1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

There is something odd about MR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Nov 11, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    lmao. he can play at Ben's level... but like 2017-2018 ben lol not 2004-2010 Ben

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I've heard that receivers have a hard time adjusting to a left handed QB when they are used to a right handed QB. Maybe MR's floating passes allow the receivers time to think....which probably isn't good.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't know, I don't think people give Ben enough credit for his command of the game, his "win at all cost" attitude, his ability to check out of Fuchtner's calls without ever looking like he even gave them one second of thought. I will take Ben over MR any day and any other NFL QB with the exception of six dudes. Brees, Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Wilson, and Watson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They don't have a designated QB coach

5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I usually get floaters out of my system as well after I've taken some chances. Damn that last chimichanga.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Jalapenos!

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Demon poop is the worst. :eek:

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would not put Watson in that cat yet. His style of play is exciting and short term yes I would love to have him...but in a couple of years they will have to invest 150 million. He may have a long career..or in 2 years be a career b/u like RG3.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    So

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That is called chemistry. It takes time

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Chemistry is when a QB and WR are on the same page and know exactly what the other is doing. Throwing behind receivers is fixable immediately.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no one there to constantly work on his mechanics that you need to have if you're to improve on them. Randy is OC I expect him to be all in on the Offense as a whole. They had him for Ben, they need to get another guy in there if they want to develop the back-ups.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Been saying the same thing for a while. I don’t get how people downplay the importance especially for a young QB to constantly have someone on top of their mechanics. A young QB has a lot to think about and what do you think is the first thing to suffer when they are worried about everything else? That’s right, mechanics and the other little things that need constant reminders. It’s foolish not to have someone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Timing! Knowing where they will be and when. That is part of chemistry with your teammates

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    IMO, MR having thrown for how many thousands of yards in college tells me he already has a lot of mechanics. Can he improve, sure. But lets not talk like he needs to go through QB 101 class with a QB coach. My guess as to why he is throwing behind or off target with the receivers is a couple of things. First, game speed in NFL is faster than college and he needs to get more time ( that's game time) to fine tune his throws. I don't think they go game speed in practice and he most likely doesn't throw off target then (which is what the coaches see). The other is things may still be going fairly fast still and more time will make things slow down for him the more game time he gets. I read people getting pissed off when something goes wrong or something isn't perfect. Chance are that they'll be pissed off a whole lot and for a while if that is the case. I see MR doing better than I anticipated and stacking wins up. He may not be winning games for the team but he certainly isn't losing them for us either. He is our QB and that isn't changing. He'll be fine.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I think he can be better than Ben was in terms of his decision making and mechanics overall. He has the right mind set and desire. All he needs is the reps at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Nevermind his yards either, Mason entered the Draft having a career record of 32-9. That is ridiculously good for a big time college QB; Big XII Conference or otherwise. The kid knows how to win. He is a winner through and through.

Most importantly, his mental fortitude is CONSTANTLY popping up; something I admire about him more and more with each passing week. Much of that is due to the overall lack of execution by the offense. For that matter, how many Rookie QBs would soldier on after seeing their opponent score on an opening TD?! Better yet, how about giving up a Safety with the game still within reach?!?!

Mason Rudolph has intangibles you simply cannot teach. This is not conjecture nor opinion. This is a fact.

How so you may ask?!?! Why else did Mike Tomlin entrust the game to him on a 4th Down?! For that matter, who brought the team to score the final points against Indianapolis?!?!

I really am running out of ways to say it. There really is no other way to say it either. So, I will just say it.

Randy Fitchner needs to actually do this thing called TRUST Mason. Big Ben is not coming back. Give Mason some chances. Granted, the game against Los Angeles was a big step in the right direction but Randy needs more of those proverbial steps.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You can always use someone dedicated to improving your mechanics and helping you spot little things you're doing wrong.

If Aaron rodgers and Tom Brady still have a QB coach I don't see what the problem in having one for the young guys you're trying to develop is?

Hell top golfers have swing coaches, Tennis players have coaches, every position group has it's coach, because that's what helps you fine tune mechanics and techniques.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I have no problem having MR have a position coach(s). The team elected to not have one and I had nothing to do with it. I am just saying that he must have some fairly good mechanics to build off of that the organization doesn't feel a QB coach is necessary. It could be that they didn't feel one was necessary with Ben but that time has passed and they could have done something since then if it was needed. Who knows?

20. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019

21. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019
    THE TITLE OF THIS POST THAT SAYS THERE'S SOMETHING ODD ABOUT MA
    IS SO TRUE. Who would of thought that a rookie qb after starting only 6 games would be able to have us currently in the playoffs after the team started 0-3. And also would have a better qb rating than half the qbs in the nfl. That is something really odd. Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness.

I think that Mason may be that "Student of the Game" that Ben has been criticized for not being. If Mason does not show the physical tools that Ben has, then maybe cognitively this is where he compensates for those "supposed" shortcomings. I am also not so sure that Ben was never/isn't a student of the game. A lot of that over the years has been "speculation". None of us know this to be true or not for we are not there. Just saying. STEELERWINDS

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben did have one. It was Randy Fichtner. That's what I'm saying. You had one for Ben, he became the O. Coordinator and for some reason you don't think you need to bring another guy in to work exclusively with the younger guys even if Ben doesn't want/need one at this point.

It's not like they have a salary cap on the coaches.

24. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I cuss out MR at times but as someone has pointed out, he only has started six games and basically is a rookie. Looking at it this way he is not doing too bad a job. After Ben went down who would of thought that after nine games we would be 5-4? I just want to keep beating the Browns and Bungals.

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Come on dude, you are smarter than this. Or do you just want to argue? Chemistry that develops between a QB and a WR results in the QB throwing the ball before the WR makes his cut, etc. Not leading a receiver enough has nothing to do with chemistry. But if you want to argue.......go ahead.