1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars episode 9

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by thorn058, Apr 12, 2019.

1. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Darth Sidious' master was Darth Plagueis, who was said to be able to use the Force to create life. Maybe this is something that Sidious mastered before he died, and used it to somehow bring himself back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oooh, good thinking. That would pass the sniff test.

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    There is no saving this trilogy. TLJ absolutely deystroyed any chance of that. I blame Kathleen Kennedy. They had no plan at all, except to make 3 movies. TFA was "good enough" and left us intrigued with all these questions. Rey's parents, who is Snoke?, Lukes lightsabre, Vader mask, Knight's of Ren, and what is Luke doing?

Then Johnson completely abandoned everything and did whatever he wanted, and Kennedy signed off on all of it. She allowed it. It was a disaster. There's no saving this sh*t.

She is a joke. Rogue One had to be almost completely re-shot and it still sucked. She fired Lorde and Miller after a year of pre production and 6 months of principle photography on Solo, which bombed. Hired R. Howard to reshoot 80% it. She hired Josh Trank, then fired him. Then she hired Colin trevorrow for ep 9 and fired him.

My whole freakin life was Star Wars till 4 years ago. Even though the prequels were one of the major disappointments of life, it didn't make me hate or become completely indifferent towards the brand as a whole. But in just a few short years of Disney's crap, I don't give a damn anymore. I didn't go to Solo, and they won't be getting my money on this one either. This looks like most desperate thing Ive ever seen. A nostalgia bomb of ridiculous proportions. C'mon man. We're bring the Emperor back? Death Star AGAIN? They know they've botched it so bad with anything original that they actually did that they have to go back to the beginning to see if they can get anybody to go watch this turd.

4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Tell us what you really think :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Gee, I wonder how they'll blow up the Death Star this time!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I honestly don't know which thread this belongs in - perhaps both.

Game of Thrones' show runners Benioff and Weiss (more commonly referred to as D&D or Dumb and Dumber) recently had a Q&A session in some event in Austin. Someone live tweeted their nonsensical remarks. They basically admitted to being frauds. They revealed themselves to be talentless hacks who rode the coattails of GRRM and had zero idea what they were doing. Nor did they really care at all about the source material (debatable if they even read past book 3). They actively encouraged their actors to NOT read the books (so they can ignore basic elements of the character). They even intentionally killed off Barristen Selmy because the actor was a huge book nerd who expressed disapproval of their changing the story. They bragged that that kept the other actors in line. And practically admitted to phoning in the last few seasons.

But - just perhaps as a result, no matter how they TRY to spin it - this happened tonight:

https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/29/ga...ertainmentweekly_ew&__twitter_impression=true

:rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk::rawk:

• Like Like x 2
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1188186578071556102.html

Or summed up rather succinctly:

The Freefolk subreddit is going apes***t right now. Between that awful Q&A and their now firing off of Star Wars... yeah. :D

Come on Netflix. surely you can't be that desperate. Read the tea leaves. ;) Do the right thing. :stogie::butcher:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Mandalorian, Obi series and Rogue prequel

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Where do you stand on Karen Traviss?

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The Mandalorian made my inner geek happy. We got beskar! However my true Star Wars geek was annoyed that instead of recording the new characters doing the languages, they just reused phrases from the movies. Like the Jabba scene in a New Hope or the Gardian spy from the same movie. I hate that I watched enough to pick that out lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    6F190354-AA77-4D15-8E23-98FA6E7E12D8.jpeg 9A5E57CD-67CD-4ABF-82CF-7A53CB56B2E0.jpeg EB089676-C141-446A-9E3D-19C89C149AFC.jpeg

13. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I saw Star Wars when it first came out in 1977 on a class trip in first grade and I’ve not missed one in theaters since. But this will be the first I miss. I’m tired of idiot actors who don’t know their a$$ from a hole in the ground preaching to me on what to think. I’m done with them.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    35324D2E-CF9A-4611-9DE9-6323E0E68BE8.jpeg

15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It was everything I had hoped for and more. I'm going to savor the experience for a few days before I let idiots ruin it with nitpicking.

The Force will be with you....always

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    It has to be better than the last 2 starwars made right???? lol

17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Solo and Last Jedi?

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Not Solo that was a stand alone like Rogue O ... Iwas talking abt Last jedi and the one b4 it .. both i thoght was awful......... side note i liked Solo

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought you might have been talking about the force awakens but wanted to make sure since Solo got some very mixed reactions.

20. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I enjoyed it...lots to nitpick though. I sure wish they would have explained the way the Imperial forces worked a little better like the books. That and the way they throw arbitrary timelines out that just don't make sense. Why not say we have to get to "X" before "X" happens and we don't know how long we got?

21. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    One thing that bothers me about TROS... The same promise that drove Anakin into Darth Vader comes easy for Ray with no moral dilemma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    After all of these years I found out my parents have a friend that was one of the X-Wing fighter pilots in the original. Of course he died, but still. How they managed to hide this little nugget from me for all these years is dumbfounding

23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Here's my review:

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Finally saw it.

[​IMG]

Look, I fully understand it was never going to be 100% satisfactory. But Disney should burn all 3 movies, hand the rights back to George Lucas with heartfelt apologies, and NEVER make anything Star Wars again.

I thought the prequels were bad. Now I'm nostalgic for friggin Jar Jar compared to this last trilogy!

I really would like to know what the original plan for this story was before Johnson came in and completely flipped the table over and scattered the pieces. The first movie, as much of a ripoff of A New Hope that it was, seemed to be wanting to set up big things for later, only for the second movie to flush everything down the toilet, and this one trying to hard course correct. But still the story changed.

But, hey. The Skywalker family were basically nothing special. Anakin's redemption meant nothing at all. Luke was useless. Both he and his sister basically committed suicide by literally giving up their life's worth of force for... what? Exactly? Ben Solo / Kylo Ren was a whiny jagoff with simultaneously immense power and yet also weak and easily beaten over and over again. Hell, he even lost to a mirage. Han died for nothing. And in the end, the "hero" of the whole SKYWALKER SAGA isn't even a Skywalker!!!! What the Baba Frick?!?! You can take the whole Skywalker family out of all 9 movies, and it all basically ends the same. "Destiny" was always going to lead to Rey being the final one standing and the end of the Sith. Ugh...

(And yet, I still had fun watching? Am I a masochist?)

25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm surprised there wasn't much more talk about this movie. Maybe people not wanting to give out spoilers. Here's my thoughts.

I thought Episode 9 was ok. I had very low expectations and I kind of think they were exceeded.

As has been pointed out, Episode 8 is the biggest trash film and likely derailed this entire trilogy.

Overall. Episodes 7, 8 and 9 make up the worst of the 3 trilogies most of which falls on the failures of Episode 8. I thought 9 tried to stitch it back together and had some good moments and flowed pretty good overall even if the ending wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Even though I loved Episodes 4 and 5, Return of the Jedi never sat well with me and it was actually the first Star Wars movie I saw. The first scene rescuing Han was amazing but then the whole movie was just uninteresting I thought. They redeemed it with the ending but the middle of the movie just isn't for me.

I always liked the prequels. I know some found them very bad. But if you take Jar Jar and Hayden Christiansen's acting out the story lines are pretty good and they had amazing action scenes.

Going back to 7, 8 and 9 I think most people can see how they mirrored 4,5 and 6. Lazy for sure. It's sad with all the time and resources that's what they ended up with. But if you compare 4 to 7, 5 to 8 and 6 to 9, I think 9 actually is the only close battle. I will have to give it another watch but I was really into it before it kinda fell apart in the last 30-40 minutes.

Anyone else have any thoughts?