1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stats just mock the Steelers lol

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers would be 5-1 w Ben at qb which makes it so frustrating. Another wasted year. We can’t or won’t throw the ball down the field which is the difference in the SF, Sea, and Balt Losses.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    They could be plus 4, 16th in the league and 5-1..that is crazy.

3. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    <sigh> coulda, woulda, shoulda. Didn't. 2-4

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    They have to be top 5 in injuries. Seem to be dropping like flies going into fall. Truly reflective of our record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Obviously you don't understand. When WR's have to go from Ben to Mason to Devlin it's clear that an offenses skill position players are going to struggle with production.

The offense struggled on 3rd and as a result struggled to maintain more time of possession. The inconsistent QB play had an overall impact on the team.

It also doesn't help that the team has a fairly young group of WR's starting. It's ok believe what you want. Most people do anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown had a very small sample size without Roethlisberger relative to his entire career, so it's a bit much to attribute his success to Roethlisberger like that. They helped each other a great deal.

Brown also helped Smith-Schuster a great deal, but I know some folks will do anything to avoid saying as much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The statistics back me up, so yes, I'm going to stick with my opinion.

Please stop saying I don't understand just because I don't agree with your opinion. It's rude and inaccurate.

Sure, Smith-Schuster got open down the field once against the Chargers and Hodges made a terrible throw, but quarterback play isn't the only issue. The receivers just aren't getting open often enough and Smith-Schuster is a part of that. The loss of Roethlisberger hurts, but so does the loss of Brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense completely fell apart in the second half against the Seahawks. I don't think they win that game no matter who was playing quarterback. The offensive line was horrible against the 49ers, so that would have been no sure thing, either.

I suspect they would be 3-3, 4-2 at best, but that's not the new reality. He's not part of the 2019 team any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    What stats back you up?

Most times a backup QB/3rd string QB plays there's a drop off in overall offensive production for everyone. When any QB struggles there's going to be a drop off in offensive production.

This ish isn't that difficult to understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, would hate to see someone be rude or inaccurate!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Asinine to think otherwise.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I guess you weren't paying attention to entire week 1 game vs. Patriots and 1st half vs. Seattle in week 2.

I'm glad we've had Ben since 2004 and grateful for the 2 Super Bowl wins, but his performance was terrible in the 6 quarters he played in 2019. Steelers would be 2-4 regardless of who is at QB. Truth.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Obviously who or how good the QB is a factor in a WRs production but so is the WRs inability to consistently get open. I do recall someone (not you) telling me otherwise in another conversation a while back. Wonder if they still feel that way?

• Like Like x 1
  14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    With that Ben for sure. I don’t know how you can confidently say otherwise. We’ve seen him bounce back before but judging by the way the OL was playing and the D, there’s no guarantees we wouldn’t be right where we are.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've seen "September" Ben enough over the years to confidently proclaim the Steelers would be 2-4 with or without Ben.

Only September game I remember in recent memory where he was sharp was back in 2016 vs. Redskins on opening day @ Washington. 2 weeks later... offense puts up 3 points and gets destroyed by the Eagles. :facepalm: .... with Bell and Brown. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    That does suck but we always have next year. We are rebuilding for sure and the defense is seriously wicked now. Our record is dismal and although those stats are awesome and look really good on paper I dont like what we have in the way of offense so now that needs to be fixed. Would be great to have one year where we had all things in place with respect to both defense and offense. We get the offense and then dont have the defense and vice versa. We are in desperate need of a quality reliable and healthy TE similar to Heath and another receiver to match Juju. I dont care for Switzer or Washington. Connor and Samuels I like and even Benny Snell but the rest can go.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Ben against the 49ers he would've gotten more points off of those 5 turnovers than Rudolph did.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Wrs need an adjustment period when they are usually in single coverage to being in double, triple coverage. Routes have to get sharper & timing has to be accurate. People underestimate the 'feel' between a qb & a wr.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Chris Hoke on the Fan today said that when he watches the 22 the receivers are getting open. He then said that open, however, is relative and that they were open enough for Ben to hit them with a pass, but not necessarily open enough for Rudolph or Hodges.

TIFWIW

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    About the same sample size as JuJu.

Like I said, people trying too hard to do a victory lap about JuJu not being a number 1.

This season is clearly not a fair gauge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How hard is it to write out the word issue? I don't need somebody who writes in text speak falsely claiming I don't understand his points, thank you very much. Your argument is easy to understand. I just don't think it is entirely true. Yes, the quarterback play is part of the problem, but so is the loss of Brown.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say he isn't a No. 1. I said he isn't an elite No. 1. An elite No. 1 wouldn't fall off that much. This isn't a stray game here or there. This is six games strung together in a season.

The excuse-making for Smith-Schuster began before the season started. People were already excusing the drop in his numbers before the loss of Roethlisberger, but doing so without acknowledging that the loss of Brown would be the cause.

Now everybody has an excuse so they don't have to admit that the absence of Brown is a significant factor in the Steelers' offensive problems this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know who you are referring too, I certainly never made those claims. The only point I am making is that people drawing conclusions about JuJus drop in production are misguided when he doesn't have Ben throwing him the ball. AB suffered a drop off as well, its irrefutable.

It's irrational to expect JuJu to not see a drop off while being the number one receiver for the first time and drawing the top coverage while losing his starting QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    with the same leadership? We've had championship caliber talent for quite some time until this year. What will be different?

• Like Like x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was going to make a similar comment regarding open receivers, 'open' being relative to the ability and confidence of the QB (and the receiver).