1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest position of need?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Besides the issue at QB, what position should they be looking to upgrade first?

Corner is always a need with this team. Our cb's are NEVER the envy of the league. Hilton might walk and that will be a blow. Haden has clearly lost a step. Artie is gone. Layne looked awful in preseason. It's not the most critical need but at least one quality guy will be needed soon.

We're going to be losing Hargrave(most likely), will Buggs be ready? Heyward is on the wrong side of 30, so he'll probably be done when his contract is up? His prime will be gone anyway. So, Dline will need to be addressed soon.

I think they'll re-sign Feiler and Banner at the end of the year. I don't think OL is the most immediate need.

Seems to me, we need to add more speed to the skill positions. I was on record banging the table for Mecole Hardman. Mahomes is loving him. We clearly need another wr with some speed.

We don't have a wr who ran a sub 4.5 forty. Not one. I'm tired of hearing how speedy that Washington is. He ran a 4.54 forty. That's not speedy. Sorry.

And we need a dynamic rb who is explosive and can create for himself. For a position that touches the ball all the time, they kind of neglected the position. They lost an All-pro and brought in Edmunds. And we know how good those Edmunds brothers are. Well, one of them is.

Whatta ya think? What's the most immediate need?

2. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Head Coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    GM
    He spent a lot of 1st round picks on the defense over the last few years and not all are worthy of that draft position. Too many were reaches without a teaching coaching staff to bring them along.

Left the offense to gradually get thin in depth at skill positions which we are seeing now.

Started this year with one fragile but workable TE McDonald ,Grimble being only a blocker and not a great one at that.

This year seems like desperation by Colbert and Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Obtaining a Wide Receiver in the 2020 Draft is counter productive currently for me. More than likely, I doubt they touch this position until 2021 at the earliest. Still too early to throw in the towel on James Washington. His lack of targets were more highlighted by Randy not giving Mason the oppurtunity to throw the ball. James is now injured. As such, the final verdict on James has to be put on hold.

Regarding the Offensive Line, I think adding some more depth would be key here. Ramon Foster is not getting any younger here and I wonder how much longer will it be until B.J. Finney is given the keys there. Maurkice Pouncey likely needs replaced as his contract is up in 2021. I would imagine looking into a Center would be near the top.

Defense?! Defensive Line and Outside Linebacker. The question is which one comes first?! If Dupree does indeed stay in Pittsburgh via a new contract, head for the Defensive Line. Cameron Heyward will be on the wayside of 30 as you said. Stephon Tuitt is finally coming into his own. Add the fact that yet another stacked interior Defensive Lineman class is coming in 2020 and it would not shock me if Pittsburgh opts for this option first.

Now, should Pittsburgh get rid of Dupree, Outside Linebacker. I love Ola Adenyi but he is still an unknown in Regular Season action. Simply heading into the season with essentially him and T.J. Watt is way too big a leap of faith for my liking. Perhaps finding someone in Free Agency like Shaq Barrett would help but that is if Tampa Bay or even someone else does not unload the vault first. Either way, Outside Linebacker becomes top of the tree should they move on from Bud.

Cornerback I am actually not too worried about. Just resign Mike Hilton please. Justin Layne will have had a full year to develop. I am sure he will be better next season. Besides, by the time Joe Haden's contract is up by 2021 or should he get injured within the 2020 season, Justin Layne should be ready by then.

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Greatest position of need: best player available. With a high #2, any player that can replace one of the starters, it is the greatest position of need. Chances are it won't be a QB, CB, or S. But if you get a Le'Veon Bell type RB, you draft him. If you get a stud OL, you draft him. If you get a TE that is a Heath Miller-type, you draft him. If you can get a 3 down DL, you draft him. If you get a OLB or ILB, that makes the team better, you draft him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    A friggin nose tackle that can stop those RBs from running right down the damn middle. :frustrated::beg::nono::club:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think we need another ILB to stick next to Bush, one that can play all sub-packages well. That or a third safety that can handle that same job.

I don't think we have glaring needs, but we are just plain 'ol average at quite a few places IMO.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Took 30 minutes for someone to say it. I figured on 2-3 minutes.

9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A star RB like Kahmara, Gurley or Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Punter. I want 80 yard boomers lol

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Isn't moncriefs and holton sub 4.5 wrs? AB wasn't sub 4.5 either.

We need depth on the d-line and olb. Two tuitts and two watts. Better depth at wr. :cool:

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    A road grader for the left side, someone to run behind on 3rd and short or 4th and 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If they could come out of the next draft with a good tight end and a good running back I’d be happy. You don’t necessarily need to pick high to get that, lots of examples of very effective late round guys and even UDFA’s doing well at RB in particular.

The big question is what to use that potentially high second for. OLB would be my best guess right now, but if they keep Bud on a team friendly deal then just take BPA as somebody said above. A good 3-4 DT/DE or and offensive line guy for the future would be fine by me.

While it’s too early to be talking draft strategy I wonder if they have a very high second should they trade back and try to get an additional pick in the third.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If they keep losing that 2nd will be quite high. You make that pick.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    1. The owner
    2. The head coach

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The lack of depth at many positions is a concern. The lack of true coaching is a concern. The desperation to add players is a concern.

Blow it up, let Tomlin go to Washington and lets see how he fares. I feel Colbert is finished here as well. He needs to be held accountable for the lack of depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The three most important things in the NFL are QB, protecting the QBs blindside (LT), and getting to the QB (edge rusher).

Projecting to next year and beyond the team doesn't look good at any of those 3 right now.

QB: Forget aging, an old, QB coming off elbow surgery and a complete unknowns otherwise
    LT: Alejandro is 31 and looks like he's lost a step
    Edge rusher: Watt is great on the right side, but that's it. Bud looks like Bud and won't be re-signed.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    How do you know Bud won't be resigned? Did you think they'd extend him for 9.2 mil last season? I didn't. He's on pace for the best season of his career, statistically. He hasn't missed more than a game or 2 since his second season. They seem to be happy with him.

19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    He's a UFA after this season. One would have assumed that they would have signed him to a long-term deal before the season if they were so inclined. If he has a good year there's no reason for him not to test the market at which point he probably becomes too expensive given the Steelers cap space (projected to be 25th in the league in 2020). If he has a bad year he's not worth re-signing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Holton = 4.54

You're right Moncrief was faster. The guy siting on the bench who can't catch. Bummer.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    TE without a doubt
    After that it's all the coaches

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Greatest position of need?

H
    E
    A
    D

COACH!!!!!!!

23. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Bud sucks!!!

He's the worst OLB on this team in a long long time.

A tease player and nothing more. That frame gets people all giddy on the what if factor.

Bud has cemented there is no what if and turned it into no way!!!

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :noose:

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Up until very recently it was FS but now TE is a big need. I would really like a great athlete at RB/WR for when this offense attempts to join the rest of the league and it’s approach to offense.