1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Trying to Create a QB Controversy Here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 7, 2019.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you are talking accuracy, you may prove to be correct. If you are talking strength, you haven’t been paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It isn’t semantics. The rule requires the team to interview a minority candidate. They had done so prior to interviewing Tomlin so the rule did not require them to interview him. So they didn’t interview him because of the rule. Your claim that they did has zero evidence to back it up. Your response really reads as though you don’t think minority candidates could possibly be worth interviewing on their own merits. I reject that. Plus, there is nothing in the rule about actually hiring a minority candidate so even of you think wrongly that the rule is why Tomlin was interviewed, there is no argument that the rule is why he was hired. Again, the rule says nothing about hiring minority candidates, just interviewing one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    This is getting tiresome with you. Show me the word HIRE anywhere in what you just quoted. You want so desperately to either prove me wrong or make your case that you are now pretending that I said things that I didn't. Just stop already. You aren't going to get me to buy what you're selling whether you use my words or make up new ones.

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True! He can overthrow a receiver better than just about anyone!
    I really hope he can improve his accuracy.

5. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Stretcher, head set. What's the difference?

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Great thread to read through. My thought is Ben won't be coming back. And Rudolph is going to be the QB for awhile , love him or hate him.

I think a lot of you miss Kordella.:thumbs up:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`ll create one for you. I say Ben is done as starter.

He is no longer considered "too old" by today`s standards, but he has high mileage and I think he should consider retirement.

To me, he seemed to be off to a VERY slow start before he got injured. I would not mind if he stayed as backup.

It`s time to move on from the Ben era.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Was MR a walk-on at camp last year? Go back and look at film of him in college. He didn't lose arm strength or forget how to throw in the past year.

He won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award in 2017 as the best senior qb...best...best. He averaged 9.4 ypa for his career at OSU. That is not ypc, but ypa...per attempt. That doesn't happen without a vertical passing game.

With that said, I'm not drinking his koolaid. I'm making these points to show that he is underperforming, and not playing at his potential. He has all the intangibles and ability to make it at the nfl level. He simply isn't showing it yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I don't want to agree with you, but I pretty much have to. The handwriting is on the wall. And the ink is dry. Ben hasn't been able to paractice all week for years. I know other vets take time off during the week. But even when a big game, or the season, is on the line, Ben is resting on Wednesdays. He rests as much as possible during the preseason as well. And while other teams are working on timing and execution, he's standing on the sidelines watching the backup take "needed" reps.

And now he's going to sit an entire season. If a young(er) Lev Bell was rusty after sitting out a season, what's Ben going to be like? I just don't see that he can come back and be what we want, expect, and need. Time to move on.

Scary thing is that when he retires, Pouncy will likely hang it up as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    First and foremost, Arians is there and they have much better than decent receivers, Ben would fall in love with Evans.

Their run defense is tops in the league, secondary sucks but Ben is used to being on a team with a lousy secondary that loses games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree with everything you posted. And you are correct.

I have a feeling Steelers will be drafting Center in the 2nd round in 2020 draft.

12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    As a reminder of when Big Ben was Little Ben.
    https://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on-duh-mason-isn-t-ben

"While Rudolph is surrounded by youth and relative inexperience at the running back and receiver positions, Roethlisberger was able to give the ball to Jerome Bettis and throw it to Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress and Antwaan Randle El." Not to mention a BA defense.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Glory Days.

Yes, it would seem that Tomlin has every angle covered here. It is a shame. As I have stated numerous times, I was on board the Tomlin wagon for his first five years or so. However (the same old argument) as Cowher's players went away it became obvious that we were winning more and more thanks to Big Ben. Ben is the key factor here. yes, we are winning some games now and I do like Mason

Some around here do not want to face that reality. I for one am a very open-minded person. I will give credit where it is due. Tomlin's strength is motivationally-based not cognitively-based. He has no clue on how to draft and more important "Teach". He supposedly is a secondary wizard. If so, then how does he account for that being the weakest link all of these years under his watch. Poor drafting, poor player development. We really only got better this year in that area because of the Fitzpatrick trade. The fruit of some other team's labor. just my IMO. STEELWINDS
    Hey Glory Days.

This is not taking a shot at you. I just do not get why some people are having a hard-time grappling with Mason's present success or "lack" there of as some see it. Take anyone of us on this board or the world for that matter. I will start with myself. I am a 30 year plus veteran teacher. I am not the same professional today that I was back 30 years ago. I am way more polished and seasoned. We can not speed up the hands of time, any of us regarding our livelihoods. We in theory should get better at our jobs with time.

