1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

We are two fumbles away from likely being 3-2...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Unlike you I could care less if I am right or wrong cause I understand I am on a message board where you voice your opinions. Everyone has opinions and it isn't about being right or wrong. The funny thing is many come here to talk with other fans of the same team and then there are people like you who need to feel like they are right about everything. Don't worry you have company here......:smiley1: :shrug::hehehe:

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Because that is a major problem....................pull your head out of the sand man

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Patriots average margin of victory in their SB wins is 4.83 points. A W is a W, whether it's a blowout or by 4.83 points

4. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Who is in charge of the team? The coach.
    Who is responsible for putting the players in the best position to win? The coach.
    Who makes gameday and in-game decisions based on performance, health, and scheme? The coach.

Players carry out the coach's gameplan. They are responsible for following the direction of guess who? The coach.

The coach can't run the routes or secure the football. Those things occur during the game. But if routes are not run properly game after game or fumbles become more of a routine than isolated occurances, or if defensive backs are out of position season after season, then it's not on the players. It's on the coaching staff.

And the difference between us and the Browns/Dolphins is that we've had one of the most talented offenses on paper and still couldn't use it properly. We have 7 or more first rounders on defense. Our head coach is a defensive minded/skilled coach. He has had more to work with than many other coaches and done less with it. Is there a better coach out there waiting to take over for him? Unlikely. But that still doesn't make him a good coach.

Lastly, I don't see anyone saying we should be special and never lose, just by default. We should be better than what we are, not because we're the Steelers, but because we have/have had the tools to do so. We just don't have someone at the helm who knows how to use those tools.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    How many times have you heard of Hoodie benching or releasing players for making a mistake? Quite a bit. Belichick is legendary for preparing his players for all types of situations, our coach is known for the standard that is the standard. That’s why we blame our staff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I see both sides on the Coach issue. Do you think the Pirates are going to be better since they will have a new Coach, they won't, because great players make great Coaches. Then we have Billa**** who I'm convinced could win in the NFL with a High School team.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think I'm right about everything, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I feel the comparisons to BB are unfair. He leaves no stone unturned. My biggest problem is we leave plenty of stones unturned. I don’t care about other teams and their coaches I care about us. To me there is a lack of preparation. NE gets lauded for installing new plays and schemes into both their O and D on a weekly basis. With us you see a noticeable difference when we actually game plan to attack the opponents weaknesses. Most other times we are just lazy. C’mon the wildcat worked against Cincy. So you come out with it again,right in the beginning of the game, deep in our own end no less. To me that’s unimaginative and lazy.

Look what happened last year when we brought in another coach to help our D against NE,we finally beat them. This year.....unprepared and lazy. People were saying NE is ripe for,the picking because they start slow. What does that say about us? We started in reverse. Tomlin has had a lot of talent to work with and we have underachieved. That’s a fact and not just because we are the Steelers. Our lack of preparation and focus has reared its ugly head on too many occasions to even remember them all. We’re not talking about a team playing above their talent level,we’re talking about playing below. That falls on the HC to set that standard he loves talking about. I want a coach who dots the Is and crosses the Ts. More attention to detail is desperately needed. It works in NE because you have both the HC and QB maniacally committed to winning. I don’t get the same sense here. What I’ve seen over the years is a team that if they didn’t overwhelm teams with their talent, we would lose to teams we had no business losing to. More likely a team with lesser talent but better prepared. Neither our HC or coordinators seem capable of the details. So either bring in coordinators who can or it’s time for a change for all of them.

We have one of the youngest teams in the league and I don’t want to see the new, young talent wasted by doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. These guys need to be taught and coached on how to play and win games. They need to become focused and prepared by coaches willing to put in the work and not just kick the ball off and hope for the best. Which is how it seems far more often than not. We don’t have the elite talent we once had it would be nice to play above our talent level for a change. I like Tomlin but he needs top notch coordinators to succeed especially with all the talent we lost. He needs to step up and make the necessary changes, friends feelings be damned.
    Sometimes the voice and the message get stale as well. We need a change in philosophy for the young guys sake. Preparation needs to be improved. We can do it with Tomlin or without him. Old ways won’t open new doors.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Kind of agree. Great players CAN make great coaches. Just look at Tomlin. He inherited a solid team and didnt screw it up before winning the big game.

But then he started thinking it was because of him and he changed the team as he saw fit. That's when we started our decline.

Give an 18 year old the keys to a Ferrari and he'll look bad ass until he takes that first turn too fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m always a bit dubious about claiming to know what a coach or player was thinking.

Some of the more significant changes were that
    - we had several stars on defense who weren’t replaced until they were visibly fading
    - defense needed to get quicker, but the scheme wasn’t adjusted to the extent that was needed
    - so then the scheme was getting adjusted to the players we had, who tended to be athletic ‘projects’

The approach they took to drafting makes sense in the context it was done (which is not to say they drafted well - talking only if strategy here). I’d say that was a more logical explanation than Tomlin getting on some kind of ego trip.

11. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    You're right, of course. I have no way of knowing what he is really thinking. It was a clumsy, loosely constructed representation of many thoughts rolled into one statement. I've been so critical of him for so long that detailing my points felt like overkill at this point. Throw in a little laziness and you get my ego rant. ;)

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    No probs. I guess I sometimes think that when people are mad at Tomlin, they can assume he's doing something out of foolishness/naivety/gut feeling etc. etc. when there's often a rationale behind it (which is not to say the rationale is something we have to agree with, obviously).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    BB is the head coach and general manager. Try comparing apples to apples

By the way didn’t Moncrief just get benched for dropping passes? We’ve also seen tomlin bench running backs for repeated fumbles.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't look to me the Patriots are ripe for the picking, they haven't started slow they're 6-0.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He also benched Mendenhall, Martavis and told AB to take a hike in the season finale against the Bengals last season.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was talking about the talk around here before the week1 game.

17. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    Tomlin can't even handle TO or challenges but should be the GM? GTFO here you tool. Tomlin is a clown and so are you, I can't wait for him to get bagged and you start crying thirsting for his man meat.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Are you daft? Where did I say tomlin should be the gm? You really can’t be this ****ing stupid and claim to have an advanced education.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    Anytime you want to post your credentials vs mine. You don’t even know what daft is. You are sub 100 low IQ with even lower A drive. There’s a majority on here that think you are a major *******, what does that tel you about you

20. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    I’ll also meet you in person you can look at my title and accreditation’s, I’m who I say I am, you delete your account?

21. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    I am questioning your reason for being here. Are you just here to antagonize and be rude? It's absolutely okay to disagree with others here, but you might want to pull it back a bit. Because right now you aren't coming across as someone who cares about dialogue and debate.

And I'm saying this to you even though I agree that Tomlin is woefully out of his depth.

22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    oh noes he’s going to kick my ass. What should I do? I’m so scared

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

There’s that advanced education rearing it’s ugly head again.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Speaking of two fumbles...

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I’m still waiting for you to show us all where I said tomlin should be gm