1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First, I think he has been okay. Not great, but okay. He has looked better than Landry Jones ever looked....period. At this point in Landry's play I wasn't convinced he'd ever be able to play a snap.

Second, there have been some drops and some throws behind players. I would like to think he will get better at that in time.

Third, I don't think the 3 runs and punt when we needed a first down is a lack of trust on him. The coaches are putting trust in the oline and RBs to get it done like they did when Conner ran over guys to seal wins. Right now they don't have the horses to do that. We played it safe and trusted our D....they came through.

Fourth, if you look at that draft, there aren't a lot of other guys I think you could be winning with.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I started Rudolph on my fantasy team and I will win unless Russell Wilson totally implodes tonight. Having the Rams and Steelers Ds with Christian McCaffery at RB helps.

Steelers D got me 31 points! :rawk:

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is, probably meth.

4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    2 years are guaranteed though right? NFL contracts are mirages.

5. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Well, Steelers have had some decent performances at wide receiver. I seriously do not remember any tight ends catching anything the first half of the year.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not sure but it don't matter if the lions offered 25 mil we would have to offer at least that or more to keep him......to me that is to much with already having Vance. :smiley1:

7. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    ok boomer.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He wasn't going to do much against the Patriots secondary with these sorry weapons on offense.

9. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I'm not sure what will become of MR. But as a fan this has been one of the funnest seasons in years. We may not make the postseason. But I'm very hopeful for the future.

As for Tomlin....I was dead wrong about him. I thought losing B.R would expose Tomlin as a bad coach. Instead he's done enough to earn coach of the year votes.

10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben and AB had that connection, I doubt AB's production would be the same with Rudolph at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Detroit overpaid for JJ, he doesn't even start, he will probably be a salary cap casualty next year. The Steelers did the right thing letting him go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Washington's fumble was inexcusable, he was heading to the sideline and had the ball in his inside hand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    My point is a guy throwing the ball 50 times isn't 'playing thru pain' as you suggested. Ben's arm might have been hurt going into the season, but it also might have been fine. Since the cameras can pinpoint the exact moment he grabbed his elbow in the Seahawks game, then he was done for the season, I'm thinking that's when he hurt his elbow.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersrule6.

I agree that AB's production would not be that as with Ben. However, I think that we do not see the "drops" that have been plaguing this WR (and some RBs and TEs) corp either. They are killing us. Fortunately, for the most part we have been able to remain "significant" even with these blunders. Also, chances are AB makes those tough but catchable passes that this WR corp has yet to prove they are capable of doing on a consistent basis. Every pass can not be thrown square on the numbers. STEELWINDS

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We won the game. I know that’s hard for you to accept. Maybe you’ll get your wish and we’ll lose next week.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Someone will be along shortly to suggest we pick up Skipper.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Just my $0.02

My problem isn't with Mason's arm or accuracy. He can make the throws. And he's certainly hit receivers who just plain dropped the ball.

My problem is with his utter lack of decisiveness. Whether it's a confidence problem, or the coaches holding him back too much, I cannot say. Although i'm learning towards confidence. He always seems to FINALLY throw the ball 2 beats too late. Not so much on timing routes, but even then, he checks down more often than he probably needs to.

Take the leash off of him. Let him know it's OK to make a wrong decision now and then. Even star QBs do. I would much rather he made a mistake decisively than hesitate and be late, or check down (ad nauseam) to a receiver who has no chance of converting the first.

They say he's a film rat. Good. Now use that! Be confident. And if a mistake happens, shrug it off and press forward. Nobody expects you to be Brady, or Montana, or any other Hall of Famer. But our D is playing lights out. Don't waste that. Take a chance. The reason some people are calling for Duck isn't because he's better. It's because he plays with determination and zero fear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    It's just the opposite. The D is playing great, let's play it safe, take the easy throw and move the chains.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    That'll win some games, sure.

But it will also lose the games where you need to be aggressive. And playing not to lose doesn't get it done in January (yes. We will be playing in January)

A lights out D allows you to take chances. Be bold. Play to win.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    It was also a play action pass that is not a quick release.with instant pressure from probaly the best defensive lineman in football.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A 38 year old Ben next year:

Hey ya'll prepare yourself for the rubberband man

- DS

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I do like what we saw from Skipper in preseason, and wouldn’t mind getting him back, but I’m also realistic about how much of an impact he’d likely make.

23. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    And who would Patrick throw to because we have a terrible offense

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Thank you. Agree 100% Need more people on this board who have common sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I remember what LaBeau's philosophy was when the Steelers had the #1 defense:
    Stop the run. Make the other offense 1-dimensional.

The Rams did that to the Steelers. They forced last year's #3 QB to handle the ball. And they have an All-World D-lineman, and an excellent DB who normally thrives on the Steelers passing.

I don't know why people expected Rudolph to have a great game, under those circumstances. Sometimes, being able to achieve a good enough result (like matching Goff's passing, without any INTs) is a victory in itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.