1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Artie Burns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Oct 14, 2019.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    From what I saw probably not, but I’m not getting bent over who got a game ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He also had a hands to the face mask penalty because he jumps at receivers upon snap versus sitting and being patient. I believe he also gave up the TD to the Chargers tight end...at least he was the guy trying to push him out of the end zone with the ball going over his head. I don’t know why we hold onto to these types of idiots. They are may others that deserved a game ball, but I guess Mr. Psycho-babble Tomlin felt he deserved one to help his fragile psyche. :shrug:

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's not the game ball that we are bent over about. It's the mindset of those that seemed him the game ball over way more deserving teammates

4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Good for Artie. Hope he makes a little money after this year. It won't be here but still hope the best for him.

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Never said he was victimized but he didn't play well just serviceable and definitely not deserving of game ball. As far as impossible watching it on TV, what you look at is a receiver that catches the ball, then the time it takes for the defender to get to that spot after the completion. Most times he wasn't in site. Do you think he deserved the game ball.. :facepalm: Are you kidding me. And by the way you and Glenn should of figured out by now, I'm never wrong, lol.
    :lolol: ie: Jarvis Jones, Landry Jones, Sean Davis, and if Dupree plays like a 3 rounder, Artie played like 5th rounder.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    lol Dude, just no on your analytical skills. I have no idea if he deserves it, as I said, have to watch the tape.

It's a good bet that he played better than the fans think though. I don't think the coaches are in the habit of giving out game balls that would be seen as nothing but patronizing if just meant to boost spirits :lolol:

You were right about jarvis, man you are clinging to that like a pitbull, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said TJ didn't deserve one, Sutton definitely should have gotten one. They gave out 3. Hodges, Conner and Burns. How many do you think they should give out?

Please stop with the pity game ball handout. Tell me you don't really believe that.

8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    One game ball.
    No participation balls.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We're misunderstanding each other here. I wasn't saying you personally said that TJ didn't deserve a game ball. I meant "you" as in general terms. And I certainly am NOT advocating giving out lots of game balls. I can see giving out more than one if someone stood out on offense AND defense. Definitely not more than one per phase.

And you sounded like you believed that I was in favor of the pity game ball handout. If that's the case, please let me know what I said to make you think that so I can correct it!

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You said he was given one for his psyche, to me thats the same thing. Giving a game ball that isn't deserved, I'd be insulted if I was a player and got a ball for that reason.

Didn't mean to mischaracterize you but I don't see a difference.

11. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'd be embarrassed if I was AB and needed a game ball for tying my laces properly.

Are you saying that he deserved the game ball? I am not. And if he got a game ball and didn't deserve it, what other earthly reason could there be for getting one? And how do we know how he interpreted the gesture? Maybe he WAS insulted, but I doubt it.

So let's make sure we clear this up. I do not advocate particpation medals, ribbons, or game balls. It waters down the efforts of those who actually deserve credit. It also lowers the acceptable threshold for success. If just showing up is admirable, why would anyone try to achieve greater?

Hopefully that clears up my position on game balls.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still can't believe the Steelers didn't release him this preseason. He is Stealing
    the Rooney's money.

13. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

We will tolerate it as long as he continues to produce

14. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Artie but unreal. I've never seen a DB have a game as good as he did.

Make everyone feel better? :)

15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    On that TD catch I want to know what Edmunds was doing in the corner of the endzone??? There was no one to guard so why didn't he have over the top coverage on Henry while Burns was under. Not the first time Edmunds or Davis were out in lalaland on a scoring play.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't have a magic TV that kept the focus on Burns all night, but I sure saw him trailing behind the guy catching the ball an awful lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    On the play before Duck's Int Benny ripped a 7 yd run of 1st down. For guys like Benny this is their time to shine, I was hoping to see them just keep using him to close out the game. I still don't get the call for the pass, was a huge TO and momentum changer. Still do not really know what we have in him, but he was running more confidently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably not an awful lot, fans tend to exaggerate when they are annoyed with a player.

And, still don't buy that he was given a game ball for his psyche. I think fans, myself included saw him make a few bad plays at the end, one of which was for a score and just surmised his whole game was like that.

Bottom line, without watching the film, you can't tell and since he got a game ball, we are probably wrong about him stinking it up that game.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't know about the game ball for his psyche. I do think perhaps it was an example of grading on a curve. The expectations were so low for him going in that not getting torched on any deep balls was enough to make the team happy even though he was beaten often enough, including a touchdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That would be more believable but looking at the numbers, he saw 62 snaps and was only targeted 4 times. That means he was playing his assignments well enough that Rivers didn't throw at him.

Of course, the 4 times he was targeted, he gave up 4 catches, those would be on that last drive it would appear.

I said during the game during that drive that I have no idea why Rivers hasn't been going at him all game, thats probably why, he was playing good coverage. When fans aren't hearing the CB's names during the game, thats a good thing.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That clearly isn't right because he was beaten badly on a throw early in the game when he was very slow to react to the receiver making a cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Burns must have played decent in the first 3 quarters, you didn't hear his name much until the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Even Dulac admitted today in his weakly chats that he thought he got a game ball to keep his confidence up which the Steelers thought he lacked confidence last year..:facepalm:

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok, so if your analysis is correct, that was one of the 4 targets.

I'm the one that said I assumed those 4 were on the last drive but he was only targeted 4 times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you ask the question :lolol:

And he said might be part of it but that also the players went out of their way to talk about the job he did and rightfully so.

Don't know why you guys are aghast at the idea that Burns played well. Would be awesome if the light finally went on for him, would be a big boost to the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1