1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Steelers a better team than we think?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 4, 2019.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We know the offense is weak but the defense has been punishing quarterbacks and is getting takeaways at a pretty astounding rate. Are the Steelers actually a good team?

Think about it this way: Three of Pittsburgh's four losses were REALLY close, with a two-point loss to a very good Seahawks team, a four-point loss to an elite defensive 49ers team and a three-point defeat to the Ravens. Had Conner not fumbled in San Fran and JuJu at home against the Ravens, we're likely looking at a 6-2 team.

Obviously, that didn't happen, and we got fairly lucky yesterday, but the narrative is completely different if we pull those out.

Are we good, lucky, or somewhere in between? Do we truly have a shot at the playoffs?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Next week will tell a lot.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This team is better than a LOT of people on here think they are!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me, they are a better team given their circumstances. That said, they have to play better overall. So far this season, games have come down to one critical mistake or one egregious play call.

That in it of itself seperates this teams record from 4-4 to 6-2 should those mistakes be nullified.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They need to get consistent. Tackle better. Block better. Get a passing game.:cool:

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Whew man..

You are not kidding! In more ways than one. Nevermind players like Dante Fowler, Eric Weddle or even Jalen Ramsey. Aaron Donald by himself is an IMMENSE concern.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Considering the injuries much better then I thought they would be.

Sunday I think Mason is going to freak out seeing Donald in his face.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I posted in the General NFL forum that we were one fumble away in OT from beating the team that just manhandled the Patriots last night. Also we went into LA and won with Ducky Hodges as QB. This same Charger team dominated Aaron Rodgers yesterday.
    I have know idea what's going to happen week after week. I do know that if we keep winning the turnover battle it will win a lot of games for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    It was a sloppy game on both sides of the ball. Defense looks better now than it has in many years, but still vulnerable to the better QBs of the league. Offense is a work in progress. Play calling needs to improve in the red zone.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Can I wear my Pitt Donald jersey on Sunday to cover all bases?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Steelers are a fundamentally sound team but injuries and the lack of Redzone offence is a huge issue. We saw yesterday that they can work the ball up the field but too often they are settling for a field goal. If they were converting these turnovers in to seven points more often they would win most games.

it’s worth mentioning how well the pass rushers are doing, Watt is a machine and even Bud Dupree has been excellent. Their play is forcing errors and giving the secondary a platform for all these turnovers. If they think Bud can keep playing at this level they should try to keep him.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I fear that Dupree will pull a "Lamarr Woodley" once he gets his 2nd contract... loafing on plays, etc. Need to pick up a free agent OLB in the offseason, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    We are 1-2 in road games so far, and 5 of these last 8 games are road games, we got lucky to beat the chargers who was decimated with injuries, getting some players back they went after the packers yesterday and the packers were flat which helped them out, but we have 5 road games left which dont bode well for our record in away games so far, and the rams will be ready for us this week, are we ready for them???

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they are the best throughout all sports. The best team ever (Steelers, not necessarily this years).

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    A decent team; not great but not awful, not unlike some of the 80's and late 90's teams.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes it’s worrying that he waited until his contract year to start playing. I don’t like the idea of breaking up that duo when they are so effective but you make a good point.

If you find a way to keep both and Bud doesn’t regress they will be set at a key position for the next 4-5 years.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    One was week one up in Foxboro, who really wins up there not many teams.
    The other was against the 49ers the last remaining unbeaten team (who would probably beat if not for a Conner fumble)

I think the Steelers can play on the road.

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The whole 3 of our losses were close is meaningless. Close games are coin flips and if you play a lot of them you'll win some and lose some. Truly good teams don't play a lot of close games. They put their opponents away. If you look at the standings the top 4 teams in the conference in point differential (Patriots, Ravens, Texans, and Chiefs) are all leading their divisions.

Steelers are 7th in the AFC in point differential and 7th in the playoff standings.

They could definitely improve and get better as the season progresses, but right now they are what their record says they are.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    This is probably where I am. FWIW, I think the Steelers end 8-8... MAYBE 9-7 and outside the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    1-2 on the road is right but let's face it the Chargers game was a home game in LA. ;)

21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    They’re one of 5 teams with 4 wins peaking at that last Wild Card spot currently.

22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Player wise, I think the future is bright, and would be especially so if the cap had been managed better. I don't see them doing any damage this year. We're in a dog fight for the #6 seed.

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers can upset the Rams this week that will go a long way to making the playoffs. They are the last really good team that the Steelers play until the Ravens in the last game of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Are the Steelers a better team than we think?

Depends how good you think they are. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    It's really hard to judge this team. We play to the level of our competition. It does have all the characteristics of a Mike Tomlin coached team... at times looks awesome, incredibly inconsistent and sloppy other times, can't cover the middle of the field, play calling that more often has you saying WTF!, along with the timely HR's and big plays that seem to keep us in games. As long as we are not playing the Patriots we seem to play to the level of the competition - good and bad.

Offense seems to be declining, defense seems to be improving - ST's is consistently bad. Seems like an 8-8 team to me. Which is probably 2-4 wins better than what I was thinking when Ben went down. The jury is out on Mason. He holds the ball too long, seems to really struggle reading defenses, accuracy 10yards+ down field is suspect, has a good arm though, and seems comfortable in the pocket. To be honest I wonder if we wouldn't score more points with the Duck behind center right now. He seems to have that "it" that we saw in Ben early in his career...he's a gamer, but with less skills. Mason is the look of a good pocket passer but can't find open WR's , has no ability to hit a WR in stride, and has yet to execute a timing play. In today's NFL even a rookie should be able to complete passes down field. He's like a pocket passing Kordel Stewart.

Our defense is letting teams go up and down the field on us, we have no ability to protect the middle of he field (it has to be schematic doesn't it?) Watt is the best LB since Harrison, he causes alot of problems for defenses. Bush is a tackling machine and fast... he's a year or two away from being the play maker we need. MF has looked the part of a 1st round pick. At the time I thought it was a stupid trade thinking we'd have a top 5 pick. Now we look to be 8-8 and we desperately needed a safety that can at least play avg football. It's early but that trade is looking genius right now.

Like in baseball, you can only get so far hitting HR's in timely spots. Come playoff time you have to be able to sustain long drives and play sound team football. Once again all the traits of a MT team that will have no chance winning in the post season.