1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

BUMP - Ben's Clock Management (sigh...)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, Sep 10, 2012.

1. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

It can't, just like the myth of the play clock but there are those who believe it is.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Would you like to share why you believe it's a myth? We've all seen it on tv. No pressure, by the way, I'm just curious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit: I just saw your other post where you said it was, in fact, a joke. My sarcasm meter may not be broken, but apparently my eyes are, because I totally missed that.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Instead of arguing the play clock as I said in the other thread just watch the next game and you come back and tell me that Ben always waits until 0 before having the ball hiked.

Bman

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Holy Crap. Just...wow. That's all I can think to say.

I completely agree, and never have disagreed anywhere that clock management (getting plays off without wasting a down) and timeout management should and could be improved.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Seriously Bman, I have to believe that they are just saying that for spite. If anyone believes Ben really waits till 1 sec EVERY single time, they should wrap themselves in bubble-wrap and stay indoors, not safe for them to be out. :goofy:

6. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Curious to know why you took this personally? I never mentioned you or anyone else by name for that matter. Sheesh!

P.S. And thanks for the edit of your original post. Wouldn't want to have to report you. Oh wait....

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn't really know if you meant me or not, but you didn't have to mention or mean me, it was still deserving of:

"Holy Crap. Just...wow. That's all I can think to say."

You seem to be pretty upset over that brief response.

Why would you have to report me? I replaced Jesus with Holy Crap. Reporting that would be pretty silly.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not silly at all when you take into account he believes Ben lets the snap count go to 0 every time. Makes perfect sense to me he would think that is a reportable offense. :facepalm:

9. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I am so lost.

10. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I kind of think replacing "Jesus" with "Holy Crap" is amusing - I can't really think of the word I want to say, but I did find it amusing, whether intentional or not. I hope no-one is offended (actually I don't care if anyone is offended).

Now to the poster who complained about going for 2 unless absolutely necessay, I agree 100% on that. I have seen it numerous time where a team goes for 2 early in a game and later as it folds out they end up being down one or tied because of not getting that point. Throw the stupid chart away and only go for 2 when you absolutely need to. Else, do like some lesser level coaches and go for 2 every time.

11. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'll take "passive aggressive" for 300 Alex.

12. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I thought BC was the worst clock mgr I had ever seen. Tomlin is much, much worse. Pretty sure mt does whatever his coordinators tell him to. But we will see.....

13. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Lebeau has got to retire as well. Nfl defenses r so much better than ours. Stats r gargabge. Pressure, sacks , and anything other than playing 15 yds off ur man are the way of the 2000's! How does mt not know this?!??

14. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011

16. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    LMAO!! Me too now. I thought this thread was about Ben spiking the ball inside the 5 during Sundays game and instances such as that where he could have managed the game better, but now i'm not sure. It seems as if two threads have managed to merge into one, but the two threads aren't talking about the same clock management issue. The other is about whether or not Ben always takes the play clock down to 1 before hiking the ball and therefore letting the D tee off. :shrug:

My 2 cents is this. Clock management is an issues but i don't see it as something that we screw up constantly. Just an avenue that we could be a bit better at. I thought Ben had time to at least call a quick play (or maybe we should have had one already in place) when we were inside the 5, or call the TO. Spiking the ball and costing us the down I felt was the wrong choice. Regardless if it worked out in the end or not.

I also notice Ben taking the play clock down to 1 a lot too, but that probably has more to do with the fact that they usually don't show the play clock on tv as often UNTIL it gets down to about 5 seconds left. So when they do show the play clock it seems to always be winding down to 1. But I don't believe that Ben always waits for it to reach 1 second before hiking the ball. I think even he's smart enough to realize that could easily tip off the D to jump the snap.

/2 cents

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm a long way off any figuring out, except that since the loss against Denver seems to have got people in a proper aggro mood.

21. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Seriously Bman, I have to believe that they are just saying that for spite. If anyone believes Ben really waits till 1 sec EVERY single time, they should wrap themselves in bubble-wrap and stay indoors, not safe for them to be out. :goofy:[/quote]

Seriously tomlin era, you should let go of your vitriol. If you can show me a quote where I have said Ben snaps at 1 second or less "on every single snap" then put it up...otherwise shut up. And TTF, it's pretty unflattering for a site administrator to get so bent out of shape that he swears at someone who happens to write a post he disagrees with...over something as mundane as play clock management. Really? You lose it because I question the "myth" of bad play clock management? What ever happened to disagreeing without being disagreeable? That question is also aimed at tomlin era. You will lose members on this site quickly if they are attacked, especially by the admin, for expressing their opinions. You both need to put on your big boy pants and behave like adults in the room. Unless or course you're not, adults that is.[/quote:349afte8]
    Yeah, everything about TTF just screams "immature." I constantly find myself wishing he'd just back off and try to be diplomatic for once, instead of getting in our faces with his crazy opinions...

I think I finally figured this out. TTF said "Jesus" in the same way that people say "holy crap" and then changed it just in case anyone out there might be offended by someone taking the lord's name in vain (although, in my book, describing feces as holy is probably even worse, but I am no biblical scholar). That's more than I would have done, because who could possibly get so bent out of shape as to feel personally attacked over the word Jesus? Well apparently we have one poster who gets so bent out of shape about it that he complains even after the poster voluntarily changes it out of consideration for everyone, on his own. And evidently the reason for the hurt feelings is not to do with religion, but because he considers it to be childish, "losing it," a "swear," and an "attack." For what again? For saying, "Jesus, I don't even know what to say to that" after what you have to admit was a very strange set of posts?

No, I was wrong. I don't have this figured out. Still lost.[/quote:349afte8]

Thats not true, if Jesus takes a crap, is it not then holy??? :hmmm:[/quote:349afte8]

Or if the crap is in the holy water - hence holy crap... ;)

22. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is starting to turn into a twisted South Park episode I think.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Has Mr. Hanky been baptized :o

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Bump.

Same old, same old. We spike the ball, we have two chances to score a touchdown instead of three. We get down to the 2 yard line on the first play (2nd down), but then throw an incomplete pass and are out of chances and must kick a field goal. That extra 4 points would have come in handy, no? Not that it's a guarantee we would have gotten the TD, but with one play from the 2 yard line, I like our chances. Odds are pretty decent we get a TD. 2 plays from the 2 are better than 1, but thanks to Ben and Tomlin, we got 1.

Luckily, we came back with a final drive and field goal. And so, the team can continue to tell itself that they didn't do anything wrong...

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know what's worse, that Ben keeps spiking the ball when it's not necessary (either because there's enough time that spiking the ball isn't necessary or we have timeouts that we should use), or that the coaches keep allowing him to do it week after week. If the coaches won't step in and correct this, then who will?