1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When do we start using the "B" word (BUST) with...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Sep 11, 2012.

1. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i wouldnt say he is a bust, but i dont think hes come even close to living up to his full abilities. the guy is a freak athletically. a lot of people were calling him the the Troy P of lb's.

hes always around the ball, but he just hasnt be able to make those big splash plays that Troy makes.

i think if he doesnt end up with double digit sack numbers this year and 100 plus tackles it will be a let down.

the one thing this team is lacking is a playmaker. the proof of that is in the 15 total turnovers they forced last season. they are on pace for 16 this season. i remeber a couple seasons ago when it seemed like Harrison and Woodley wood take turns forcing fumbles and the other recoving it on a weekly basis. they need those plays again.

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I totally agree admin and mod actions should be keep private and that includes dealing with posters which is why I said it was "interesting". Am I to assume " ad/mod actions of that sort aren't open for public deliberation" means posters are not allowed to publically comment on ad/mon actions? I just want to be clear so I don't get into trouble sometime down the road.

Snack- you are quite harsh in response to posters if you don't like what they say, and its not just me. There is a difference in response and personal attacks and yes you're guilty of personal attacks also. To be clear a personal attack consists of name calling or other means of degrading that's outside the realm of the topic. Were you personally attacked? Yes and honestly I'm proud of you for not " firing" back as I have seen before.

Cajun-

PS- I still think Timmons is underperforming and he ain't out of position nor is he injuryed nor new and young to the position. I'd fully expect a 3rd rd drafted ILB with Timmons NFL experience in the same system to be performing better than what timmons is now.

Cajun-

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of under-performing first round picks, would this be an appropriate time to bring up ziggy's name? Or should that be a separate thread altogether?

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I've seen Snack warned, I've been warned, you have, TTF isn't playing favorites. That said, steels post was the most deliberate attack I have seen of any poster to date, he wasn't even in a discussion with Snack and in the process, also attacked anyone who ever sided with Snack. TTF is very generous, I would have banned him but he is much more even tempered then I am, which is whats needed to run a message board, he does a top notch job.

5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I also saw another guy warned a couple of days ago for using a political analogy and TTF warned him as well. I definitely don't fee like TTF singles anyone out or anything like that. I had a complaint once and he helped me out with it and I appreciate that.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Keep in mind, if a warning or reminder is posted publicly, it's not to single someone out, but so all the users get the message.

Ordinarily, if I feel the need to warn someone, I'll do it in private. Just as TTF,and Numbah do. But every now and then you see the signs of a fire about to get out of control. It's quicker to douse it publicly. It's never personal. :)

7. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think our D scheme is now antiquated and the good Q.B.'s know what's coming before the snap. It's a lot easier to nullify even good players if you know where they'll be.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Me to, to many snot nosed 20 somethings on here for my liking.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ok, everyone hold hands and sing along with me............ :guitar: :music:

:cool:

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! No country for old men! I feel that way myself just in general sometimes. And I'm only 30. Someone told me a couple of years ago that I'm so old fashioned that I really should've lived in the 20s or something. I took it as a compliment.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Boy, has this thread ever gone haywire. I'll try to get it back to some semblance of order.

There were articles written about Timmons that most definitely compared him to Troy P as a dynamic playmaker. It appears that many in the media, his coaches and teammates expected him to develop into a "Troy P" kind of linebacker. I have attached a few articles for your reference:

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsbur ... rgh-tomlin
    Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. goes so far as to compare Timmons to a more thoroughly appreciated Steeler:
    He's still very young and maturing physically. But now he's becoming LeBeau's second-level Troy Polamalu. LeBeau can do anything with him.

Read more: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sp ... z26J87Tmri
    The revelation during Sunday night's nationally televised Steelers-Patriots game that inside linebacker Timmons has replaced Pro Bowl safety Polamalu as the designated playmaker in defensive sub-packages may have been news to the rest of the country. For Polamalu, it was business as usual.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... -steelers/
    He’s a force on the Steelers’ defense that took the playmaker role from Troy Polamalu back in the 2008 season and continues to flourish.
    You’ve been put in the playmaker role now which previously was held by Troy Polamalu.

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/steelers- ... prove-2012
    Troy Polamalu is and that is who he is most often correlated with in terms of his natural athletic ability.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... sh-timmons
    "I think he's just as good an athlete as Troy Polamalu," Farrior said. "And Troy is probably the best we got."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... se-482949/
    http:/But there is a little Troy Polamalu in Lawrence Timmons...

