1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really!? Bush is the 8th best rookie?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LoneGranger, Oct 30, 2019.

1. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What is your point? If Bush is out of position, he's out of position. He looks lost. Once again, I will say that he needs to learn the position. Right now, he's a liability.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My point?! Very facsinating indeed. Allow me to explain.

If Bush was out of position, Indys Ground Game should have inflicted much more damage on the ground. For that matter, both Eric Ebron and Jack Doyle should have done more than just five catches for 38 yards combined. In short?! Pittsburgh should have lost today's game if Bush was as out of position as you say he was.

For that matter, if he is such a liability, he should be benched. Start Tyler Matakevich instead if that is the case. Watch what happens when that does happen.

Overall, as I said, the touchdown was oh most definitely his. He needs to do a better job not just maintaining his depth but also staying disciplined the same. That said, he has six turnovers due in part to that aggressivness. If he such a liability, why does he have six turnovers on the season?! Does thar constitue as being a liability?!

Now, to fully answer your question in terms of what is the point of Devin White being brought up in this discussion, here is why:

- He allowed Cris Carson to hit a 59 yard run early in the game.

- He commited a costly DPI penalty that allowed Seattle to end up winning the game.

- He is missing more tackles than Bush is at this current time.

Again,

[​IMG]

3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Your point is not quite as fascinating as you would like to think.

Bush is not the only defensive player on the field. He isn't the only player responsible for defending against the run. Being out of position may or may not impact the running game. He is also not covering tight ends on every play. His responsibilities change based on the defense called. So being out of position may not have allowed or denied the tight ends productivity. But if you watched the game, you would have noticed how our secondary was exposed and beaten when we weren't able to get pressure on Hoyer. He rarely blitzes, so where is he in coverage? Beats me.

And again, I could care less about Devin White. Last time I checked, he doesn't play for the Steelers. He isn't facing the same competition. He isn't a measuring stick for Bush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You asked what was the point of including Devin White into the discussion. You also stated Devin Bush has been out of position.

Now you are saying being out of position may or may not impact running plays. Which is it?! Furthermore, a better question.

Isn't being out of position repeatedly a detriment for your defense?!

5. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh my god. You brought up White. That had no bearing on the discussion. And a linebacker out of position while in coverage may or may not impact a running play. What's so difficult to understand? And why do I even have to answer whether being out of position is a detriment to the defense? You really want to be right about something, but I don't even know what you are trying to argue at this point. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I won't say hilarious but it is amusing to watch him grow through experiencing failure. Sometimes that teaches you the best.

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Very true, it worked for Lima’s Sweed. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You have seen him grow? I don't think it's possible to quantify "growth" at this point. He is still making the same mistakes.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Somebody always slips through the cracks. Failure won that battle, lol.

10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea, some are expecting another Jack Lambert. That would be nice though.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So you are saying if you take away the talent that made him such a high draft pick in the first place, he would be a bust. Maybe that's not what you intended, but that is what you wrote. Quickness is the key to Bush's game.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That Bush may be playing better than Devin White is irrelevant to a proper evaluation of Bush's play. What if White turns out to be a lousy pro? Do we still use him as the bar for Bush?

Bush is still often struggling in coverage, though to be fair, he wasn't the only one at fault for Doyle's touchdown. He was supposed to have safety help, but Fitzpatrick was slow to react.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Kinda maybe sorta like. Speed is great, and it probably was one of the components that figured into his being drafted. Why? Because Shazier's insane speed was missed so badly. But Ryan's greatest asset wasn't his speed. It was his instincts. And when he locked on to a ball carrier, he rarely ever missed the tackle. Bush doesn't have Shazier's instincts. And he doesn't play the position with confidence. Shazier did that from the jump.

Usain Bolt recently said he would sign with the Packers or Pats. I believe he's considered the fastest human alive. He certainly would stretch the field, but that's all he could do. Can he even catch? You see? If quickness is the key to Bush's game, he's already doomed.

So no, I never said he would be a bust if you took away his disruptive ability and physicality, because THAT is what made him such a high draft pick. His quickness is just what makes us ooo and ahh and make us compare him to Shazier. But until he can play the position at a high level, he'll always be Shazier's contrast, not comparison.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Shazier overran plays and missed tackles frequently, even after his rookie season. Bush is still learning, but that quickness is why he has big upside.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Bush at #8 seems about right to me as far as best rookies.

He has more of a nose for the ball than I gave him credit for.

He gets caught in the wash too often for my liking which will never change because he’s undersized.

He also has serious issues with TE shake routes. He’ given up at least 4 TD that I can think of including yesterday on this route, but I think he will improve in this area. He’s too quick to not eventually sort this out.

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Shazier rarely missed a tackle...He missed a lot of them my friend...That was his number 1 weakness...He would lower his head, and whiff...His constant lowering of his head, and bad tackling "form " ultimately cost him his career...Thank God it didn't cost him his legs

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Shazier is a bad example,wasn't anywhere near a game changer his first year. Jack Lambert made an immediate impact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Take it from me FormerScribe. Just don't even. Not worth your time.