1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stats just mock the Steelers lol

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 16, 2019.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We need new coaches. The window shut after 2016 season and loss to Patriots in AFCC. I've been saying this for years. 2017 was an anomaly of sand bagged wins vs backup QBs... and 2018 Steelers showed their true selves losing to and tying several sub par teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Not this!

3. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    By that logic, we should have gone undefeated last year. Ben plays all 11 positions on offense and can beat any team except for the Pats single handedly. If he was still blocking, running the routes, and throwing the ball to himself, we would be 5-1. Oh the terrible fate that we endure because our only offensive player has been injured. The season is over. Woe is us.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They didn't have championship caliber talent on defense until this season, but now the offense doesn't have championship caliber talent :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    ..,while losing Brown. Why is it so difficult to include that part as a factor?

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Back in 2015 AB had to play with Vick for 3 games in a row. Here are AB's stats. VS Ravens 5 catches 42 yards zero TDs. VS Chargers 3 catches 45 yards zero TDs. VS Cardinals 3 catches 24 yards zero TDs. Your words, "An elite No. 1 wouldn't fall off that much". Care to change that opinion??

2015 was a year AB produced 136 catches, 1834 yards, and 10 TDs. His stats probably would had been even better if Ben didn't miss games that year.

I don't think anyone is here to argue if Juju is a No. 1 or elite No. 1. That's a pointless argument to have.

My point is that it should be understood why Juju's production isn't what it was because of the inexperienced, young QB's he's had throwing to him. Brown's production would most likely suffer playing with inexperience, young QB's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's difficult to say in Juju's situation because of the QB situation on this team. What's not difficult to say and prove is that even the best WR's production can suffer depending on who's playing QB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes. Windows to throw into in the NFL are typically tight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it’s completely fair and honest to say that JUJUs production has slipped because of a loss of talent at the QB position. At the same time JUJUs numbers have dropped and expectedly so with the loss of Brown. There is no denying either factor. You don’t lose the best WR in the game and keep chugging along like nothing happened. The loss of AB is making it harder for JUJU to get open and the loss of Ben is making it harder to complete the passes when he is. Pretty simple if you ask me. I think it goes back to the who made who argument,which I think is pointless. IMO

10. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The loss at the QB position is the number one reason. It has an impact on the entire offense. That's a fact. Anything after that is speculation. What we do know is what quality QB play means to offenses.

I believe that Juju can be a highly productive player without Brown. Juju made plays this year. With better and more consistent QB play there would be better 3rd down conversion rate to extend drives and as a result more time of possession. With better 3rd down play and more time of possession Juju would have more opportunities to produce.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    JuJu's numbers would have been down with a healthy Ben. AB drew coverage away. JC was running well. The line gave Ben time and opened holes. The offense was balanced. Commit to stopping run or pass and the other would benefit. And that's where Ben's experience really came into play. No huddle, WR chemistry, reading defenses, checking in or out of plays. His arm wasn't his greatest asset by far. Defenses had to play honest for the most part and 5000+yards in the air was the result.

Now, take one component away. AB. The drop-off from #1 to #2 this year is the grand canyon. JuJu has NO help whatsoever. And to make matters worse, our OL play has diminished likely because of the loss of Munch. Defenses are now looking at a weaker passing attack AND running game. Ben would not be anywhere near last year's production.

The loss of AB and Munch were devastating to this offense.

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It would also be speculation that Ben was still Ben. You can go by track record and a hunch but there’s no proof so it’s speculation as well. We can’t say for certain he would be putting up much better numbers with Ben. You can’t say JUJU didn’t benefit from the trickle down effect of what AB brought to this offense. JUJU is the main focus of the defense it’s speculation to say he would be fairing much better with a better QB. He’s still being taken out of the game . It’s now being the No. 1 and not having a legitimate threat at No. 2 that is playing a substantial part in his drop in production as well. Better QB play would help for sure but to expect his production to match what it was with AB regardless of QB play isn’t a given.

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Yes ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We are likely a super bowl contender with brown on this team and a healthy Ben. Ben probably just tore up his elbow so he can hang out with brown lol

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    While it was certainly possible and even likely his production would drop some without Brown, we simply don't know yet.

Why is it difficult to acknowledge that we don't have a true measurement of his abilities without Brown because of losing Ben?

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    So why do you simply agree with uncle Rico that Juju's number would be down with a healthy Ben? I think it's the opposite.

This is quite simple for me. Some of you want to make this a complicated issue. Juju is a fine WR. Juju would be a more productive WR this year with better QB play. So far he caught 25 balls for 340 yards and 2 TD's. You don't think his production would be better with better and more consistent QB play? Ok then. I will believe his production would be better with better QB play. That's what makes the most sense in my mind.

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    ....because it also makes sense that when your number 2 weapon becomes your number 1 weapon teams will gameplan to eliminate your biggest weapon. Without having a legitimate threat at number 2 now it also makes sense there will be a drop in production. Some of you guys want to make it AB vs JUJU.. I’m just applying logic. That’s how competition works. You try and take away someone’s best asset. No one is saying it wouldn’t or couldn’t be better with better QB play ,at least not me but I’m also willing to admit losing AB is a factor too. . Some should try it as well.

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers QB play hasn't been good enough this season for anyone to produce better results. Even AB would be struggling to produce under the current QB circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never mind I know AB was just your average WR he had no impact on the field. Happy? Why is it so hard for you guys....

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Vick was horrendous in those games. I'd take Rudolph or even Hodges over what he was by then in a heartbeat.

The point is, the loss of Roethlisberger isn't the only reason Smith-Schuster's numbers are down. He is still making the occasional big play, but the consistency isn't there. The loss of Brown is a big part of that even though most posters here won't admit it.

It is pointless to argue if Smith-Schuster is an elite No. 1 or not. He clearly is not.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Losing Roethlisberger hurt everybody's numbers. So did losing Brown. Try being honest with yourself and you'll see it, too.

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    But but you said there shouldn't be any drop off. Those were your words.

It obviously isn't the only reason but QB play is main reason. Juju's production can't be measured adequately until the QB play is better.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So far I’ve only watched a couple of games with the All 22 view, but this is consistent with what I’ve observed. I think the #1 reason for the limited production from the WR position is conservative game planning. It could also be a tendency for Rudolph to take the open check down vs. throwing 10+ yards downfield to receivers that he’s still establishing timing with.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Are jujus numbers really down? 13.6 per catch is up. He's on pace to catch over 100 again. 13.6 is something AB only did once or twice in his career and not in the first 3 years. If he had a franchise qb and a number two. How much more do you all want juju to do? He's pretty consistent in his numbers, which by the way have been very good. So saying without AB and Ben his numbers are down is not true. He's 6 games into his 3rd season and probably not even in his prime yet. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1