1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin & Colbert

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Oct 17, 2019.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Considering all the injuries we’ve had. Colbert has been pretty good at getting players who can contribute and Tomlin is actually doing a darn good job right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    :popcorn: Now you’ve gone and done it. I can sense many heads exploding at once, and keyboards being pummeled into submission by furious rebuttal typing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m for moving on from Tomlin, but IMO he’s actually doing a pretty good job of keeping the team focused.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok I’ll bite. I’m not scaaard. Everything Glenn said is right and if what he said is true , you have to also say they haven’t done such a darn good job when they had less injuries and superior talent. You see how that works?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The jury is still out on Colbert. 1) He fumbled the whole draft after the Bush pick. We needed Metcalf not DJ. Justin Layne is exactly what we thought and didn't need in 3rd round, project. Snell might pan out. Gentry couldn't get it done so they had to go get Vannett. So 1 elite player and maybe 2-3 decent. Not very good. 2) Moncrief is a bust. Not the deep threat they expected. See draft complaints but this could have been addressed trading a 5th and getting Metcalf. Anybody watching Moncrief highlights could see he couldn't get enough separation and come to find out he can't catch. 3) Barron doesn't look good. 4) Not trading picks when we had the 3 B's but doing it when we start 0-2 and HoF QB is out for the year? Big picture I still like it but a lot of dust still needs to settle.

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    ...must...bash...Tomlin...

Okay, he's not doing a terrible job.

Man, that was rough.

...HIS CLOCK MANAGEMENT SUCKS...HE JIBBER JABBERS...HE COACHES IN HIS FEARS...

Okay, I feel better.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The OP would be making a good point if the team was winning, but the Steelers are 2-4. One victory came against the Bengals, who haven't won a game. The other came against the Chargers, who have also been hit hard by injuries.

SDOT's claims regarding the draft are still premature. Johnson has shown promise and the constant talk about Metcalf assumes the Steelers would have been able to trade up to get him because he was gone by the time they made their second selection of the draft. Gentry was always going to be a project, not an immediate contributor. The same is true of Layne. Snell just had a solid game. Gilbert isn't getting much time yet, but he showed promise in the preseason. We aren't even halfway through the rookie season for these guys. It is way to declare everything but Bush to be a bust.

That said, it is fair to call Moncrief a bust. Barron has been bad so far and now he is hurt. I agree that it is odd, at best, that the Steelers failed to trade for pieces to help get them over the top when they had better teams, but did it this year after losing Roethlisberger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've historically not been a Tomlin basher, but the last couple of years, I've also not been very happy with his coaching. I do think he's doing a better job right now, but I'm waiting to see if it lasts. I still think it's probably time to move on unless something changes drastically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    We could have easily traded a 5th to the Cardinals to get him. Steelers were being their normal stingy self until we are 0-2 and HoF QB is out for the year. Look at draft history we knew who majority of those players were after camp, preseason, and first 5 games.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you spoke with the GM of the Cardinals and he told you he would have taken that deal?

12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yes.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    :bscow:

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Right now, we're losing twice as many games as we are winning. Period. Total games won by teams we beat = 3 through week 6. I don't care about we were 1 fumble away from this or that. We lost. We seem to always find a way to lose and fail to close out games. Team discipline is not great and penalties always come at the worst times. Teams like the Cheats own us and their players are not any better overall than ours. So why do we look like a high school team against them? We've been the drama central for about 18 month with little indication of adult supervision. From the embarrassment of the Jax playoff loss up through today, this team has been a disappointment. And now Tomlin is doing a good job? Really? I know this board is split on the Tomlin issue, and nothing I think, do, or say, will make any difference about that, but I can't see any coach being told they are dong a good job with a 2-4 record. If he can rise to this occasion and just get to .500, I'd be highly impressed.

15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    With all sincerity, I'm sitting here saying that Tomlin hasn't done a terrible job this season. But I honestly can't tell you what that means.

What has he actually done?

Appointed our 2nd string qb to starter when #1 went down. I think I could have done that.

Gave #2 a simplified offense and leaned on an experienced line and proven rb to carry the load. Again, I think I could have done that as well.

Implemented a wildcat-heavy gameplan to take more responsibility off #2's plate. Well, I might not have done it, but I could have turned to Randy and told him to come up with a plan to take the pressure off #2 against a notoriously physical Ravens' D.

Get the most out of a talented front four for the first time in many seasons.

Get the secondary to suck a little less after drafting next year's first rounder a season early. Props for that, btw.

So again, I ask, what has he done again to warrant me saying he hasn't done a terrible job so far? Shouldn't this performance so far be expected, if not demanded, even with our rash of injuries?

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The players like Tomlin, they always try for him. His number 1 strength as a HC is keeping the team together.

It's his X's and O's and decision making that leaves a lot to be desired.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin has played almost all his cards to get to .500. I think he will get it.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Regarding both, agreed.

Colbert has been a bit aggressive since 2017 when he was trading a bit for some starter players like Vance or role players like Ryan. Fast forward to today and, to say he is performing his usual day to day administration of the team like normal would be far fetched. It is one aspect to move up in the draft. It is another all together to trade away the team's first pick; something that has never been done in the AFL-NFL Merger Era. One would have to go back to 1967 to find the last time that has happened.

As for Tomlin, like Blast stated, the teachings of the principles, fundamentals and basics of the game are simply not his strong suit. That said, he is an exceptional motivator all things considered. Granted, this was when Big Ben was injured but, back in 2015, Ben was gone for four weeks. Pittsburgh ended up splitting those four games before Big Ben came back. Keep in mind we did not have someone like Minkah and a Quarterback in the name of Landry Jones.

This all is not to say that Pittsburgh's record is a good thing. However, given the circumstances, Pittsburgh could be 1-5 or even 0-6. For this team to be 2-4 at this point is nothing short of a miracle.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we had beaten NE, Sea. Or SF to get to 2-4 I would say it’s a miracle. Beating Cincy and the Chargers......not so much.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re assuming the cardinals wanted to trade at all. If they did you’re also assuming they wanted our 5th. That’s a big fat pile of assumptions. Drafting players for the current season is a fool’s errand. A good gm(like Colbert) has to look towards the future.

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Down to a third string QB and a Offensive Coordinator who seems to be way over his head is what makes the current record a miracle in it of itself. People can lament the JuJu fumble all they want. Randy had ZERO business calling the Wildcat in the second series of the game given the fact that the Ravens were ready for it.

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    On the Metcalfe thing, I think there is a chance that DJ is a better player in the long run,

If we are redoing the draft and feel they should have selected somebody else it would be Terry Mclaurin who the Redskins took after DJ. Looks to be a massive talent and he has the 4.3 speed the team is missing. I’m fine with DJ though.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Giving the coaches credit doesn't fit some fans narratives, I mean JuJu basically cost them the Ravens game and Conner cost them the 49ers game, but people want to fire the coaching staff after the loss :facepalm:.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Has New England beaten a winning team this season? A win is a win :shrug:.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Side note.

Are people still upset about not getting D.K. Metcalf?!?! Has anyone seen Randy use the likes of even JuJu towards his maximum capabilities yet?! Having D.K. on this team would be a waste to both D.K. and the Steelers.