1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

we need to go sign some good free agents

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Probably from the same trash can that "we won't win more then 8 games" was found in :shrug:[/quote:2q6znxrj]

And the same place Lebeau is to old....we were ONLY 1st in about 75% of all defense categories last year and no Farrior and Smith.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably from the same trash can that "we won't win more then 8 games" was found in :shrug:[/quote:367vg8av]

And the same place Lebeau is to old....we were ONLY 1st in about 75% of all defense categories last year and no Farrior and Smith.[/quote:367vg8av]

Look at the QB's we faced. Do you honestly believe we were the best defence in the league last year?

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Do we need some free agents, Yes. Do we have the cap room and money to sign them. No.

4. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    So true. We can barely afford to sign our own guys.

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Thanks for fixing that for me.........it's what I meant to type.............. :facepalm:

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

And the same place Lebeau is to old....we were ONLY 1st in about 75% of all defense categories last year and no Farrior and Smith.[/quote:31r7x2vp]

Look at the QB's we faced. Do you honestly believe we were the best defence in the league last year?[/quote:31r7x2vp]

I don't know why you keep pointing to this after Diamond blew this argument to smithereens. Ravens faced the same QB's, so why did they finnished 3rd and us 1st?

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011

And the same place Lebeau is to old....we were ONLY 1st in about 75% of all defense categories last year and no Farrior and Smith.[/quote:oilc28jb]

Look at the QB's we faced. Do you honestly believe we were the best defence in the league last year?[/quote:oilc28jb]

I don't know why you keep pointing to this after Diamond blew this argument to smithereens. Ravens faced the same QB's, so why did they finnished 3rd and us 1st?[/quote:oilc28jb]

Where did I mention the Ravens? I don't care about the Ravens. I watched them twice last year, when they played us, that was it. I stand by what I said. Watching our team last year with my own eyes, I do not care what the stats say, they were not the best defence in the league, period. The 49'ers were so far above and beyond us, it wasn't even close. I do not care who the Ravens played or didn't play, or what ranking they had, I saw all 16 games with my own eyes and our defence was highly overrated.

8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Uh....LEONARD POPE!

When you mention a FA on this board...its one of three things.

1) Steelers can't afford him....The Steelers would rather have William Gay and Bryan McFadden at 7 mill a season....then Asomugha and Crezdon Butler at 11 mill

2) The guy is a cancer...Randy Moss is a cancer....he has only caught 53 TD's since 2007 ...and thats including sitting out all of last year....Ward, Brown, and Wallace caught 54 during that same span.

3) The guy is a bum....Steelers sign Leonard Pope, Will Allen, and Arnaz Battle.

But in order to get the James Farriors, Ryan Clarks, Jeff Hartings, Kevin Greenes,.....you have to actually make the move.

I have always said you BUILD through the draft...you PATCH through FA.......Steelers don't PATCH often enough IMO.

HACK

9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I suggested bringing in Randy Moss and everyone on this site wanted me hung. Apparently it wasn't a bad idea after all. The coaches and players love in SF, they love his work ethic and his attitude, and he's producing on the field. He's more of a TD threat than all our other WR's combined.

I stand by what I said, we should have at least brought him for a workout and to assess his attitude/work ethic.

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I said it every time he has ever been available...When the Pats traded for him...When the Vikings traded for him....when the Titans signed him after he was cut...when the 49ers brought him back.....and I get the same response Shaner.

