1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Play that Started it All

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by firedog, Nov 15, 2019.

1. firedog

firedog Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm going to go outside the box here and bring something up that hasn't been mentioned yet or if it has I haven't seen it.

But is there any rational reason why that play that started the fight was even run? I mean really. We were down by 14 with 20 seconds to go and no timeouts. Even if that incident had never occurred why does it make sense to call a play in that situation where you risk an injury to one of your for the sake of running a needless play. The Steelers had already gotten banged up and saw a couple of players leave the game with concussions. I just don't understand the thinking of not taking a knee and getting the hell off the field. It's not like we haven't seen that in the past when a team in the waning seconds concedes defeat and doesn't snap the ball.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Browns fan

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Garrett out is big for them, implosion still imminent.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah the game was over by then, I don't like the playcall, just hand the ball off and end the game. There's no point in dropping back to pass at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Ever see a team score 2 td's in a span of 10 seconds? It's highly unlikely but it does happen.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'm just glad they didn't take a knee in defeat ala Andy Dalton.

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Garrett, Obgunjobi, and don't forget their starting safety Randall will NO DOUBT be suspended for the next game for earholing Johnson. Morgan Burnett is on IR too. That's 3 starters and one of their back ups out against Miami.

They just might lose that game......

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm sure in Tomlin's mind there are things to be learned in defeat and going down firing to give your team a boost or cause doubt in the Brown's minds. It is the same type of thing that saw the Brown's DC dial up a 7 or 8 man blitz on the play before it. Yes the team is beat but you are sending a statement. I want to say one of New York teams did something similar a few years ago where the opposing team was going to spike the ball or go to victory formation and the defense went nuts trying to slide through the line, knock the ball away and regain possession.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Guess who's idea THAT WAS?!?!

#FireRandyFichtner

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I oh most definitely will not care. Rather, I will not care entirely I should say. I will care about the impending implosion though. :sneak:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Better question is when was the last time the Steelers did it? Maybe someone can remember an instance or know that it never happened.

12. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I believe after our next meeting with the clowns, and we stomp them, the implosion will happen. Kitchens out, never even had a chance with all the drama queens on that team. Maybe we can pick up one of their running backs next year.............

13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It goes both ways. Steelers did run a simple screen. Browns are a trash bag organization for blitzing. If the Steelers were up 14 they wouldn't be bringing the house. They'd fall in to prevent. Browns coaching staff put MG in that situation and deserve some blame too. If you fall back and accept your win. You have MG for rest of the year and everybody is talking about the impressive Browns win. But nope, they couldn't handle finally beating the Steelers. They wanted to rub it in. Well your put your player in a situation and now he's suspended indefinitely. Good job trash bag.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Another thing about passing in that situation, if there's a incomplete pass then you have to run another play. Just run the ball, to keep the clock running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. firedog

firedog Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm not blaming anyone mind you, just bringing up a point. I mean how many times have we seen in the past a team behind 27-0 or something like that and in the last minute or less run as many plays as they can to try to score to prevent the shutout. I just think it's ridiculous. The reward is not worth the risk. We're not talking Pop Warner kids. Grown men and professionals and so you live to fight another day. They'll get over the loss.

And that's the only reason why I brought it up. Even without that fight one of the Steelers could have gotten hurt on a senseless play.