1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Moncrief?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thesteeldeal, Oct 17, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Does Moncrief make it past week 10 and jeopardize our 3 rd round comp pick? If not what are we waiting for? How upset will you guys be if we keep him beyond week 10?

IMO I would bring in Eli Rogers today and let Moncrief go. Even if Moncrief has a slight bounce back,is he worth keeping with the bleak outlook on the season? Our O seems geared towards check down and medium range passing. I could see things opening up a little but I don’t see it getting to the point that we are airing it out. That being said IMO Rogers brings more to the table in that aspect and signing him won’t jeopardize our pick. Thoughts?

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think they're interested in Eli, he has been visiting other teams. Moncrief will stick around for now, Washington is injured and no production from Switzer and Holton :facepalm:.

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Switzer can go as well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t see the point in keeping a guy who isn’t or shouldn’t be in your plans past week10 . It’s really got me fearing the worst.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Keep Moncrief until the deadline, but not beyond. I assume his money won't change between now and then, have him earn it (assuming that's accurate). If he is going to cost a 3rd rd pick for certain, at that point (week 10), cut him loose.
    Eli Rogers is a fringe talent (imo) and a lot of similar receivers are out of work/available. Him knowing the playbook is a plus though.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I hear ya but man as long as Moncrief is here you have to be worried we’ll do something dumb

Edit: Fringe talent? So is LT Walton.....;)

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I wish they would get rid of Moncrief right now. Yes, I did praise him for having a good restart against the Chargers but that does not mean he should stay. A Third Round Pick with a team only having five picks heading into the draft will be beneficial in the long run.

Besides, if the team does get that Third Round Pick back, it does give us more breathing room heading into the 2020 Draft as a whole. Again since the AFL-NFL Merger, Pittsburgh has never entered the draft with fewer than seven picks; nevermind only having five.

Use that Third Round pick to acquire another position of need instead. The Interior Offensive Lineman are getting up there in age. Better off to stack some players there when the time comes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Unless we can replace him with another warm body, then he stays on the roster. He brings experience and the (past) ability to catch the ball. He let us down for certain, but we can't let him go unless we can at least SAY we have depth. Week 10 should be the determining factor and we should either have determined that he is helping the team enough to keep or have a viable replacement. If we get caught with our pants down at the cutoff date, then that's just another reason to blame Tomlin for being a screwup.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There’s really no reason to do anything right now. If we get on a roll and we’re stacking wins then they can make a decision whether or not to keep him. There may be more injuries at the wide receiver position. I just don’t see what the benefit is of cutting him right now?

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If we keep Moncrief in lieu of a 3rd round pick i'm going to lose it.

Especially after losing two young players already who I believe could have been quality contributors in the future.

He should be GONE!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Totally understand your point but I don’t see any circumstance where he should be retained in lieu of 3rd round pick. I don’t care what his production is from here on out. My fear is they fall in love with a couple nice games and decide to keep him.....no thanks. IMO

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I was speaking mostly to why they should wait or why I think they’re waiting. They might keep him, who knows.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!!

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That reminds me of being up big at the poker/black jack table and wanting the night to be over before I do something dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What about getting something for him? The Packers are desperate for WR help because they are rolling with undrafted guys because of injury. Dangle him out there and get a replacement 5th and get the 3rd comp back too.

16. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I don't know the comp draft formula so I wonder if trading him might be the same as keeping him in regards to comp picks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    NE potentially looking to trade Bennett. Not sure he’s a fit schematically but would you trade Moncrief for him....hypothetically?

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How did that work out?

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would have brought somebody in instead of walton. jj nelson or someone. There are a few guys sitting out there. :cool:

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Mixed results. Plenty of dumb decisions though.
    It's easier to slow play a poker game than it is to slow play black jack. It's easier to walk away from a black jack table than it is a poker game.

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Here’s My opinion.....

What’s the greater Value determines the decision.

That 3rd comp pick has a higher value to us as opposed to other teams simply because of our pick shortage due to trades.

So now we need to determine Moncriefs value .... if it’s the WR we saw early on then he needs to go!!!! But if he can be the WR the team was hoping for or better than he is worth more than comp pick.

We need to wait until the last minute and in the meantime play him and throw the ball to him. If he becomes a solid to great WR keep him, if not cut him before the deadline.

Cajun

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    No..... another lying drama queen!!!

Cajun

23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Probably depends if the team is in contention for a playoff spot.

If they are and even if he's marginally productive they'll keep him.

If they're 3-6 at the time, however, they should let him go and get that compensatory pick as high as possible.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Moncrief's play isn't the only factor. Washington's injury opened the door for him to be active. Maybe they make a move when Washington is ready to play.

Let's not get too excited about Moncrief's return to the lineup. It was a nice catch, but it was still just one catch. The guy still has at least as many drops as he has receptions this season.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Those guys are sitting out there for a reason, because they aren't any good :shrug:.