1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rudolph Playbook

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It seems several things have disappeared from the playbook that were staples under Ben. Just watching the TV broadcast and relying on memory, I recall very few bubble screens (perhaps good riddance), or few screen passes at all for that matter; few draw plays; rarely a tight end down the seam; and few effective crossing routes. Most runs and passes seem to be pretty standard - nothing clever or innovative, just hoping our guys beat their guys. Maybe this is because Rudolph is still getting his sea legs, maybe he doesn't see these options, but at some point there has to be more creativity to get receivers open and running backs some space.

One question I always have that never can be answered is what goes on in practice during the week. Do they try some of these things, they don't work, and then they scrap them? Or do they only try the game planned stuff and try to polish that? Love to know what the process is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We certainly seem to be seeing less of MacDonald - I wonder if this is also Fichtner's playbook as much as down to Rudolph.

I know they over-did the crossing routes last year (or maybe the year before?) and some defenses shut it down completely, so again, maybe this is a designed thing. But given how well a player like DJ or Juju can utilise that kind of space, it's odd that they aren't doing it more.

3. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is exactly the point! How will we ever know if MR can do these things in a game if Fuchtner doesn't try them! This is utterly foolish!

Give MR every chance to succeed and then adjust accordingly!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This video here does a great job explaining Mason's shortcomings but also highlights his strong points. Much of what this person states is what many have been stating on this board. However, there is a critical point of emphasis he makes in the early section in which people are railing on Mason due to being acustomed to seeing a future HOF under center.

Again everyone, context is the word of the day here.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    EVERY STEELER FAN SHOULD WATCH THIS!
    Outstanding recap! Thanks for posting that!

I especially love his comment "the equally visually impaired Tomlin fails to challenge Samuels TD run" which wasn't called.

He also points out very succinctly on numerous occasions how Fuchtner and Tomlin go conservative as if MR hasn't shown the least spark of ability when if fact he has demonstrated numerous times that he can throw all the passes.

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Patience people. :facepalm:

It's silly to expect Roethlisberger-2008/prime performance out of Rudolph with only 5 games under his belt. We have some very winnable games on the upcoming schedule, plus the D continues to improve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Amazing eh. Reading the comments during a game and each play is analyzed like the kid is a HOF QB with an all star supporting cast. Do people remember that Ben threw 5 ints. in a single game just a could of years ago? Do the old timers remember when TB was so bad Noll benched him. I would love to see a more explosive O, especially better production in the Red Zone. Oh wait, what recent year was it when the team loaded with O talent had a hard time getting it in for a TD? MR may become a really decent NFl QB, he may develop into nothing more that a game manager, or be a career back up. He really does not have much to work with here at this point. O line has been spotty, running game not consistent, very limited use of TE's (do not get that at all). Play calling has been abysmal and a young WR group that lost a great coach.

Not excusing any of MR's possible limitations, just saying inexperience with all (and more issues) listed above should leave room for what you called for, Patience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Somebody earlier stated that according to Fitchner, Mason is having trouble with these types of throws in practice so they are dialing it down for the time being. Plausible imo.

9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    It all comes down to Rudolph making his reads quicker and getting rid of the ball quicker. He has the physical tools. The pass to JuJu was a good pass, but JuJu didn't make the catch, which caused the interception. JuJu makes that catch, Rudolph's confidence escalates because he threw the ball into a tight window. The interception may have had the opposite effect.

10. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The best way to find out how good MS is,let him call his own plays! He knows what throws he can make . MS is a studier,he actual knows you what are the stong points and weaknesses of the team we are playing unlike are OC and mindless Mike.Bet he could play much better calling his own plays .Big problem though with that is if he really does good,we could have a qb controversy and Tomlin does not want controversy.

