1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Defense won this game tonight...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 13, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    They set the tone early with the two turnovers and the Devin Bush TD, and they were all over Rivers early on and got a ton of pressure on him. We have been waiting for this defense to take over a game early and win it for the Steelers and tonight was definitely that night. Great win it gets the Steelers right back in the division race.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Defense played great for most of the game, Sutton looked very good in coverage, defensive front got great push and pressure early and often.

I feel we are snake bit with injuries though, Tuitt out with a pectoral injury that are notorious for taking a long time to heal, Haden went out and Watt was in some pain and didn't play the last series or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ha Ha, yeah this game felt old school, and I liked it!

4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm just glad Bush picked up the damn ball. Who were the other guys who were acting like the ball had a booger on it and didn't want to touch it?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They looked gassed, too. And we had the advantage in time of possession. I worry about 4th quarter conditioning.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Fitzpatrick is probably playing that dropped INT over in his mind a few dozen times.

7. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Mason is easily the starter and I think he could be QB for a long time and someone to build around. DUCK is a good option to have on the bench as backup as I think he can step in and win a game. But until the coaches allow either to open it up alittle we will never know..but one thing I do know is damn I'm going to miss Ben whe he does walk away cause both throw the ball under 10 yards 99% of time unlike Ben who throws down field

8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I’m concerned about the Tuitt pectoral injury. It sounded serious after the game so hopefully it’s not a season ending injury. The good news is Alualu looked great in his place and should be able to fill in and do a good job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Steelers won as a team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The Tuitt injury is huge. He had this a couple of years ago.

Mccullers rushing the passer and being down DBs is not a good combo. ( not that mccullers did terrible)

This is going to be a problem if long term. Alualu is good off the bench but he is getting up there in age. Maybe mondeaux time. I hope not but...... Buggs didn't impress me as a pass rusher.

Bush, for as good as he plays missed at least 5 tackles that he has to make.

defense still fading down the stretch. This is worrisome. Depth on the first two levels could be a problem.

Nelson, get well soon.

sutton playing well.

Duck= ben. Gunslinger.
    Reindeer= more of a detail guy. :cool:

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Looks like a DL is creeping up the draft board....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Burns got a game ball?
    Guess that means he'll see more playing time.

13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I never seen a football pectoral injury that had a short time off, some have taken months and even a year off. We will see soon this week.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The D was incredible until KB dialed them down but you also have to admit that the combination of our run game and the occasional pass beyond the line of scrimmage finally opened up our offense a little.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I worry about 4th quarter defensive game planning!

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The execution of our run game against a inferior defense opened up our offense you mean. Not much of a different game plan for either first start qb. :cool:

18. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Really...for what...dude didn’t do anything tonight except take up space. Wow...just another one of Tomlin’s boys...another Willie Gay in the making:facepalm:

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The D was great in the first half, but they looked dangerously close to giving up a touchdown to tie at the end, which is similar to what we've seen in close losses so far this year. They need to play a full 4 quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    The D sure did reminded me of the old days.........way to step up defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn't it amazing what a FS that can play can do for your defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Burns was getting beat and his saving grace was Rivers didn't have time to set up deep passes. Edmunds is a liability in pass coverage, he failed to pick up the receiver that was handed off to him not one or two times but 5, the D line helped save him as well. Fitzpatrick is really helping, I saw him react when Edmunds failed to pick up his responsibility on a pass play and keep a guy from running wide open.

The 4th quarter is going to continue to be a problem, there is zero depth along the D line and with more time to throw QBs are going to kill the secondary. It looks like there are still communication issues and it has to be something the coaches are addressing or this is the most brain dead group in the league. Artie Burns can't figure out his zone coverage responsibilities, it isn't confidence, he just can't grasp the concepts. Edmunds looks like he has the exact same issues, I think the Fitzpatrick deal was great even with losing the 1st round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Fitz has definitely made a difference. But that begs the question, if the coaching hasn't changed and we're immediately better with a personnel change, is it really the coaching that is to blame? (And by "better", I'm not saying that our secondary is "good". Just "better")

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's the perfect combination of both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That's a really safe answer. :hmm:

• Like Like x 1