1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you expect from Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 29, 2019.

1. He is the ultimate gamer and will come back with renewed committmemnt to winning.

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. He will struggle to return to greatness.

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Watching the current version of the Steelers offense makes me miss Ben. I wonder what to expect from him when he returns?

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I voted for the first option because that's what I hope for, but only time will tell.

3. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Stone.

I think ben will return just fine. Unfortunately, this injury was season-ending. As I try to look at the glass half-full, at least Mason and Hodges are getting invaluable experience. They need to make the best of every opportunity and all playing time that they do get. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I believe that for whatever faults Ben has, or has had, he desperately wants to win! I just hope the arm heals and he has another two or three more good years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I expect an even fatter slob like Roethlisberger on his last leg next year. Prob his last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I expect him to still be a good to very good QB but no longer amongst the top QBs. And that was before the injury. The guy is going to be 38 and he's not exactly renown for keeping in shape. Brady isn't really one of the top QBs anymore, i.e. Wilson, Mahomes, Rodgers. Even without the injury a decrease in his capabilities was to be expected. Coming off the injury you'd have to think there will be a little further decline then would have come from just time.

7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I expect-dream a 7 for 1 trade next season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I do miss his arm strength at times, noticeably difference with MR and Duck.

9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I miss his arm strength, a noticeable difference with MR and Duck.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Gonna get flamed for this, but at this point, Rudolph has more upside than Roethlisberger. Just don't see Ben playing at the level he was 5-7 years ago... and this is what we'd expect from him in 2020. '04 draft class....Roethlisberger, E. Manning and Rivers are all in decline. It's time for these guys to call it day, IMO.

It's a tragedy the Steelers wasted the window of 2014-2017. 4 seasons where Steelers had more than enough talent to earn a Super Bowl berth and fell short. Reminds me of early 80's Chargers and late '90's Vikings.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    You read and hear this all the time when evaluating pro qb arm strength:

Arm strength is overrated in QB evaluation. The pro game is played in a 10-15 yard box where accuracy, timing and anticipation matter far more than pure arm strength. Just look at Brees + Brady. The bulk of their throws are <10 yards. Hi-comp%/efficiency

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep... Michael Vick, Jeff George, Dante Culpepper... the list goes on.... all had monster arms, but never got to the big game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Don't worry, I've heard Ben is learning to throw with his left hand and should be ready to go by training camp. We're good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben’s injury is like a dry rotted rubber band snapping. He barely played in preseason and allegedly got hurt in game one. My guess is next season, very early, another rubber band will break. That doesn’t get better with time and rest.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I expect Ben to shave and look presentable, he looks homeless!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I must be living in Seinfeld's Bizarro World; I concur with everything you just said HM and it makes perfectly good sense. Someone please cue Supertramp's Logical Song to complete the Trifecta. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    He'd look right at home out here on the Left Coast. :rolleyes:

18. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I saw an ad in Cleveland soliciting Browns fans, you should apply!:smiley1:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Browns fans exist?.. Cool. Not one of them though sorry

20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ben at 75% of what he was 5-7 years ago is far better than anything else we have ......for now. His awareness, savy, expertise, experience, etc make him far better.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Good points Stone but serious question: what % was BB playing in the opener against the Pats? From where I was sitting it didn't even look to be 75%. Who knows where he'll be next year after the serious injury and the whole year off? But, truth be known, Steelers always seem to make the opener look just like a 5th pre-season game and the week following the BYE as a 6th pre-season game. Both cases played out once again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Yes they are definitely getting invaluable experience and starting to deliver. LOVE that Mason said he appreciated the booed he got early on last night and that he understands there's a standard of success that's expected. He bounced back nicely and showed some poise. I hope he keeps stepping his game up.

23. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    These are all mind numbing questions and since we have suspect coaching, it's virtually impossible to gauge where the strengths and weaknesses are.

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As a forever optimist who named my son Ben, I expect Ben to come back, arm intact, capable of taking this team to the Superbowl.

Having said that, there is a long list of QBs considered franchise QBs who never took their team to the dance (Fouts, Rivers (okay, mostly Chargers QBs)) (Moon, Krieg, Cunningham). There is even a longer list of QBs who were just not good enough (Bledsoe, A Smith, Palmer, Testaverde, Romo, Cutler, Plummer, Stafford, Dalton, Harbaugh, Everett, White, Vick, Garcia, and etcetera). There's even a list of guys who took their teams, but in all reality weren't that good (Dilfer, et al).

So, when I hear folks say we wasted all these years with Ben, in some ways I agree, in others I feel like that is just the nature of this game. The defense became too expensive and then old and slow. We had a major setback with Shazier's injury. Maybe, this team on both sides of the ball can come together, forge an identity, and give Ben a team worth one last shot.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1