1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin's challenges today

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He's an idiot.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the first one was because Tomlin and Co. did not understand the rules; and probably the rest of the NFL.

I do not think you can challenge if the ball is catchable or not. I think it is just about physical contact.

The guy out of New York said the same thing; that he had never seen a PI challenge because the ball was uncatchable.

I noticed that when the ref came back and made the call that he clearly went out of his way to not say anything about the ball being ruled catchable; even though that was the entire reason Tomlin challenged the call.

3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    On the second challenge, the receiver did turn Nelson with his hands. It is defensive pass interference all day, if a DB turns a WR like that, so why not offensive pass interference? We have all heard the saying, "Two wrongs don't make it right." In the NFL two wrongs, make it three or four wrongs. On the first challenge, it looked to me like the feet got tangled, which is usually a no call.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    you can go further with the “no one knows anymore”, when you see what Johnson was called for last week as OPI and then allow what they did on that ball tonight!

5. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    it's become groundhog's day with Mike Tomlin each and every week. Only reason why the Steelers won today is because Adam Vinatieri lost his mojo. If that kick was anyone but him today, it's going in.

He is just a mess and I am tired of thinking about how bad of a coach he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought the same. It seemed so obvious the first one would get overturned, when it wasn't there was the case for just trying on the second. I'm not sure I'm convinced by the case, but a case nonetheless.

It's a shame when a billion dollar industry introduces a mechanism to ensure certainty in decision-making, and instead introduces what is essentially roulette wheel.

I also thought they would challenge the Samuels TD run, because the first replay showed his knee was on the defender's hand. It would be interesting to know what the reasoning was there. If it was "we'll get it in next time because we're at the 1", then I hope to God they learn from that...

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    At full speed I thought it was OPI.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The league should had never folded to the pressure to implement the PI rule if they won't allow the refs to make calls or over turn calls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The first challenge was incidental contact AND the ball was completely uncatchable. If you’re not going to overturn that, then why allow challenges at all? The replay review for PI is a joke and a waste of time. Just take it out of the game after the season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I'd actually prefer a roulette wheel to this current mess. No less arbitrary, but a better chance of getting the correct result

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I liked both challenges.

The first was blatantly uncatchable and the second was an obvious OPI with a fully extended arm by the WR clearly altering Nelson’s direction of travel.

Plays like this, that in my mind are clear and obvious, NOT being overturned in recent years makes me honestly wonder if there really is an anti-Steelers bias amongst some officials crews.

When it comes to Riveron it’s not even a question. He will hose the Steelers at every opportunity.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think so. I read that the coach must specify what they are to look for. Otherwise coaches would be issuing challenges and saying "check that play for anything that could be wrong"

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When I saw the title of this thread I thought "****, that list could be endless"

1. Find a way to look like you care.
    2. Eat your red flag before the game
    3. Learn that near the end of a half or end of a game, it might be wise to think about clock management.
    4. Keep an eye on Fuchtner
    5. Keep an eye on Bulter
    6. Think about how lucky you are to have your job
    7. Find a way to look like you care.
    8. Keep an eye on Fuchtner
    9. Keep and eye on Butler
    10. Win a game against a solid opponent.
    11. Let MR throw the ball so you can see what he has.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They definitely check for 2 feet down. Although with that play it wasn’t even questionable.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    If the coach says he wants the play reviewed for pass interference, they review it for pass interference only.