You can't just dogmatically assert that "noboby thought he would be as good as Troy" when there have been several comparisons made with regard to his style of play and many times his name was mentioned in the same vein as Troy P's. The FACT is, Timmons has failed to live up to the hype created by the media with a few contributions along the way from his teammates and coaches.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    casey not at full stregnth for a few years now. smith not on the d-line. ziggy learning the spot.

could this have helped retard his development since some of these articles? the guys that are supposed to open the rush lanes and keep o-linemen off of our lb'ers are not what they used to be and it's had to affect his play and that of our OLB'ers too. maybe farriors game had dropped off but maybe the d-line just ain't what they used to be. we have already said they can't pass rush, what makes us think they are any better at that. it makes a difference. something to think about. :cool:

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well that certainly wasn't lazy! Thanks for pulling out the info for me; I wasn't about to click all those links.

What I'm seeing again and again in those quotes is that he has similar qualities to Polamalu, that he has a lot in common with him. And he does. He's an extremely athletically gifted guy, like Troy. He's very versitile, like Troy. He was picked more based on promise and potential than polish, like Troy. And they really have one thing in common, which is the position in the sub-package that Timmons took over, allowing Troy to go back to safety. Couldn't do that with the linebackers on the roster prior to Timmons. It's my belief that that made a huge difference in our 2008 season.

What I said was that nobody but some fans (I should have included the hypey media) expected he would ever be as good as Troy. Troy's the best safety I've ever seen, one of the very best players I've ever seen, and even back in 2007 was by far the best strong safety in the game, and one of the most dangerous defensive playmakers ever, with room to grow -- which he did, becoming one of the very best safeties ever, and one of a kind in the way he plays the game, doing stuff never done before. Who could hold that as a reasonable expectation for Timmons, not even the top linebacker taken in his draft class? Timmons was seen an athletic, versitile guy that could solve some problems for our defense. A lot in common with Troy, never in Troy's league. If people take every (or any) first round draft pick and expect him to be the next Troy Polamalu, they are going to completely disappoint you. It's hardly Timmons' fault fans were expecting too much of him. Maybe that's one of the reasons I don't feel the same as you. For me, I just wanted a new ILB. Someone who could play better than Foote, be good in pass coverage, and take over for Farrior eventually. I wasn't expecting the next Troy. So I got what I wanted. Someone who could play well for us, help our pass defense and free up Troy, and get Foote out of there. Of course, Foote's back, so we need another one...

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Could be a factor,but what about when he has a free run at the Qb with only the RB standing in his way and he gets pushed to the side like he weighs a buck-fifty. Our blitz schemes the past few years have been mediocre at best we seem to only send pressure from up the middle and our guys seem to get all jammed up thus becoming easier to block. We hardly ever send or CBs anymore and our DL doesn't stunt like all the other teams,probably do to the fear of being out of position to defend the running game,which we have been pretty lackluster at defending anyway.Something has to give,something has to change we are just too predictable.

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I think all of you guys suck but please don't take it personal! Matter of fact, I'm the only cool guy I know and apparently it goes unnoticed in the world around me. Someday you will all appreciate at me for the greatness that I am. Now...I think I need a hug. crickets..

16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Oh WOW lol

:herewego:

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    So if you are the coolest guy in the world then that must mean you are Paul Newman! WOW! It's so nice to meet you! I loved you in The Hustler! Often a guy I work with tries to tell me that Steve McQueen is the coolest guy ever but I lay the smack down and tell him that based on The Hustler it is actually YOU...PAUL NEWMAN! Also "appreciate at me" is the COOLEST phrase I have EVER heard! Only Paul Newman could so effortlessly and charismatically pull that off. It really IS you! Also Cool Hand Luke was good as well.

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey jackweeds, I get more action in a week then you guys get in your entire lives. I've got houses in L.A., Paris, and Vail, each one of them with a 70 inch plasma screen.

19. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Pleased to meet you Mr. Finch. :bowdown:

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there ya go, you shoulda let the team stay at your house and practice the whole week so they were acclimated to the altitude. now we know who's fault the broncos game was. :facepalm: :cool:

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    They would have been too distracted by all the beautiful women and celebrities I hang out with every day.

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    of course it could have been the hardest they worked out all week? :lolol: :cool:

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Okay, okay. I'm the one that originated this thread and now I hereby declare it closed to further deliberation. This is getting ridiculous... :facepalm:

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    <-------- Your avatar is ever evolving. Lol.