1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph looks lost

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jack LHambert, Nov 3, 2019.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This. He missed an open DJ twice last week and JuJu once. He makes those throws and he has an prime Ben game. He literally just needs to get reps to improve. Time will tell if it works

• Like Like x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Another major point I wanted to add. Copied this from another thread. Here it is;

"Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and to a lesser extent in both Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson are all reasons why we should not give up on Mason. For better context, here are their stats thus far this season when comparing the QBs selected before Mason:

Mason Rudolph: 1088 Yards. 10 TDs/ 4INTs. 94.7 Rating.

Lamar Jackson: * 1650 yards. 11 TDs/5INTs. 94.1 Rating. *

*** Will Be Updated ***

Josh Allen: 1653 yards. 10TDs/7INTs. 82.9 Rating

Baker Mayfield: 1963 yards. 7TDs/12INTs. 71.2 Rating

Sam Darnold: 1077 Yards. 6 TDs/9 INTs. 70.5 Rating.

Outside the lack of yards, Mason is either exceeding or just behind with his fellow 2018 Draft Class contemporaries. There is another one though. His name is Kyle Allen and here he is below:

Kyle Allen: 1291 Yards. 9 TDs/4INTs. 87.8 Rating.

Again, much of the same with Mason vs Kyle. Kyle leads with yards and fewer INTs thrown but lags behind Mason in other categories. Not that big a difference.

Overall, for a guy making just five starts, Mason is doing very well. Yes, he still has his shortcomings he will need to improve on. However, he has yet to reach his ceiling in my opinion.

In short?! Context everyone. Give Mason some more time. For that matter, tell Randy to stop getting him killed."

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yet Edmunds has the longest run from scrimmage this year today.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Brady just threw an INT that was very Ben and Favre-like. Why can't he throw those against us?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The starting qb is probably not on this team yet and we definitely need a #1wr

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Please add josh rosen to the mix.

Also their sack stats would be nice. Mason is impressing me by not taking thr sacks that most young qbs take. He already kniws how to throw the ball away and that is a skill most young guys take firever to learn.

Mason has played in 6 games and has been sacked 6 times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    There are several issues...... But first let’s remember Ben sucked as a rookie... he had a winning record thanks to his defense and he has the WORSE stats for a winning SB QB.......

#1- Mason is very young and his biggest issue right now is pocket awareness and Pocket Mobility.
    #2- The coaches are afraid to win..... they are trying so very hard NOT to lose the game.
    #3- The play calling is horrible...... they went to Samuels way too much.... a good DC will destroy Fitchners game plan !!!
    #4- Our OL was once a strength but now a weakness ..... how many snap did Banner get as an extra blocker ???

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I think we all knew the Colts were/is a good team but where was the deep pass yesterday? And what is this stat 450 air yards, we were down 14 early....very early of course he had to air it out. He ended up with 251 passing yards which I thought was pretty good considering how he started. As for DJ being opened and him missing him, wow I feel like I am listening to high school parents complain. The QB position is a very difficult position and snap decision have to be made. It isn't as easy as having time to look at the whole field and finding the wide open guy, some plays are designed to go certain places and you will have wide open guys....I have seen Ben do the same thing as well as many other good QB's. What I think is Fitch needs to take the training wheels off of MR and let him spread his wings a little more. jmo :smiley1:

9. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Tomlin: "Mason needs to help Mason!" (Post game 11.3.2019)

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He needs more reps I liked edmunds

11. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Pocket awareness & Pocket mobility...... his internal clock needs adjusting also......

With time and a clean pocket he’s a very good passer and makes good decisions.....

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ravens have Brandon Williams in the middle of that line, we don’t.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Lets hope he gets his Pocket awareness & Pocket mobility soon. Some QB it takes a while and some never get it. Never saw it much before with his limited playing time but very obvious now. This may take working on it the whole off-season. Right now just too much of a statue in the pocket, he got to get better at moving his feet in the pocket. All the really good ones are master of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The rest of the offense needs to help him out. Other than Washington no one made a play for him. The line had a bad game and the running game was mostly nonexistent other than the one run.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If the O-line plays like it did vs Colts... Rams are gonna have a field day. Aaron Donald is gonna wreak havoc. Hope the Steelers have a plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hope Randy has a plan the same. Nevermind protecting Mason. Protect the offense against Donald.

Aaron Donald can change games instantly. This is not even accouting for his new best friend in Jalen Ramsey either. It is bad enough JuJu has not been getting the production due in part to not just his own but Randy's inability to give him other routes.

Adding arguably the game's best Cornerback in Ramsey?!?! Oh boy!!! I wonder what will happen?!?!?! :facepalm:

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Mason was the best QB of his class in both aspects. For that matter, he showed improvement year over year at OK State. I do not think those things go away; Mason's work ethic to be better the same.

That said, you are correct. Mason has to do better in that regard. I am hoping he got any remaining rust from that brutal hit he took from Earl Thomas. The likes of Donald, Brockers and Fowler Jr. will not be as forgiving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Our OL doesn't match up well against their DL. This could get ugly quick. Need to go max protect with Vannett, Banner and McDonald.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh dont worry. Everythig will be fine. Would you like to know why?!

Randy will go for the killshot at the most inopportune time. Does not make sense does it?! I wondered the same yesterday in Pittsburgh's own goaline with Pittsburgh having possession.

• Like Like x 1
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben's stats might have sucked as a rookie, Ben didn't suck as a rookie. He did what was asked and expected of him.
    Also, Ben didn't win the SB as a rookie, maybe I'm misunderstanding this:
    "he has the WORSE stats for a winning SB QB.."

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think Rudolph has been solid and he can play better but he is making plays when he needs too and completing a lot of his passes and not making critical mistakes at key times during the game. He is tough mentally and seems like he has a short memory when bad things happen and comes back and makes some big plays that are big factors in the Steelers winning games.

22. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Can we give the kid at least a year of starts before we call him a bust? For goodness' sake, he didn't even get all of the second team reps in training camp because he was battling with Dobbs.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Brady was seeing ghosts against the Ravens.

24. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

That was his 1st SB and he is/was the youngest qb to ever win ... the 2nd SB he should have been SBMVP

25. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I think he's better than Neil O'donnell and we went to the Super Bowl with him. He couldn't throw down the field for jack.

It was very rare to see Neil throw a completion beyond 15 yards.

Rudolph at least is better throwing down field. Needs to get better between 5-15 yards.