1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason era should be over

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Do you realize that your signature says “Bring on Mason?” Based on your post, you may want to adjust that...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Bubby Brister came into my mind too but it is early in his career.

3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Ben would have snagged that snap ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Its a total flip flop. The defense is playing great and the offense isn't. We had a great offense with Brown, Bell etc and the Defense wasn't this good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yea sure.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ben handles Ben.

How about that O Line? Perfect game :eek:

Rudolph has poise. If some can't see that to bad.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The offense is a Benny Hill sketch but we have to ride with what we have for now. It's going to catch up with us at some point unfortunately but whatta gonna do?

Mason is limited, but came up with a good drive at the end. Even though it ended in a FG, they killed almost 8 minutes of clock.

I think he'll make a nice backup but that's about it. And that's ok, it's nice to have a good backup.

If we were already out of it, yes I would be calling for Duck. But, I think Mason gives us the best chance at this point

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Mmhmm...

Interesting comment here. Let me ask you this one question here. An important one at that.

How is ANY young QB going to organically develop and mature properly when the Offensive Coordinator is LITERALLY preventing him from doing so?!?!

Lamar Jackson does not have this issue at all. Not because of his athletic gifts or even improvement as a passer either. It is because Greg Roman is ALLOWING Lamar to succeed without HINDERING his development.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I don’t know if he’s a future star. He’s getting the job done though. I wish we had a Patrick Mahomes but we have to work with what we have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I feel like I am watching a different game from a lot of people. No running game. Everybody on offense tried to turn it over. Inopportune penalties. No one on offense stepped up to help Mason except for several plays from Washington and Johnson, who both also tried to turn it over. If we had lost it would have obviously been primarily on the offense but I would not have started my list of offensive scapegoats with Rudolph. He is the one who has the least experience and is playing the most difficult position. He is the one that should be getting helped by the rest of the offense, not being expected to be good all by himself.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Devin Bush had 2 count them 2 tackles tonight. And nothing else

12. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    two different QBs, systems, personnel. I can’t make the comparison. Lamar is a dynamic player and they play to his strengths . I’m not sure what masons strengths as a QB are to be fair

13. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    I grew up literally minutes from western PA. Your geographical location is not mutually exclusive with how you view football teams strengths or weaknesses. Enough iron city for you for the night. You gonna tell all of Steeler nation to be quiet because they don’t live in the city limits of Pittsburgh?

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Go to bed and get some rest, and think about what you have posted.
    Then wake up and ask yourself did I really post that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are missing the point.

Greg Roman trusts Lamar. Randy Fichtner does not trust Mason. Massive difference in terms of development and growth.

16. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Tomlin said in hos press conference that was HIS call...

17. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With all that said, he now has 4 wins under his belt without the best WR in the league or a good RB. Let's see, Darnold for the Jets has how many wins? How about Mayfield? He was a No 1. He has how many wins? It might not be pretty right now but they are winning.

I could go on but what's the use. No matter what the kid does positively it will not be good enough in your eyes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Rudolph holds onto the ball too long. He has to get rid of it earlier and at least throw it away. When he is decisive and throws quickly he is mostly pretty good at throwing the football. This will all come with time and he is working with receivers that are dropping the ball and practice squad RB's. Anyway we've won 4 in a row so you definitely don't change the QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While i don’t expect Fichtner to design a offense around MR over night . I do expect to see progress in that direction from Fichtner. The jury is out on both but as Lincoln Riley says if you’re not running a QB friendly system....it’s time to find a new system. The question is does Fichtner have the know how?

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

And thrown a TD to Brown.

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Mason is 24, Juju is 22, Wash is 23, DJ is 23, Connor is 24, Jaylen is 23.

Improve TE and OL. Add RB depth. Replace the OC. It'll be good. Give it time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Holu Cow on replacing the OC!!

Do thar first!!

23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I keep hearing this but I'm still waiting for evidence. There's not an over abundance of screens called, or runs for that matter. Like I've said before, Randy addressed this a few weeks ago, and so did Tomlin. Basically, if you check down every play then that's either because you couldn't find anyone open or nobody was open. That doesn't mean they're screaming in his ear to throw it to his checkdown every play. They can't make him throw intermediate passes.

He doesn't move at all in the pocket to buy himself more time. He seemingly has no improvisational skills. He never escapes the pocket to make a big play. He holds it way too long sometimes, causing him to throw off of his back foot which inevitably results in a wobbly duck, 8 yard pass thats 3 steps behind his target, who now has to make a twisting circus catch for a 4 yard gain.

I know he's young but to say that Randy is the main problem is a cop out in my opinion. Maybe he could be doing better but Mason is limited. I'm not screaming to sit him cause he probably is our best chance right now but I don't believe for a split second that he's some superstar in the making. Maybe a Josh McGown. Which has been very successful as a short term guy. He's 40 and still in the league .

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    what I mean is I think mason isn’t trusted by Randy because the game still seems too fast for mason and might not have the tools to be “the guy”. Lamar clearly has excelled by his own merit and also the coaching staff using him correctly. That offense is tailor made for his style. I also believe that Lamar is just flat out a better player with a savvy and some good awareness. Randy does have some really stupid calls at times, but mason missing guys downfield or checking down with guys running free downfield is simply on mason , not Randy. If mason had the tools I think it would be much easier as an OC. Why would randy not trust mason if he had “it” ? Also the o line is for sure giving him time, in the nfl you must get that ball out fast or you simply have no chance

Edited

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Alright man.

Not doing this my man. You have your opinion and I have mine. Agree to disagree.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.