Mason has only had five starts. He is a second year player. A first year starter.
    How about applying the phrase "Patience is a virtue". Sure, I would love for him to have had Ben's rookie year success right off of the bat. However, how many rookies do? Given that, I have posted his numbers up to this point. Again, I reiterate, they are decent. 10 TDS 4 Picks Total of 1088 yards Passer rating of 94.7

You made some great points Glory regarding his collegiate career that I did not know. I also do not know how his career is going to turn out like the rest of us here. So far, IMO he has been "effective". He has not cost us any games up to this point. It has actually been others that can bow for those accolades.

Sure, he could be doing better at Red Zone efficiency. Some of that can also be attributed to horrendous coaching when we are down there. We have also had this concern with Ben down there and play calling as well. Other than that, I really have no complaints about the young man's performance up to this point.

Also, I figured I would boast a little here as Ben and I have something in common. I actually won the "Rookie Teacher of The Year" Award during my first year of teaching for my entire school district (Go Me!). :cool: STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now thats a slip, he wasn't even OC yet, just a lowly WR coach.

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Although, Ben did have a veteran team around him ... his rookie season. But, you just knew that he was going to be great. Those great extended plays were a thing of beauty. He just had the "It" factor. Just like all of the great ones. I just dont see that at all with MR. Maybe, it would help, if he had "The Wiz" as an OC

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I never claimed you said hire (although you did originally say "if not for the Rooney Rule, he wouldn't have sniffed the position", which certainly implies that you don't think he would have been hired without it, but whatever). If you think I claimed you said hire, then it should be simple enough for you to quote where I said you said that. I will apologize if you can do so. I was simply following through on your logic and pointing out that even if you think the only reason he was interviewed was the rule (something that isn't true because the Steelers had already satisfied the rule) it still doesn't follow that the only reason he was hired was the rule as the rule makes no demands on who is actually hired, just who is interviewed. But regardless, you still have offered absolutely no evidence that Tomlin was even interviewed because of the rule. If all the Steelers wanted to do was satisfy the rule they would not have needed to interview two minority candidates. They could have stopped with Ron Rivera. It is simply your opinion that the rule was why they interviewed Tomlin. Since the rule did not require the Steelers to interview Tomlin after already having interviewed a minority candidate then I am not sure why anyone should share that opinion with you.

17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey defva.

Yes, there definitely seemed to be something "magical" about Ben's rookie year. I remember looking forward (not so much anymore) to come home after work during his rookie year and BB would be the focal point of most sports talk shows.

I was going to start another thread about what I am going to say next but I will just mention it here. It seems that the only time anyone of the talking head shows today decide to talk about our beloved Steelers over the past years is when it is connected to something negative. Yes, one would say then do not give them anything to talk about. That is true. However, our Steelers are historically the envy of the league. Why else do we get so much air time and prime time games televised. Just something I have noticed.

Today, I would rather hear about the cat being rescued from a tree story now than pretty much anything on the news about the B & G. STEELWINDS

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    ok let me give a true assessment after reviewing Mason's tape. He sucks lol.

Nah in reality he has been a pretty good game manager who has been playing conservative. Play calling? afraid to make a mistake? we surely do not know. Him playing better as the season goes on is just speculation.

At this point in time this is what I have seen from Rudolph and im sure haters/lovers can agree.

Strengths:

1. Ability to shake off mistakes
    2. Good pre-snap reads
    3.poise and toughness
    4.Looks to extend drives rather than looking for the splash play

Weakness

1. seems to throw a pick or dumb pass each game
    2. Can't hit runners deep in stride. Strength is fine.
    3. ducks. throws balls that make 2015 manning spirals look crisp.

All in all he is the 2nd best QB out of all those crappy ones in the draft class. baker, darnold, jackson, allen, rosen

19. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    For someone who never said I brought up him being hired, you sure talk about it a lot. And I don't really give a rat's rear whether anyone shares my opinion. It's still my opinion. This is a message board. People post opinions. And finally, are you saying that every single word you've ever typed here is factual and NOT your opinion? If you can prove that, I will apologize.

Your apology is accepted. Not necessary to boost your post count by saying it.

Now would you please let this go. You have not even tried to address my actual point. I stated my opinion, you misunderstood it. Enough is enough.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Using Rogers as a point of comparison is a bit unfair. In terms of arm talent, Mahomes is the only quarterback in the NFL right now who comes close.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, Rudolph has only four interceptions this season and two of them were balls that should have been caught, the one that clanked off Moncrief's hands against the Seahawks and Smith-Schuster's drop against the Colts.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016

:popcorn:

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You forgot about the most important part their OL stinks, it's not happening, so it's a moot point.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    That's more a problem of coaching and play calling than Mason's issue imo

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wrong, there have been times guys were open down field, but Mason has checked down or holding the ball too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1