1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3..2..1 HIKE !!??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fanfav, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I`m with fanfav.... It MAY be a myth... But it sure SEEMS like the truth while I am watching the games...
    seems like Ben waits till a split second before the delay of game penalty WAAAAY too often... :shrug:
    Just gives the D-linemen, one more advantage, they don`t need, to me... :shrug:
    :yeehaw: :herewego:

2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry but I am still calling BS on this one. Last year there were members here saying this and I watched then as I have this year and yes he does wait until 0 on the play clock but he also waits until 4 and 3 ..

So from a strategy perspective so long as he is not letting it go to 0 everytime then there is no way in hell the defense is going to know precisely when the ball has to be hiked.

Bman

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well since the whole Ben waits to 0 every play is a made up piece of **** lie, watching the clock doesn't really help you. I'd think they be more focused on the guy they have to beat in front of them so as not to get planted on their ass.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The question was were the false starts a result of letting the play clock tick down to 1 second and Tomlin went on to say "not really". The question wasn't "why do you let the play clock run down to 1 second every time" you know why? Because it's a myth.

6. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    LOL, so in the context of a reporter asking a question about false starts and mentioning Ben letting the play clock count down to zero on (quote) "a number of times", and Tomlin answering (quote) "that's happens all the time, home or away", I guess hearing those actual spoken words on the video doesn't dispel the "myth" of if Ben often times lets the play clock count to (quote) "1 second or a half of a second"? I guess there's no convincing some people! :lolol:

7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    But if he often does let the play clock go to zero instead of all the time how is advantageous for a defense? If it's only seldom rather then all the time it's still random and difficult for defenses to pick up on. No?

Bman

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It IS a myth. The OP said-
    It's not even close to the case. It just seems that way probably because they don't show the play clock on every down on TV, mostly just when little time remains on the play clock. That, and the idea is exaggerated because of Sunday night's no huddle and the timeout/delay of game moment. Even on the long no huddle drive, the ball is snapped many times with many seconds left on the play clock. It's quite varied. Tomlin's response was that it happens all the time, as in, it's no excuse for false starts on the line because the ball is snapped with little time left in every game. Not, it happens all the time, as in, it happens all game long every game. That goes for every team.

9. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    Bman - some would argue that it gives the defense an advantage knowing that the snap will be at 1 second or less. If we were to mix it up more, we may occasionally be able to catch the defense off guard, but who knows for sure until we try it? But my point was there are those who think it's a "myth" and I was merely pointing out yesterday's news conference when the subject of the play clock counting down to 1 second or half second came up and Tomlin answered "happens all the time". I really doubt he would have used those exact words, or anything close to those words, if it was a myth.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're so right. See TTF's response and then stop listening with a biased ear. :facepalm:

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good God man! He was talking about false starts! :frustrated: Not that the clock runs down to 1. Holly ****, go watch some tapes if you don't believe it.

12. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    I guess you fall into this category TTF! :lolol:

13. diehardsteel

Oct 19, 2011
    False starts "happen all the time" Tomlin era ???? Good God, we're in worse shape than I thought!!! :roflmao:

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're skip Bayless aren't you?

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    But you see that is where the problem lies and the point that I am making. Its an absolute myth he lets it go to 0 or 1 for that matter. I have seen hikes at 1, 2 3 and 4 seconds including yes 0 seconds.

There is no advantage in my eyes at all for a defense given the varying times the ball is hiked.

You don't have to take my word for it but watch like I did this year and last. :)

Bman

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He's no interested in the truth, just myths :lolol:

17. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You're skip Bayless aren't you?[/quote:1yc7ajyf]

Skip Bayless....lol Aren"t we all (No pun intended)

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So Frick'n what as long as he hikes the ball in time? He IS reading the D and he's been pretty good @ alluding the Blitz over the years even w/ a crap line.

Ben is going to do what he do. Let him. If it works don't fix it.

criminy!