HACK

11. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if Moss was still a bit of a meat head (which it doesn't sound like he is), it's not like we haven't had our own morons before. Look at Santonio Holmes, Burress and even Big Ben (who is absolutely loved). It's not like Ben didn't have his own issues in the locker room. It wasn't all off field stuff. Players come around. Not sure why everyone was so against Moss. The guy didn't just forget how to play football, he was victim of Belichek's style, which is to trade players while they are still at the top of their game.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Look at the QB's we faced. Do you honestly believe we were the best defence in the league last year?[/quote:34k205gv]

I don't know why you keep pointing to this after Diamond blew this argument to smithereens. Ravens faced the same QB's, so why did they finnished 3rd and us 1st?[/quote:34k205gv]

Where did I mention the Ravens? I don't care about the Ravens. I watched them twice last year, when they played us, that was it. I stand by what I said. Watching our team last year with my own eyes, I do not care what the stats say, they were not the best defence in the league, period. The 49'ers were so far above and beyond us, it wasn't even close. I do not care who the Ravens played or didn't play, or what ranking they had, I saw all 16 games with my own eyes and our defence was highly overrated.[/quote:34k205gv]

Well we were just discussing whether the Steelers and Ravens are neck and neck so I thought you would remember that. You are on record as sayinng the Ravens are much better then us, they played the same teams as us last season so why did they finish with a lower defensive ranking? Did they not play the same crappy QB's? Surely their fierce defense and superior team should have performed better. My point is, you can't use the "who we played" argument to wash away our accomplishments when a team you feel is "much" better then us played them as well, double standard no?

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    When has Ben ever quit on the field? I think even you have to give him that. I've seen Moss quit on plays, I've seen him quit on a play where a ball dropped not 2 feet from him that he could have easily caught and tiptoed into the endzone not 5 yards away. No thanks.

14. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    we need playmaker on defense , i don't know what is possible to do with timmons and his 10 milion (trade) , but we need a safety 2mlb and a great dl

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    that is a good grocery list but we can barely afford one of our start receivers.

I would start in hiring someone to teach our defensive lineman HOW to rush the passer. (Bruce Smith)

I would start in hiring someone to teach our outside linebackers HOW to rush the passer. (Greg Lloyd)

I would start in hiring someone to teach our inside linebacks HOW to be explosive. (Levon Kirkland or Kendrell Bell)

16. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    No team has built through the draft, better than the Steelers: In our 3 superbowl appearences since 05, 19 out of the 22 starters we're draft picks, this goes back to the 70s when Chuck Noll and the front office built a 4 time (in 6 years) SB winner: This success in the draft cant be overlooked, but it requires very close scrutiny of those draft picks they draft, and thats where the work really has to be done to make sure your picking the right guy, and no one ever did it better than Noll in the 70s:

Pittsburgh Steelers By Andrew Tonge(Analyst) on May 25, 2009 503 reads

We are all well aware of the success the Pittsburgh Steelers have enjoyed for 30-plus years now. It is really a testament to their management and unchanging philosophy, even in the times we are in.

The Steelers of 1979 didn't dominate like their teams earlier in the 1970's, but with many of their Pro Bowlers on the other side of 30, they served notice that they would not relinquish their title without a fight.

Their coach, Chuck Noll, was a no-nonsense man who played for the Browns and began coaching the Steelers in 1969.

He never wanted or desired attention for himself, and as good as his teams were we always told them they could be better, even after Super Bowl victories.

His first year they finished 1-13 in 1969, but the Rooneys stuck with him and knew they had the right man to coach their team all along. Noll was a disciplinarian who had the full attention of his team.

Noll and the Rooneys built the Steelers into a hard-nosed, physical, run oriented team that took on the personality of the city they represented. Their defense, littered with hall of farmers, was all home grown.

The drafting of their talent shows that without a good front office that can evaluate talent, an organization will still be lost and spinning their wheels. Their front office is the main reason they have been as successful as they have.

They drafted Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, Mike Webster, and Lynn Swann in 1974. They got Mel Blount and Terry Bradshaw in 1970. Joe Greene and L.C. Greenwood were drafted in 1969, Greenwood being a 10th-round pick.

Jack Ham and Dwight White were brought into the fold in 1971. You don't get lucky this many times. The Steelers front office never gets into the hype. They are looking for their type of player, and that is what they focus on.

All you have to do is look at the other front offices around the league to realize how important is to know what you need, evaluate the talent, and make it happen through the draft, and or free agency.

17. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    No, Ben has not quit on the field, I'll give him that. But we've had players in the past who have quit on the field, I'm sure you'll agree with me on that one. It's not like Randy Moss is the only player in NFL history to quit on a play. Holmes has done it many, many times. I have no doubt Holmes was a moron when he was with us too, it's just we keep our problems out of the media and in-house, whereas everything about the Jets is public. I stand by what I said, I think Moss would have been great to at least bring in. The coaches out in SF love his attitude and work ethic, as does Alex Smith.

18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but there was no free agency back then. Every team built through the draft.

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

And the same place Lebeau is to old....we were ONLY 1st in about 75% of all defense categories last year and no Farrior and Smith.[/quote:fpassmgm]

Look at the QB's we faced. Do you honestly believe we were the best defence in the league last year?[/quote:fpassmgm]
    Do you honestly believe that it wasn't good enough? Or that LeBeau didn't do a good enough job? I'm not a stat guy, and I think the 49ers had the best defense last year. But we had the fewest points allowed, the fewest yards allowed, and the best passing defense. Run defense was something like #8. HOW do you just throw all that away? Harrison and Woodley only played together for what, 3 1/2 games? Farrior and the whole DL missed time. Worilds out when we needed him, Timmons out of position. DL sure wasn't getting any help from his CBs. And an offense that struggled to put up points. Scream Palko and Gabbert all you want. A lot of teams got to face 3 or 4 lousy quarterbacks. It's not like that was just us. Our defense was great last season.

We went 12-4, and look at our 4 losses.

1. The offense commits 7 turnovers. Seven. The defense didn't play well, but the offense was 1000 times worse. You can't put all 35 points on the defense with 7 turnovers committed. I think they only allowed two long drives. The rest were short fields.

2. Allow 17 points to a very good and balanced Texans offense. This is a team that destroyed the Ravens on the ground and almost won with T.J. Yates at QB. Offense scores 10 with one of the worst OL performances in recent memory.

3. Defense and offense both failed to close out the 2nd Ravens game. Defense allowed final drive. Offense couldn't get the first down (DJ drop), and threw brutal INT on a screen that was turning point in game.

4. Allow 287 total yards to San Francisco, and 20 points, 4 of which came as a direct result of a BS "leaping" call. Offense turned the ball over 4 times and scored 3 points.

The point is, in how many losses last year is the defense the bigger reason we lost the game? Maybe one. How many shootouts did we win? Where are the wins in which the defense struggled but we won anyway? Here are how many points the defense allowed in our wins, in order: 0, 13, 10, 13, 20, 17, 17, 7, 3, 0, 9.

Our defense carried us last year. I can't believe the fact that we were "only statistically the best," and not "probably really the best" is grounds to fire a DC around here.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    If there's one thing this team doesn't have, it's good pass rushing outside linebackers. :facepalm: Seriously, Lloyd in his prime wouldn't even be the best pass rushing outside linebacker at his position.

Also, as much as I'd like to improve in every single area of the game, I'm not sure fixing any problem is as easy as finding someone who used to be good at a task and telling them to tell your guys what to do. How many great players make terrible coaches? Lots.

21. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree here. Even though hood and heyward was low 1st round picks I expect more from then. Another thing is I wouldn't of drafted them in the first round for what we ask them to do.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How many games has Heyward started and you are dissappointed in him already, rookies don't start on Steelers defense it takes a few years to learn the system.

23. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I can only judge what I've seen, and so far, that's not much at all. I can't judge him based on what he might or might not do in the future.

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    You don't think the DE in our system is important enough to warrant a 1st round pick? :hmmm:

25. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, I'm not saying that DE is not important in our system but for what we ask them to do I don't think a 1st round pick is necessary. Aaron Smith and Keisel were both lower round picks who could be our best we ever had. Keith Willis and Harrison were great to but I think Harrison came from the Raiders and I'm not sure were Willis ranked in the draft. Von Offholen(sp) we got from the Bengals.

I believe if you draft a dlineman in the first he should have above average run stuffing ability and above average pass rush ability.

The jury is still out on Heyward and Hood.