1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens just traded a 5th round pick for Pro Bowl CB Marcus Peters

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    And it only cost them a 5th round pick. Wow.

Makes us giving up a 1st for Minkah look like we got ripped off BIG TIME

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Draft pick and LB Kenny Young

3. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Yeah, so basically a 5th round pick.

4. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    C'mon.
    Fitzpatrick is younger. Has much more upside than Peters.
    MF has been an immediate upgrade to our whole D, not just our secondary.

I feel very glad that we gave up a 1st for him (and a bunch of swaps). No buyer's remorse.
    We hot the better end of that deal, for sure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Everything I see is young and an undisclosed draft pick

6. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019

What you said is patently false. Peter is 26 years old and has played 4 seasons. Minkah is 22 and has played in 2 seasons. Peters has 2 more years of experience than Fitzpatrick.

What makes you think he's reached his peak at the ripe old age of 26?

Peters in 4 seasons and 6 games this season has 24 INTs, 4 TDs and 6 FFs. Fitzpatrick in 2 seasons and 6 games has 3 INTS, 1 TD and 2 FFs. By any measure Peters has had far superior production....and at 26 years old he's not close to his peak.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Me thinks Peters is kind of a Peter...This great talent, and keeps getting moved around... Lockeroom Cancer?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Fair enough on comparing the stats. However, the positions both Minkah and Marcus play are entirely different. They could not be any more different if they tried.

For one, Marcus is a good, if not great corner when it comes to turnovers. Having 24 INT's in 4 seasons is quite impressive without question. He is a ball hawking corner the Ravens need across from Marlon Humphrey.

That said, he has also given up his fair share of touchdowns as he is a risk taker when it comes to the ball being played within his vicinity. This is not even accounting for the fact that effective route runners like Amari Cooper or even Micheal Thomas have made mince meat out of him.

By comparison, Minkah Fitzpatrick is a ball hawking Free Safety who is opportunistic upon every play and plays by the numbers. He is always in the right spot at the right time. Furthermore, as a Free Safety, he can offer more for a team than a corner could given today's NFL.

In short?! At one point in time, it used to be that Elite Corners made the entire secondary better because that corner did not ever need help. Now, it is Free Safeties who make an entire defense better as offenses will prode other weak points in the secondary. In fact, here is some better context shown by what Pittsburgh did to Phillip Rivers.

Phillip Rivers Passing Yards before 9:18 left in the Fourth Quarter: 181.

Phillip Rivers Passing Yards at the end of the game: 320.

Why am I mentioning Phillips yards before that 9:18 mark in the Fourth Quarter?! Simple. He could not find much of anyone within the first three quarters. Some of that was due to the play of Joe Haden, Cameron Sutton and Artie Burns. The 320 Total was achieved with 139 additional yards in garbage time.

A major aspect why was Minkah himself. Teams are not passing willy nilly on this team anymore UNLESS Keith Butler let's his foot off the proverbial brake; something he needs to stop doing. Having an Elite Free Safety in today's NFL does far more good than having an Elite Corner.

9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

His int numbers were outstanding his first two years and have fallen off every year since. There has to be a reason the rams felt comfortable letting him go. Has his play fallen off? Is he a cancer in the locker room? Are they so deep at cb and thin at lb that any help is justified?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not say they are deep at Cornerback. Aqib Talib is on IR and they do not have much else. However, that is not the issue here.

Marcus Peters is slated to hit Free Agency come 2020. I would imagine that, for Baltimore, he is a rental player. Given Xaiven Howard's contract and others similar, Marcus is going to command a high price. I am not too certain Baltimore wants to entertain that idea.

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Just found an article stating he was inconsistent in technique and coverage last year. My guess is the rams decided it wasn’t worth keeping him around and ravens are hoping a change of scenery will do him some good.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Even though Earl Thomas is not what he once was given he has literally broken the same leg twice, he still does have some of that speed. Not like it once was, but just enough to assist Marcus should anything go awry. I would imagine that John is banking on that.

13. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Maybe we will get lucky and both of them will break a leg in the coming weeks

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How come Marcus Peters gets traded so much?

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ask the Rams and the Chiefs.

I remember people losing their minds out here about not trading up for him when he was drafted. Overrated.

16. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    .... and now we know why. Rams just traded two first rounders and a fourth to the Jags for Jalen Ramsey.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    they traded the Jags for Ramsey so Peters was a commodity.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    now it makes sense. They gave up 2 1st round picks and a 4th for him. That’s a ton for a player you don’t control for long.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hahahahahahaha!
    it's gonna be funny if the Rams miss the Playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Both Ramsey and Peters are high quality players. I do not think there is much to dispute the success of either. The issue is character and a team first mentality.

Marcus has been shown to erupt when he does not get his way in man coverage. Yes, that is when he operates best. That said, he is way too susceptible to the double move.

Regarding Jalen Ramsey, he is much worse than Peters. As much as I love him as a player, he has shown he can go thermonuclear on even his teammates and coaches. Add his self importance and you have arguably the highest risk/reward player in the league.

There is one major issue for LA still; who is protecting Jared Goff from those inside blitzes?!? Entrusting Austin Corbett is quite the leap of faith no?! Quite interesting for certain.

Among the three big trades this season, Minkah was the best in my opinion. An Elite Free Safety is now what the Shut Down Corner was 20 to 30 years ago. Teams simply exploit personnel weaknesses anymore anyway.

Neither Jalen nor Marcus are willing to play in the slot. An Elite Free Safety can. Guess what Minkah is?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Peters was kicked off his college team half way through his junior year. He was suspended 3 games by the Chiefs for fighting with an assistant coach. He threw a penalty flag into the crowd and walked off the field during the game. No thanks, we just got rid of one idiot good luck to the Ravens with theirs.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Wow . . . . just saw that the Rams traded for Ramsey without a new deal in place. So after next season he can extort them for as much money as he wants (or else they've flushed 2 first round picks down the toilet for a 1 1/2 year rental). Unless, of course, you think Ramsey isn't the type of guy who'd hold a gun to his team's head . . . . suckers.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a nut case, that is why he gets traded so much. Ala Antonio Brown.
    He will be out of football in maybe 2 years.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This right here, I would think this hurt his value. Also the guy is in his last year so that has to have a lot of impact. Also Minkah is under favorable control until after the 2021 season. 1.975 mil in 2020 and 2.722 mil in 2021