1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3..2..1 HIKE !!??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fanfav, Sep 11, 2012.

1. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Every season it seems that Ben does the same thing under Center seemingly everytime- he hikes the ball with 1 second (or just over) to go on the play clock. Sure, I understand that theirs a lot going on with defenses moving around, audibles being called and crowd noise, but am I missing something here ? All hes doing is giving defenses an extra jump on what can only be construed as a predictable snap count. Nevertheless, Its got to be tough being a QB on the road in a hostile environment but I've been watching him do this with more and more consistancy both on the road & at home as the seasons go on. If I'm a head coach studying for an upcoming game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the first things I'm going to remind my defense of is Bens snap count.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Not that im comparing the two but in indy manning would always wait until under 5 to snap the ball.

3. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Fair enough, but in my opinion even snapping the ball with 4 seconds or even 3 seconds is much less predicatble for defenses

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Ben snaps it a lot at one but the broncos did get three procedure fouls and ben was snapping it between 1 and i would say about 6. i knida like it it leaves the dlinemen in there stance longer and it gives ben more time to read what the d is doing.

5. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ok, lets say I'm being unfair to Ben, at best, he more consistanly than not hikes the ball with 2 seconds or less. Maybe this is my OCD kicking in here but snapping the ball more times than not on almost the same count benefits the Defenses one way or another more times than not in the long run. Our O-line problems have been tough enough to contend with over the years, why add to them. Albeit this and Bens over-aggressive nature at times, I'm still a huge fan.

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    steel
    that's some funny f$^%$ s#&^% there. Ben reading a defense LOL LOL
    the defenders are moving around to tee off on him at 4,3,2,1 and blast!!!!
    until then they haven't showed ben anything except coverage on the wr but we all know
    there won't be time to throw

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Interesting point about the countdown and Ben's many "fake" steps prior to each snap. Doesn't appear to be fooling anybody, except maybe our OL. Just for laughs, I wonder what would happen if we would occasionally call a quick snap just to mix things up? :hmmm: Nah, that would never happen.

8. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Do you guys thnk Ben snapping the ball at 3 seconds instead of 1 is really going to make any frickin difference? smh

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You don't think so???? I mean its obvious that will will go from a poor line to the best in the NFL if only Ben wouldn't wait so long to snap it. :doh:

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben thought haley meant by hurry up offense, wait til the playclock runs down then hurry up and snap it. :shrug: :cool:

11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Not true. .Its a common theme around here to say that but I have watched the games to see if it was in fact true and its not. yes thee are times he lets the clock go to zero and then other times he does not. He really does mix it up. Dont believe me. Check it out next game and you will see what I a mean

Bman

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :goodpost:

13. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a non issue. Defenders are watching the people in front of them more than they're watching the play clock.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just another negative myth that has stuck, gets real old :frustrated:

15. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, one of the many :lolol:

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Aye. It's another case of fan perspective being a whole world away from player or coach perspective.

Also, play clock and snap count are surely different things - which one are we talking about in this thread?

17. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Like imsaid the broncos had three procedure penaltiesmon defense

18. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes, one of the many :lolol:[/quote

I'm fairly new to this board and havent scanned through all the post to know just how common of a theme this is around here. I'm only making an opinionated observation. And to be honest, no, I've not sat down during a game and counted how many times he runs the play clock down to 1 (0r 2) seconds. Watching Peyton Manning Sunday night I noticed him snapping the ball with a variety of seconds left on the clock versus Ben. Its an obvious exaggeration to say he does it all the time, however, in my opinion, its far from a myth to say that he doesnt do this that often. Sure, he may run through an entire Qtr without doing it, but as the game scenerios change, he'll take that snap right down to the very last second multiple times in a row. I'm not bashing Ben or even trying to create a "Negative Myth" I'm only stating what I see.

19. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Foremost, Play Clock......and isn't this board about fan perspective in the first place ????????????????????????????????????????????????

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Forgive us, we're really not bashing you or your post so much as the theme, there are certian things that get said around here that drive certain groups crazy, I'm sure it happens on all message boards, no offense intended.

21. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Forgive us, we're really not bashing you or your post so much as the theme, there are certian things that get said around here that drive certain groups crazy, I'm sure it happens on all message boards, no offense intended.[/quote:wvyti90k]

Thanks.

22. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Big difference between 5 and 1

23. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    If you're talking when the ball is snapped. When the play clock is on 1, anyone who don't know the snap count is dumb. That is one of the reasons Ben gets sacked so much. D linemen have a running start

24. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    DUH
    DUH
    DUH

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
    that's why there is a big FICKING PLAY CLOCK on both ends of the field and the defense knows when times is up because

AS YOU SAY

THE PERSON IN FRONT OF THEM SHOWS THEM THEIR ficking CASIO

defense knows exactly
    WHAT TIME IT IS!!!!!

sorry ttf feel fre to edit

25. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    if people on this board
    or
    even worse yet
    our defense doesn't realize that big thing with numbers counting down to ZERO is a play clock then
    GOD HELP YOU ALL