1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

thats why

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    you take the kickoff in overtime, maybe catch a seam and win

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Did you watch the uga vs sc game yesterday? SC deferred in ot with a backup qb and won.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think he was too busy thinking of new reasons to hate Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    UGA is long gone Bye Bye . They will never get a playoff shot now
    unless they run the table. Soory Dog Fans.

5. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    in college both teams are guaranteed the ball, you guys are funny, tomlin does suck though.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Maybe the Steelers take the kick and still commit a turnover on offense. Maybe if the Steelers had better luck they would had won the game? Maybe a lot of other things happen? After all the maybes, the defense made the stop in OT and the offense had a chance to win it. The rest is history.

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    We haven't caught a seam since the Bumble Bee unis went out.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Totally different overtime rules. No sudden death even if the 1st team scores a TD.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of dicks, er I mean dawgs.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Doesn’t change the fact Tomlin made the right call and there’s no advantage to receiving the kick in OT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s definitely an advantage to taking the ball first in sudden death overtime. If you can end the game by scoring without the opponent even having a chance to possess the ball, then it’s an advantage. Remember Tim Tebow? I think the defense bailed Tomlin out of a terrible decision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    You mean having the chance to win without giving the opponent a chance is not an advantage

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    There's really not a huge advantage or disadvantage to receiving the ball in OT. Sometimes there isn't a right decision depending on different factors. The defense created a 3 and out. So the decision played out as Tomlin expected after kicking the ball.

There were other factors at play. Rookie QB, the way the defense played, choosing the side of the field to make a FG kick more manageable for Steelers/more difficult for Ravens, special teams play, ect. Decisions are not always as cut and dry as fans want to make them. Maybe the Steelers would had received the kick if Ben were playing and playing well?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How the hell does that compare to the NFL? Please, your're scaring me with this comparison.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Statistically it’s even. So no, there is no advantage. Try to remember we had a 3rd string rookie undrafted free agent qb in there. These variables make a difference

16. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    To me it makes no sense pick an end to defend, there is no excuse for it. I don't care if your on your emergency qb. You take the ball with the chance to win the game plain and simple. Tomlin try's to out think everyone, trying to be the smartest in the stadium. Instead he ends up being the dumbest you take the ball period. I can't believe that people defend kicking, your giving the opponent a chance to win the game with out you have a chance to have the ball. Hell its not out of the question they give up a kick off return for a TD even if the D is playing good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Defense playing well and offense going nowhere with a backup qb

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Statistically there is no advantage. Add in the fact we had an undrafted rookie qb it was the right call. Got it? Good

19. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It seems it makes no sense for you because you haven't thought of different variables involved in a football game. It's not always as cut and dry as people believe. Claiming that it was dumbest shows a lack at understanding.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    Keep arguing with everyone got it? You have zero understanding of stats. How many stats classes did you take in undergrad or grad? Are you a data analyst or have you studied statistical probability? Good with that, blowhard

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    There are other variables. Tomlin said something about not wanting the poor field position from the kickoff. The Ravens had two consecutive field goal drives heading into OT. The defense had been playing well enough to prevent TDs, but not points. If the defense did what they had done the previous two drives, we end up down 3 AND still receiving a kickoff, and the same assumed bad field position. Also, the Ravens have a WR who is faster than any of our DBs, and a QB who (despite his overall lack of true NFL QB ability) has the arm and deep ball accuracy to hit the big play downfield.

Look, we’re going to disagree. It is what it is. It’s nice that Tomlin trusted the defense, and that the defense rose up and did the job. I think it happened against the odds.

22. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Clearly more than you. You really should look in the mirror before calling someone a blowhard.

24. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Considering the data you provided there is a 72.3% chance that both teams possess the ball. So kicking the ball in OT is a logical decision based on different factors. Receiving the ball isn't always as cut and dry as people think.

25. Da_Cranberry

Jan 22, 2018
    I don’t even think you understand probability vs statistics. And I will bet you anything you don’t understand math or probability better than me. I had to take applied statistic which is a graduate level course to finish my masters degree. So don’t even try to front with your stupidity.

GOOD?