1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fred Johnson Gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Oct 14, 2019.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Bengals picked him off waivers. Not surprising how bad their OL is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    At least Pittsburgh still has sole claim to Fred Rogers! ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    We're losing players at an unprecedented rate. Worst season I can recall.

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    And Fred Flintstone too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Knew that was coming...Dumb move to expose him! There had to be someone else they could have put out there...morons!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Who?

Cajun

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Artie Burns doesn’t look worthy of a roster spot.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah looking at the inactives, there's no one there that you could chance. Just a case of needing just a couple more roster spots...Sounded like he wanted to come back to Pittsburgh as well from the reports. Could be a case of him coming back around after the season if he thinks he's got a shot and doesn't like what Cincy is cooking.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that sucks, I thought he had some good potential, maybe he'll return somehow...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Another stupid move.

Lost Johnson and Tuzar for absolutely no reason.

Do these moves fall moreso on Tomlin than Colbert?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If he gets some actual playing time in Cincy there's little incentive for him to return.

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I’m on record of not liking the Burns draft pick..... I like Burns and his story and even think he has the physical skill set BUT there is way to much “other” stuff in life for him to become what we drafted for.

Problem is Nelson is injured, Layne is not quite ready for prime time and now with Haden hurt we need Burns and hopefully they can protect him with pass rush and rotating coverage.

On a positive note Sutton is looking like he’s deserving of more snaps!!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  13. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I really like Fred’s potential but let’s be realistic........ He isn’t DD and Never will be. He may become another Foster but that is potential not yet realized. He is a powerful road grader and anchors well but his feet are a bit slow. He was never going to play this year. Hopefully we get him back in the offseason but If we don’t we will be ok.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Why was it stupid??? Mason was not going to be active...... can’t go into a game with only One QB..... Let’s also remember Samuels is out who is key to this offense both as a rusher, pass protector and receiver...... That leaves you with Connor and a rookie unproven RB in Snell. If Connor is hurt which has happened too often you’re left with one RB and your 4th QB!!!!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Skipper has been activated for three of five games for the Giants with 1 tackle and a 1/2 sack. I think preseason makes some of these players look better than they actually are.

• Like Like x 1
  16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Of course. These guys are going against 3-4 string talent and a lot of guys who don't even make rosters. So of course they look good.
    How do you do against the elite talent of the league?

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wish we could have kept him, because I heard they really liked him, plus, apparently, Okafor hasn't taken the next step... Im guessing they kept Okafor over Johnson due to experience only.

18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I've been banging that drum for awhile now. Well, not exactly that, but that preseason games are essentially useless for anything including player evaluation. It's all the snaps in OTA's, training camp, etc that matter. A) every player goes through a helluva lot more snaps than preseason games, B) coaches can set things up, i.e. players against 1's, or game situations, personnel packages, etc. to evaluate a player and where and when they might be able to be used best.

Doug Pederson essentially said that earlier this year that he and his staff get a lot more out of practice, and particularly joint practices with other teams, than they ever get from preseason games in terms of evaluating players.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think eventually PS will be a thing of the past or reduced to a game or two. I think joint practices will become the new PS.

20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I've been banging that drum for a while now as well. Well, not exactly that. Actually it's a completely different topic. Wait. What was the thread about again?

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Banging something :shrug:

22. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh yeah...so I was banging this little...wait...I don't think that is what you meant. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

The owners can't much money off of joint practices. If the owners have their way they will increase the schedule to 17 or 18 games. Players have a difficult time remaining healthy for 16 games. I don't know how owners expect players to hold up for 17 or 18 games. I don't think the product will be as good with a 17 or 18 game schedule. But hey when do owners really care what's best for players or the fans?

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Matakevich

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    True. I detest the idea of 17 or 18 games. You’re right about PS it would take the fans refusing to pay for the PS games to make a change. It’s ridiculous that with how much money fans shell out for season tickets they have to pay for PS as well. Greed is hurting the game and the quality of the product. Why have a 53 man roster but only 46 dress? 53 should be eligible IMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1