1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets make this perfectly clear!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steeler dane, Nov 3, 2019.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Good gauge on how good a head coach is to look at his coaching tree..... How many years has Tomlin been the Steelers HC and how many HC has he produced or how many asst have become Coordinators Some where else? How many season including this one has the Steelers exited Pre-season and training and entered the reg season totally unprepared???

This team is fighting but is that due to Tomlin or Player Captains And Vets like Heyward demanding their teammates to fight on. Why Has Tomlin kept asst who are underperforming??? Butler has how many 1st rd picks on his defense?? Fitchner had the killer B’s and still did nothing....... I will say Fitchner and Butler were friends with Tomlin before he was hired here so where is his loyalty??????

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a slightly different take. When things aren’t looking good, he has a way of rallying the troops and getting the team to believe. However, when things are going well, the team finds a way to flop. It’s like he projects confidence that helps lift the team up when it’s down, but results in overconfidence when things look good. Look at recent history:

2018: start 1-2-1, things looking grim, rip off 6 straight. Then at 7-2-1, things looking great, rip off 3 straight losses. Then at 7-5-1, things looking grim again, beat the Pats in a must-win game, and then outplay the Saints in their house before falling due to a variety of factors (phantom PI calls, stupid fake punt, JuJu’s fumble)

2017: start 3-2 with Ben having a horrid game vs. Jacksonville, turn it around to go 13-3; but then frickin squander their good fortune with an absolute egg vs. Jacksonville in the playoffs.

2016: start 4-5, things looking grim, win 9 straight to get to AFCCG. I can’t fully lay the AFCCG loss at his feet as we were outgunned when Bell went out and with Coates and some other guy who was out of the league the following year as our #2 and #3 receivers.

2015: control our own destiny on cruise control for division title, lose an inexplicable game to a depleted Ravens team with Ryan Maillett; then a few weeks later play in Denver with no Brown, no Bell, no DWill, and almost take down the eventual champs but for Toussaint’s untimely fumble.

To me it’s no surprise that we’re finding a way to win games. The chips are down, and Tomlin’s teams have a way of holding together and winning when things look grim. The Ravens winning last night may be a blessing because it keeps things looking grim. If we ever get to the point where we’re in the drivers seat for a playoff spot - well, that’s when Tomlin will need to find a way to keep the hunger ramped up to max.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    I have got your back MTD.

Some people are sweating Tomlin here based on the emotions of yesterday's game. Hey I am extremely ecstatic when we win. Of course I want us to win. Whoever is at the helm then I guess they get credit for the win as they do a loss. If you are wearing the "Black and Gold" then I am pulling for you. From the training room staff up to the head coach.

However, Tomlin was given a gift of a team when he signed up. He did what he was suppose to do. Win and he did; one Super Bowl and a trip to another. It became evident though as Cowher's player went off into the sunset Tomlin's "true" coaching abilities (or lack there of came to light).

Given that, he has totally mismanaged this team the past eight years or so with all of the offensive talent that he had to work with. Three playoff wins to show for it. Plus isn't he suppose to be a "Defensive Guru"? If he could of put a defense together with the Brown/Bell/Ben crew we probably would have stacked several more rings my friends. The secondary has been our weakest link up to this point and that is suppose to be his specific area of expertise.

Yes, he may be good at getting the players to stick together when the heat is on, and yes that too is part of a good coach. However, he really has not proven much to me when it comes to being a tactician/strategist. I will enjoy yesterday's victory like all of you but will not give nearly the credit to Tomlin for it like some here. Given that, I will remain open-minded and see how the rest of the season plays out. STEELWINDS

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Good Take Steel_Elvis

I think that some here today are "pumped" from an exciting win yesterday as I am too. However, as I said in another post here in this thread I think the Tomlin supporters are still running off of an extra flow of adrenaline in their bodies. Hey that is cool too. Just try to stay level-headed, definitely enjoy the win; I know I am. However, I am not going to give Tomlin a pass for all of his shortcomings because we had such an emotional win today. I will stay optimistic and pull for Tomlin because he is our leader. Just like I did for Noll and Cowher and eventually Tomlin's successor. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Popcorn has never been a tactician/strategist. He is alot like T. Dungy minus the 'in-game intelligence'.