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Conspiracy?
    :popcorn:

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    whenever you're positive in life I don;t know what to do lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  13. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    I don't think he lost confidence from that one. As a former competitive sports player I know all too well how you gotta know when you did everything you could and the error simply wasnt your fault. I'm sure the coaches knew it was all on Juju there

14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He’s not Ben. Ben has the confidence to thread the needle when guys are “kind of” open, Ben didn’t have that his first couple of years.

Also, take a look at what Ben had his early years...

Hines Ward
    Plaxico Burres
    Santonio Holmes
    Antonio Brown
    Heath Miller
    Jerome Bettis

There are other, 4 of those 6 players I listed are HoF or future HoF players.

Does anyone think that JuJu, Washington, Conner, McDonald are future HoF players?

Rudolph is a guy with less talent than Ben (no shame in that) playing with less talented offensive players, expected to perform like a future Hall of Famer playing around other HoF players....perspective please

also, how many years did Ben hold onto that ball before he figured out how to get rid of it quick?

what I see from Mason is a young QB making 2 reads then checking down if someone isn’t open. Taking what he is given with no true #1 WR and a poor running game. You know who started his career out doing that? Tom Brady. Not saying Mason is Tom Brady but Brady made a career out of the check down. Additional reads and the deep balls will come.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Who is Ms?

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We are doomed.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ok I’m confused are we or are we not doomed? lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Kind of concerning that we have 2 decent TE's and they are not being utilized for sure... Pretty good little option(s) to exploit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm mocking the people who don't have faith in Rudolph.

20. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Rudolph doesn't turn the ball over, something he is better at then Ben. I hope I didn't jinx him.

• Like Like x 1
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Exactly Stone.

McDonald is critical to this team for both his punishing talent and veteran experience. Line Vannett up also with some 2-TE sets. Get creative OC. Take the handcuffs off of Mason. The man knows how to play football. Yes, we are winning with this so-called water-downed formula but it is going to get stale real fast. We have talent at the WR position, young but talented. Tap into their strengths along with our diverse styles at the RB position. I was frequently predicting many of the next "O" play calls in our last game. STEELWINDS

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hard to believe this is true and they let Dobbs go and aren't playing the Duck. Wasn't Mason making these throws in preseason?

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Thanks Stone.

I too have been saying this all along; that I do not see what some folks are complaining about with Mason. I think he is doing a fine job up to this point. He is playing within the parameters that he has been given and for the most part excelling. The man can play. He was a baller at the collegiate level. That has to count for something. Right? Widen the game plan for him coaches. I think that we will be pleasantly surprised. Well maybe not me anyway because I am expecting more out of him. The receivers do have to get more separation though. And also, use the freakin' TEs more coaches; especially in 2-Set formations. STEELWINDS

24. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As a fan I agree with what has been said here, and I think Rudolph has done a fine job, but given the coaches are highly paid and experienced, and the players have been playing this game since a young age, there must be some good reason they aren't using the plays WE think they should be using. Those bubble screens were a quick out, little risk of pressure on the QB, and often gained some yards. A quick, successful play. A TE quick chip and then out in the hole in the zone was easy pickin's. Where have those gone? Are LBs too clued in on those plays now? Or are our current skill players not able to make these work? Inquiring minds want to know.

It'll be interesting to see as the rest of the season unfolds, if the plays get more creative, or stay vanilla because it works. So far it has been mostly successful. At least successful enough.

25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox.

Yes, I have been saying the same thing in regards to "Supporting Cast" for Mason. If you think about it this is a very young and raw "O" as far as the skilled player positions go. It is a young cohort (Mason, Connor, Washington, JuJu, Johnson) that all entered the league together given their proximities in age and pro-level experience.

I have stated this several times. It will come down to building chemistry and trust with one another which unfortunately is not going to happen overnight. However, if we can keep winning games, while simultaneously keep the gelling process moving in the right direction we can not ask for much more. This is where the "D" has to continue its part. On the other hand, young or not it is imperative that the "O" converts more TD's versus FGs with the opportunities that the "D" does create for them. The "O" has carried the "D" for years now. The tables have now turned. STEELWINDS