1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Oct 14, 2019.

1. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Those numbers aren't always 100% accurate (as I've pointed out before).
    I thought he had a decent game for a former starter who lost his job due to poor play. That's all.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's from PFF, stats are kind of their thing but of course people make mistakes but it wouldn't be off by that much for it to back up that he had a bad game.

3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't think he had a bad game. I haven't rewatched the whole game yet. What I did rewatch he looked confused a couple times but held it together. I think the reception formerscribe is talking about was on the Chargers first play from scrimmage.
    On the subject of game balls, Dan Marino personalized one of his game balls and gave it to my buddy for his wedding. When my buddy got divorced he gave the ball to me, which is now in my basement somewhere collecting spiders.

4. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I know Artie Burns has under performed so far and that's putting it as kindly as possible but with two corners either out or hurting , wouldn't having Burns start to play better be a good thing.

Its as if most here want him to fail. Some say he was burned on the TD to the TE as if they could have easily broken up that play from their couch. He was close and if the TE's foot lands a 1/2 inch further he makes a great play to prevent a TD.

He didn't get lit up or we would have heard his name a lot more. Maybe the DB coach up in the booth recommended him for the game ball.

Sutton did make some good plays but wasn't on the field very much until the fourth quarter.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    All that means is you don't appreciate collectables :lolol:

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I hear ya. I remember everyone ripping on Willie Gay early in his career and then suddenly he became Big Play Willie Gay. Artie has truly stunk in the past but I still hold out hope he can get it together. Dupree seems to be coming around finally but nobody wants to admit that either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Makes me wonder if maybe they re-sign Artie to a friendly deal, based on his past, and end up with a decent contributor for a few years at a good price?

Like others have said, maybe the light came on for him and got some confidence back.:shrug:

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If it wasn't personalized I might have it on a shelf in my garage or shed or somewhere like that.
    My Jerome Bettis signed game ball is proudly displayed in a glass case in my living room.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

This was my suspicion as well..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Never gonna convince me that this guy is nothing more than a below average corner. If he was targeted 20 times in a game the receiver would have 17 completions and a couple defensive pass interference calls. Every opportunity same results. Out of position and always two steps late.No ball skills ,no awareness, and not smart enough to play zone.
    The Steelers look so much better on the back end due to a couple addions and one big subtraction!!

11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I sure hope Nelson gets better in a hurry. We might be skate by Miami with Burns in there but we need Nelson to be healthy for the rest of the season after that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He held up okay against the Chargers, only giving up 4-5 catches for 40 yards. For him that's a big improvement :thumbs_up:.

13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    It was the very first pass of the game. He was way out of position. That's how it all started.

14. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    THIS!!

I've said it repeatedly in this very thread. And I didn't need Dulac to convince me. I knew what it was the moment I heard he got it.

Saying he had a good game because he didn't get targeted enough to be exposed (even though he actually didn't break up any passes) is crazy.

And I know there will be disagreements, and that's okay. But no one, other than him and his performance, will convince me that he's not a waste of a roster spot. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    My wife and I have a sticker chart on the wall of the bathroom for our 2 year grand daughter who is potty training. If she goes in the potty chair instead of her pants she gets to put a Disney princess sticker on her chart.
    That is kind of like Burns getting his game ball, he wasn't great but he didn't crap his pants out there so he got his sticker for the wall.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    There was another play where Burns was out of position, but he pointed to the spot where he should have been. That made me laugh.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Burns: Hey Rivers! If I was in position, I'd be over there!

Rivers: (Thanks for "pointing" that out. Hehe)

Tomlin: (I think that young man deserves a game ball)

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    So give him a sticker of a Disney princess.

Let's see, how about Aurora from Sleeping Beauty. She spends most of the movie asleep. She doesn't save herself or her kingdom. She relies on the fairies to help her, as they are the movie's protagonists anyway. And she is ultimately saved by the prince that comes after her.

Translation: Burns is alseep most of the game. He relies on the rest of the defense to bail him out. And someone else has to come after him to clean up his mess.

So yeah, perfect analogy. Stop giving him game balls and start giving him potty stickers when he does a good job crapping on the field.

(I have two daughters)

19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with this especially the Willie Gay part but the one thing I remember is he was bad.....real real bad here the first time around. He left went to the Cards for 1 season and came back a whole new man. I remember when we brought him back I was so disgusted and he went on to becoming one of if not our best cover guy. JMO

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s pretty bad that people are so stubborn and hateful towards Burns that they can’t acknowledge the obvious good play by him.
    The guy stunk last year then he gets his chance against the Charges and plays well ( not great ) then some people can’t handle it. You think people would be happy that he had a solid performance for the team, but no just some petty nonsense over a game ball.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    This. And then twisting Dulacs words around to support the narrative.

Did someone actually say that not being targeted isn't proof of anything? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a ball signed by Plaxico collecting dust. Is that a collectible? :hmmm:

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My recollection is that Gay was decent as a nickel corner right away, but bad when thrust into the starting lineup as an outside corner. When he returned he pretty much only played the nickel and was fine.

• Like Like x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I guess I don't remember what he played I just remember he was bad, jmo