1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Games like Miami's make me the most nervous.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 17, 2019.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

You keep believing that

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Conflict of interest?

what the heck are you talking about? Does NY Steelerfan have some official decision-making position within the Steelers and will he achieve some sort of personal benefit from their failures?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    His interest/desire in wanting Tomlin fired is going against his interest/desire in the Steelers winning. How can he route for the Steelers to win if he wants Tomlin fired? Sounds like a conflct to me. That's what I'm talking about.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s not a conflict of interest if they’re winning in spite of what Tomlin is actually doing to contribute to the wins. I thought it was player execution that was responsible for wins and losses. So Tomlin isn’t really determining outcomes.

5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL. That's not a conflict of interest.

A conflict of interest occurs when someone has the potential for personal gain when making decisions in an official capacity. For example, a boss awarding a business contract to a company that his spouse owns.

NY Steelerfan is just a fan (I think). Like the rest of us.

Even if what you're trying to say is that wanting the Steelers to win but Tomlin to be fired don't align, that's not even true. His reasoning would be short-term pain for long-term gain. That's just a matter of strategy and priorities, not some sort of logic flaw.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not having a losing season is impressive for how many years he has coached. Tomlin is no Belicheat but that stat paints Popcorn as a successful coach. Teams usually don't get rid of a coach that makes the playoffs every year.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They didn't make the playoffs last year, probably won't this year. Just sayin...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I don't think they make the playoffs this year either, we may be surprised by Popcorn. :eek:

Do you think the Steelers would have Ben weigh-in on going with a new coach the next few years? The get rid of Tomlin argument is premature imo.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Another anomaly?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    A losing season will be. :shrug:

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't even try to guess what the front office is thinking anymore. Acquiring Minkah made my season for this year.
    I agree that Tomlin talk is premature. Including Ben in 'new coach talks' would prove AB right (about that particular claim), no?

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    2 anomalies, is that even possible?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok you got one right;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes it would. Jealousy cut him deep. I assume they don't want to topple the apple cart for the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Think outside the box. There is a conflict of his interest in the Steelers winning and wanting Tomlin fired. Tomlin isn't going anywhere as long as the team continues to win.

What I am saying is true. There is no guarantee that there will be long term gain. Take a look around the league. Firing one of the best coaches in the league could be a mistake.

I recognize the overall body of work and not just the negatives. I recognize that this team hasn't quit and is fighting hard to win games. A play here or there this season and they would had won more games. The team isn't stinking up the joint on a weekly basis. For me this is having the ability to recognize why Tomlin remains the HC of this team.

Why do you think Tomlin is still the HC of this team?

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If our HC was good, would execution be an issue for 8 straight years?

Sure a good coach can have a bad year or two in rebuilding mode. Tomlin has had elite talent at his disposal. At what point has he made our team better? Where's the progress? I see a sloppy team every year trying to keep in playoff contention. Not winning playoff games just trying to get in. The typical Tomlin team barely gets into the playoffs and/or fails miserably when he does manage to get in. ... 8-9 years in a row now.

You must consider the fact that he's had a HOF QB, multiple top 5 WR's , RB's, O-line, and 7 or 8 defensive 1st round picks. And lets not forget about Shazier, Harrison, Tuitt, Heyward, and 5 years of Troy. At what point do we all admit the HC isn't getting it done? When Tomlin replaced coordinators did we improve? The only time I can recall a serious change in quality of play was when Munchak came to town. The offense had more talent than anyone during most of Tomlin's tenure.

Last 8 years we have made the playoffs 4x. We manged to win a playoff game twice in the last 8 seasons. (not counting this season) This season will likely be the 4th time in the last 8 years missing the playoffs. 3 years in a row of not winning a playoff game. That's not progress. Good HC's dont do that. Not sure why this is even a debate any longer. Tomlin's reputation as a winner sits solely on his first 5 seasons. 2 SB's with Cowher's roster and coaching staff. The last 9 years has been mostly failure.

This fact says it all: Assuming we do not win a playoff game this year - Over the last 9 seasons we have only twice managed to win a playoff game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Obviously the GM and ownership disagree with you.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I ROOT for the Steelers to win, I don't drive anywhere on route..............:smiley1: If the Steelers win the super bowl this year no way am I calling for MT to be fired. The fact that we haven't been to one with the talent that we have/had since 2010 has me at a point NOW that I am ready to move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I sure the heck am a fan and just want to win!!!!!

20. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

I suspect the GM and owners have a different goal in mind than the fans. Clearly they are just happy contending for a playoff spot and making insanely amounts of $. From a GM or owner perspective there is risk when changing coaches. On a risk / reward basis does it make sense for the owners to make a change to the entire coaching staff? I get their view point, but that doesn't make Mike Tomlin a good HC.

After 8-9 years of essentially the same results do you honestly think the owners and GM think something will suddenly change for the better? It probably makes sense for their own security to wait till we have a season of total failure before making wholesale changes. Again that doesn't make him a good coach. Tomlin's team's are a reflection of his ability to coach. 7 years out of 9 not winning a playoff game kinda says it all. I suspect management will be happy for the chance to catch lightning in a bottle or just continue playing 9-7 football and making $ VS making a change and seeing more of the same or worse. I personally would rather see us take some risks. When Cowher came to town everyone pretty much agreed Noll's time was up.

BTW look at Noll's last 8-10 years. They look very similar to Tomlin's recent stats. Hovering around 9-7 and 2 post seasons with a victory. We all know what Noll did so I would think he earned more leeway than MT. Unless Tomlin pulls off a miracle and win's in the post season this year, I see no reason why ownership would not make a change for the 2020 season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Your credibility is shot to judge a good HC if you don't think Tomlin is a good HC.

You are being a cherry picker when it comes to what Tomlin helped this organization accomplished. 8 out of 12 seasons this team made the playoffs. That says to me that 8 seasons team had an opportunity to make it to the Superbowl. In single game elimination anything can happen.

It is extremely difficult to win a championship. I will take competitive seasons, winning seasons, and playoff seasons until the organization can manage to build another Superbowl winner.

Tomlin will more than likely get the benefit of the doubt this season due to the injury to Ben.

Some of you deserve a perennial loser for not recognizing what you have. Oh I almost forgot Pittsburgh fans have the perennial loser in the Pirates.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    People are using Ben’s injury as a excuse. Where were they when this team was collapsing last year with Ben and AB.?
    Singing MTs praises for holding this team together this year and again neglecting the collapse last year. I keep bringing up the coordinators and no one is commenting. They are subpar and yet still employed. What it’s not Tomlins decision? I thought he was such a great coach. Hasn’t he earned the right to choose his coordinators. Butler should of been fired after the loss to NE in the AFCCG and if not certainly after the Jax debacle. Still here. Fichtner maybe deserves a little more of a chance but chances are he’s nothing more than Ben’s puppet.

To answer why the owner seems fit to keep Tomlin around is because he’s tied to Ben and they are hoping and praying for one more miracle from Ben. Tomlin won’t last after Ben is gone. He won’t be fired because we don’t fire anyone. We just wait until they expire. I can almost guarantee Butler will not be retained after this season. Why? Not because of his performance that should of been dictated years ago . He will be allowed to walk simply because his contract is up. Like you said ownership is happy with 8-8. They don’t make decisions on actual performance. It’s based on financial reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Noll and Cowher didn't make the playoffs every season either :shrug:

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Three wrongs, forget about it.
    Steelers fans are always quick to compare the past with the present, whether it makes sense or not.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    The Steelers are doing a great job. I'm proud to be a fan of this team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1