1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The coin toss... What really happened

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Xcursion88, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You don't write fiction very well. You should probably stop. And make no mistake, what you wrote is pure fiction.

2. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Can anyone post a video of the coin toss? I am curious what the OP saw that I didn't. Or maybe the OP was on the sideline? Maybe the OP is Mike Tomlin?....this would explain a lot!

3. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I'm pretty sure you both aren't visually impaired.

Did that really look like a normal coin toss call it and here we go affair?

Did Cam really look like he was totally sure of what was going on after....

He realized by the ref...

You WON the toss. Are you really sure you want to elect a direction to defend.

If that whole sequence of events looked normal to you both then I must ask what did you think of your first NFL game?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it looked like an official who was surprised to see the team that won the toss choose to kick off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This would all be so much easier if you post a pic of yourself chillin with Tomlin on the sideline so we can understand how you can guarantee and promise us what he told Heyward?

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just proved your bias. You are getting upset over pressers and quotes that don't matter. Belicheat dodges questions and people praise him and laugh about how he does it. It doesn't matter. Just watch the games. His cliches have no impact on you or the outcome of the game. I'm not even a Tomlin fan but you crazies got me defending him.

Yeah, it factors everything. But think how many times have teams gone into OT with an undrafted 3rd string with no in game experience? Maybe a few back-ups. Point is when you factor our situation our odds were way worse than most teams going into OT and taking the ball and having a 56% chance. What are the odds of teams winning a game with back-up QB? What are the odds with 3rd string? What are the odds with undrafted 3rd string thrown into their first game?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Don't let the ire of others make you change your belief which you know is right:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's made some horrible decisions but this one wasn't one of them. You could even argue it's probably the one of the few correct decisions he's made in his tenure.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree! It worked exactly as he planned! Had it not been for a fumble, he would have looked like a genius. Imagine that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    WOW! I just realized what that means. Ju Ju might very well have ruined Tomlin's chance at greatness!:smiley1:

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Holy ****! This just keeps getting bigger and better........ Maybe Ju Ju fumbled on purpose to prevent Tomlin from being seen as a genius?

We should ask the OP to see if he can promise us what Ju Ju really did?

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    FWIW quite a few talking heads in the media liked the move, it wouldn't be a good move if you were facing Brady, Brees, Rodgers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You actually aren't where you would have been if you took the ball first as in the scenario you just outlined a FG wins the game whereas that isn't the case if you receive the kick. Not sure it changes much for you but it is a difference.

14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Jets say no way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Oh...

But....

A player under his watch.... Fumbles at a crucial time...

A
    G
    A
    I
    N

Imagine that. Never seen that before huh

16. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    if he holds the ball you still need three first downs with a qb that he didnt have confidence in, to give him the ball in overtime.

17. Xcursion88

Dec 10, 2018
    Lol...
    Watch it again...

Cam second guesses himself...looks over at the sideline...

Had to be the longest coin toss ceremomy in the history of ROUTINE coin tosses.

Applaud embarrassing football brotha...

Tomlin is a joke.

He says the right **** alright... Just has no clue what the **** he's doing.

18. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I know what the stats say regarding the outcome of such a decision but I still think it's the wrong move. In the end, if you want to win you need to score. Scoring first gives you a definitive advantage. A first possession TD wins the game, a 1st possession FG still gives you a chance to win. By deferring to the other team of this opportunity, your odds of winning decrease. Blah blah.... historical outcomes are 50/50. I think there is more to that number and if given the opportunity, you will see this stat shift in favor of not deferring. The only way the strategy of deferring makes sense is if you are playing for a tie.

19. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Let's not forget, it's not like we had great field position after forcing Baltimore to punt. We started at the 32; that's just 7 more had we started with a touchback. So, yeah.... that was a big gamble for 7 yards.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    :facepalm:

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s a fair point, but remember that was Baltimore’s longest punt by a long way. Given how he had been punting, it would be fair to expect the ball at the 40-45.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You're actually a little behind in the other scenario, because their offense is going to use all 4 downs on you until they get into FG range. So you're not getting off the field on 4th and one from their 40 or even your own 40.