1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Find the money to pay Hargrave

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 10, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Good thing is Hargrave and Sutton are the only ones worth a damn in that draft class. Problem is the next 3 is going to be a lot of money. We aren't even paying AB/Bell. How are we in this cap hell!!?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Dead cap and IR is killing the team right now at nearly $60m combined

The dead cap will be gone next year but cap numbers for Ben, Haden, Nelson, Pouncey and one or two others rise substantially next season wiping out the benefit. They will do some restructuring and cuts undoubtedly. Chickillo and Barron are as good as gone, McDonald and maybe even Foster could join them.

2021 there will be a lot of valuable guys knocking on Colberts door looking for $$.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we had to choose between Hargrave and Dupree I would go with Hargrave. Tuitt always seems to get injured and Cam isn’t getting any younger. Hargrave seems to be upping his game(opportunity ) in the wake of Tuitt’s injury. We would possibly be risking not having both next season or the versatility that Hargrave brings. We would obviously then have a hole at OLB that would need to be addressed. I realize Bud needs to be on the field as much as possible but I’d like to at least see OLA getting whatever snaps he gets from the right side. Maybe I’m missing it but his snaps seem to be coming from the LOLB spot mostly, with Chick playing a little of both. It would be nice to have a better idea of what exactly we have in OLA before being forced to make a choice between Hargrave and Dupree...

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You want Mason to lead this team next year :facepalm:?

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They can pick up Watt's fifth year option in 2020, so they can wait to give him a long term deal, JuJu would probably get done next year. Conner isn't worthy of a big time contract, unless he takes a hometown discount, they should look for a RB in the draft due to Conner's injury history.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    5th year option would make him UFA in 2022 and needing to be paid when Minkah, Edmunds, Washington, and Rudolph do. Steelers try to avoid using that too because that money could be put towards a long term deal. One thing is for sure Conner is too injury prone and probably expendable. They will have some cap and need to lock somebody up at the end of this year. So maybe Juju this off-season. Then Watt next year. Then Minkah and 5th year Edmunds next year.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Minkah has 2 more years on his rookie deal, then they can use the 5th year option on him. That's why it was a good trade for Pittsburgh, they can have him at a reasonable price for another 3 years. Edmunds, Washington, Rudolph all have 2 more years on their rookie deals, I'm not worried about those guys.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, I get that. Minkah and Edmunds were draft after Watt and Juju. So if you 5th year Watt, it puts him needing to be paid when Edmunds and Minkah do. You can't 5th year everybody just because you can. Steelers only used it on Bud so he could prove himself and they weren't ready to give him a big deal. It doesn't make sense 5th yearing players you want apart of your team in the future because that money could have been used in a long term deal.

They have a lot of players needing to be paid in a 3 year span. They will have some cap space this off-season that's why I think they need to lock somebody up now. Juju is deserving and humble so I go with him first. Watt plays his last rookie year and then they pay him. Then they pay Minkah next year and 5th year Edmunds. That's how I'd go about this.

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Unless he decides after 2021 that he is a major lynchpin in the defence and he deserves to be paid early. We have seen Thomas, Jones and others hold out and get paid this off season in those circumstances.

We can’t assume that elite guys like Minkah and T.J. will wait their turn to help the team. They are massively outperforming their contracts and ideally they should get their market value when they are eligible.

10. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Yes. You want a declining 38 year old Roethlisberger to lead this team next year :facepalm:?

We have a bunch of young D guys to pay and I'd rather do that than spend $70M on Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I keep Hargrave instead of Dupree

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Oh well, too late for that they gave Ben the extension so they're stuck with it. 38 year old Ben>24 year old Mason :shrug:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah but you give Hargrave 10-12 million a year, will he still only play around 30% of the snaps?

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They will wait their turn to get paid, and like it :hehehe:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben will be off the books after 2021, that's 33-34 million right there, start using that money to lock up guys longterm.

16. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    ...which is why I wanted him to retire. Mason+Bud+Hargrave+Juju+Sutton > Ben

I love Ben but the time to move on is now. If he wasn't signed beyond this season I doubt he'd be back.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would not be surprised if this is the decision. Hargrave has been on a tear. Besides, asking Stephon Tuitt to stay healthy for 16 games is like telling a puppy to stop chewing on the furniture.

18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I like Hargrave more. I really do. I also don't have a clue who starts outside once Bud is gone. The bodies behind him are not inspiring and there's no FA money. A 2nd round pick? I think it'll be easier to fill NT and that's why I think Bud is the one they keep.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Interesting you say this. Kevin Colbert was scouting the B1G a while back. I believe he was at a game involving Michigan State. A player by the name of Kenny Willekes is likely on Colbert's radar as he can play both the Defensive End and Linebacking spots.

Terrell Lewis of Alabama could be another one to look for. That said, he is likely a First Round pick barring injury at this point. In addition, I have yet to see any reports of Colbert in attendance at any SEC game and nevermind an Alabama one.

20. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Interesting. Good stuff. What comes first though, the FA signing period or the draft? So, there's that.

21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lewis is a monster....drool. Maybe the early 2nd we were on pace for he may have been a possibility but we’ve played our way out of his range. Although I’m hopeful the addition of Minkah makes us look at some Bama guys a little closer than usual. They are very well coached which is a part of Minkah’s immediate success with us.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Here in lies the issue. A big one in terms of FA. How much money will the Steelers have to obtain one of the top flight pass rushers on the market?!

If anything, I can imagine Pittsburgh opting to go for the middle road here. Rather, find a rusher who is good enough. Pay Hargrave and draft another rusher in the early rounds.

23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take my chances with Ben for the next 2 years, they will still sign some of their guys back even with Ben on the team. It's a long shot for them to keep both Bud and Hargrave.

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm: