1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't we dominate?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 11, 2012.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Since Tomlin took over 5 seasons ago, we've been a good team. Won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl, but during his tenure, I do not recall us have a dominant season. Why we haven't had a stretch of games where we win 45-0 or 42-7? 70's Steelers had dominant stretches during there Super Bowl years. Under Tomlin, it's been like we had just enough to win attitude. I'm not talking about one game, but stretch of games.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    whoa there we had dominate stretches due to the defense and it was a different game then as well i just want to :frustrated:

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now its not enought to win SB's? We have to beat teams by 50 points too? :facepalm:

4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ignoring the fact that the game and the dynamic of the NFL were much different 35 plus years ago, the Steelers did open the 2007 season, under Mike Tomlin, winning 3 straight games in dominating fashion. They beat the Browns 34-7, the Bills 26-3, and the 49ers 37-16.

Dominating enough?

5. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Also in 2006 they had a three game stretch:

TB 20-3
    Cleveland 27-7
    Carolina 37-3

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    dominating is not beat team by 50 points but beat team almost everytime with out give them a chance to win

7. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Well he did quantify 'dominating' with numbers in his OP.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Spoiled much? How many other coaches have been to 2 SB in there first 6 years as a coach. You know the other teams we play, they are proffesionals too, get paid any everything, they even practice real hard too. :roll:

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's called parity no team has dominated lately except for those cheating Patriots (spyygate).

10. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Oh for crying out loud...whats next for people to complain about?

11. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    the team has not had the killer instinct for the last several years.. we play only good enough to win against inferior teams.. when we go up 10 or 14 (more than one score to tie) we lay back.. we have done it for years.. when we are the favorite by more then 7... take the other team and the points...

HINES

12. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Hold up Brother, the man is frustrated like everybody else, and he has a point. Also, he is spoiled like everybody else. It seems like we are not an elite team. Look who they have as elite teams> The latest power rankings: 1 - 49er's, 2 - Patriots, 3 - Texans.
    4 - Ravens, 5 - Bears, 6 - Green Bay, 7 - Falcons, 8 - Broncos, 9 - Cowboys, 10 - Giants, 11 - Lions, 12 - Steelers, 13 - Jets,
    14 - Eagles, 15 - Redskins.

We don't have to beat teams by 50 but we they must get some dignity and pull themselves up and kick some butt the rest of the way.

Why have we sank so low?

13. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

ex of a dominating team was the aikman /smith cowboys , they dominate almost every team they faced (maybe except us in that sb)

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You're barking up the wrong tree, I don't care about power rankings. I care about being in first place by the end of the year and winning SB's, something we do a lot of. And somewhere on this board someone just posted several examples over the past several seasons where we have dominated teams during the season. If you are looking for that every week, you're not being realistic, give the other teams some credit, there really are no easy games.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Why is that necessary? We've been to 2 SB's in the last 3 years, there are teams in the league that still have never even been to one. You guys are seriously underestimating how hard it is to get to a SB, let alone win them.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    no is not necessary i was only explain what i consider a team that dominate since the thread was about this word , i like win not necessary dominating

17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it would get boring winning a SB every season , I don't mind the 3 -5 yr gaps. Just stay competitive until Lebeau retires and the D can move onto the next level, instead of doing the same crap over and over again to the point where the other teams knows whats coming.

18. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    im all for seeing them beat a team by 3 td's, but i would be happy if they would stop making me feel like i just left the dentists office after every game.

the one thing that they do tend to do is let the other team hang around. they had chances against Denver to go up big on them. heck Denvers offense didnt see the ball for an hour and a half and they still won.

i know cowher used to like to get a lead and then take all the air out of the ball. i remember 1 game where they ran the ball like 24 times straight in the second half with a lead.

unfortunatly they arent built that way anymore. they dont have the oline or rbs that can pound the ball consistanly and keep picking up 1st downs.

Ben and wrs kept them in the game with all the 3rd down conversions. Ben also killed any chance they had of winning with that pick 6. that play and the easy td pass that should have been to Health that got knocked down where the 2 biggest mistakes on offense. im not blaming Ben, but he needs to make those easy completions. they need to stop settling for field goals.

19. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times...Tomlin doesn't believe in "style points". According to his own words (paraphrasing) - winning a game by 1 point is no different than winning by 21 points. That being said, the margin of error makes it a lot tougher to consistently win games with that philosophy. For instance three measly plays resulted in an 18 point swing in the Denver game: Ben's short-armed incomplete pass to Miller in the end zone, his pick 6, and the botched screen pass that went for an 80 yd TD. Yes a 1 point win is still a win, but personally I would just as soon have a "stylish" 21 point lead going into the 4th quarter, just in case.

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure Tomlin would too but do you think he'd admit that publicly ;) Are you saying Tomlin is actually coaching to ONLY win by 1 point ? Sorry but I don't see it. I've seen him make a lot of aggressive calls to try and keep a drive alive or to try and score more points to the extent of being almost too aggressive at times.

21. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Over the years I seen multiple post game pressers where he's said it. Style points don't matter and a 1 point win is just fine with him. I'm not making this up.

P.S. Google: "Mike Tomlin: style points don't matter" and see what you see. Here's just one link:

PalkoFacts. STEELERS WIN

Written by Blitzburgh Brian | 28 November 2011
    Tweet

Pretty disappointing ending to an otherwise fun weekend of football. The Steelers dominated the Chiefs everywhere but the scoreboard. It should have been a victory by double digits, but the Steelers played down to an inferior opponent (again) and scraped by with a 13-9 win. As Mike Tomlin says though, style points don't matter. A win is a win. But if you're unsettled by Sunday night's performance, you are not alone.

22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers were not dominating before Tomlin's arrival. Except for a couple of games the 2004 regular season did not have big win margins. The Steelers dropped three straight in 2005 and barely made the playoffs before going on a run that was nail-biting in itself except for the egg that Jake Plummer laid. 2006 was an 8-8 year.

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's true that he has said this a lot.

It's also highly unlikely that by that he means "I'm absolutely fine with our games hinging on one good or bad play." The "style points don't matter" comment is a standard call for coaches who are basically saying that a win is a win.

For what it's worth, I don't always buy it when sportsmen say winning always trumps style. Sport is, after all, entertainment, so it should entertain. That sentiment doesn't extend to watching the Steeler's play, mind...

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you remember what Cowher use to say, the difference between winning and losing
    in the NFL is paper thin either way each week. Now whether he was saying this to make up
    for losing all those AFC championships at HOME, I don't know?

25. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    What a stupid thread this is. I'm not wasting my time.