6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If he is bad at all that, and doesn't run the Offense or Defense,What is he good for...Except staring and fist pumping

7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Disco how is it going my friend?

Yes, I ask myself the same question. Tomlin has some good attributes I am sure but not those that are needed to be a "Complete" HC. I think that he can motivate to a degree and hold the troops together when all does look lost at times but that is not enough. As I have stated in other posts, the way to get around an administrator's shortcomings is through a strong supporting cast. Unfortunately, I do not believe that our OC and DC fit that bill. I have seen horrible Principals at various schools but those who were most successful had strong Assistant Principals, Department Heads, and Teachers to strengthen up their shortcomings.

You can stand around and look cool as a cucumber if you know that you have the right staff in place to make you look good. Well, Tomlin has the "stand around and look cool" part down to a "T". He just does not have the supporting cast that allows him to do so.

Once again, on a side note, X-Country is a real man's sport. No timeouts, No substitutions, No one to cover up your mistakes. Just you against your opponent trying to get from Point A to Point B faster than him. Pass that on to your son if you have not from our last conversation. Take care Disco. STEELWINDS

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    4-4, .500
    Tomlin is on pace for yet another legacy season; non-losing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep MT is incredible, beating a garbage Fish team , gets lucky with a short missed field goal, and throws away 2 timeouts in a close game...Give him a raise!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We need him to hold the challenge flag. That might be a mistake.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Tomlin seems like he needs adversity to be an effective coach.

Steel_Elvis: Thanks for the greater explanation. This describes Tomlin's mojo very well.

12. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The first challenge was the right call. He had to challenge that. It was a clearly uncatchable ball. I guarantee he would be getting excoriated on here if he had not challenged that call. The second was stupid, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree. Ben does better under adversity also.

14. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is true, but Tomlin should have taken the way these replays are being handled in to account. If I remember correctly, the only time all season that a pass interference call was overturned was the one the Seahawks got against the Steelers. That has to be particularly galling to Tomlin, but those calls just aren't being reversed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense with a big assist from the officials. That pass interference call was a disgrace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Exactly.

18. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's not overreact either way..... yesterday's win against Indy.... was a win against a team in a very similar situation as us...... Luck retired.... #2 QB got hurt..... and we would have lost to #3 QB..... except Dan Marino forgot to put the LACES OUT.

The team is making a valiant effort to be competitive, considering the personnel moves we've made during the season..... but I'm not sure how much of that was Tomlin vs Colbert. We have seen significant injuries, and have been fortunate that the next man up has been serviceable under most circumstances, but I'm not sure any of our wins really qualify as something to get excited about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The 1 time that he should've thrown the flag was at the goal line, runners knee didn't hit the ground it was on the defenders arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This is his best year because this is the first year that he's seriously been exposed. He has to do some coaching this year because ... he can no longer hide behind the future hof qb. He get no pass from me. If he was more involved in previous years then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation that we are in now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thanks Buddy, Will do...Not a Tomlin fan which has been well documented...But, We are playing well against a pretty crappy hand...QB,RB, No return game whatsoever, Lost Tuitt who looked like a Monster... Those are the downs...

The Ups...Watt, What a Beast, Minkah, What a Beast, DuPree, Playing really well...Bush showing flashes- Rookie or not he should be, Us moving up so far, and he has shown great flashes, Heyward coming around...Ragdolled the greatest lineman to ever play Nelson ( Been hearing that **** from more than one anylist ) Actually forklifted Nelson into Brisett on the injury play...And the rest have not sucked, playing solid

Been fun to watch this team without all the Dbags...( Well after the first 3-4 games ) Which we very easily - Should have won

Go Steelers!

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Disco.

Yeah, IMO we should be 7-1 by all accounts. Blunders and bone-headed miscues have cost us big time up to this point in the season. Take care. STEELWINDS

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Man, and I hate to say this, but the ravens loss alot of players last year and look at them. They had no business winning the division last year. But, when you're coached well and draft well. Well you see the outcome

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't think Hairball would be there w/o making the playoffs last year. But yes, he has them playing good inconsistent football.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. That was a big screw up that seemed to get lost after the game. Fouts argued that it was right not to waste a challenge with the ball inches away, but you still have to gain those inches and that was far from a sure thing with their current goal-line back being a practice squad guy.

• Agree Agree x 1