actual in game coaching and adjustments...Than , chest thumping, shades, looking cool, and blank stares...

This franchise is f***** as long as this Clown is there... He's in WAY over his head!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Not just recent years, forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thank you. That proves my point about Tomlin's tendencies.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I am the clairvoyant bastard descendant of Nostradamus.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I remember the SF debacle quite well and have brought it up frequently here. The difference is in SF you are trying to protect your franchise QB. You don’t necessarily take out a 2 nd year guy for a rookie. While the play calls late in the game can be debated I don’t see the issue with MR being left in the game. The only silver lining is the worse we do the better chance we get the changes some of us feel are needed. I don’t get worked up over the losses too much anymore because I have lowered my expectations. We’re not going to get change I also feel is needed for the bigger picture by winning games that aren’t gonna get us anywhere anyway. Jmo.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

Steeldeal...Therein lies the connundrum... Everytime I watch the Steelers I root like hell...And even though we're playing with ashort deck, I can never root to lose...

But If we win, We will never get rid of this Clown...And I believe this year...If we get even 7 wins, That will be enough to retain him based on the CIRCUMSTANCES!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Hes won 5 games with arguably the worst skill position group in the nfl and he has a noodle arm qb who's petrified at the sign of any rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Couldn't be stated better. It's like you're in my head. And if you keep talking like that, you can stay there.

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Your ass is showing. I'm getting used to it, but thought I'd point it out just the same. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    ,m
    You're talking out of your ass is usual :shrug:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It also proves my point some of you fans are totally clueless :facepalm:, expecting chicken salad out of chicken :poopy:. They had Holton and Jones playing WR, two guys who had never made a catch with the team, and no NFL caliber starter at RB.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And they hadn't lost to Cleveland since 2014, but fans are whining because they lost to a more talented team on the road :facepalm:.