1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This article is spot on!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That writer is on crack.:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Who's gonna call the plays? Big Ben?

Moncrief is a veteran receiver, time to earn that contract before week 10.

Agree about Barron somewhat, not always giving 100%.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    After reading the article, I am all aboard for all 4..
    If we think Paxton Lynch is going to do us any good, then I don't think you have been watching any of his prior games (as a starter and back up).. I was still shocked we signed him.. Hell I saw Uncle Rico can sling it.. Lets go get him to back the Duck up..
    Firing Fichtner... Agree.. his play calling is lackluster to say the least, He really does nothing special.. and kind of wish we kept Munchak instead and just let Munchak run our O..
    Mark Barron.. this is an iffy one.. He does "ok" "at times" but I do think we do well without him.. Kinda reminds me of us playing burnett in that position.. Not my favorite..
    Finally, getting rid of Moncrief.. First thing.. whomever decision it was to let him play with those fingers the way they look... yikes.... Now I see why not even jacksonville wanted to pay him... He is atrocious.. yes its week 6 and there are no stand out WR on the wire but I am pretty sure Michael Floyd, Eli Rogers, Jalen Strong, or even a mike wallace (not sure I want him to return though) can help us be more productive than we are now..

6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think getting rid of Fuchtner may solve the issues at WR. Some legitimate NFL play calling could get the WR's some separation and then maybe we will see if we have legit #1 and #2 receivers.

7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I think that writer from USA today must be reading this board quite a bit. lol

• Like Like x 2
  8. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    sorry, I can't read articles on sites that commingle so much other stuff around the article. Give me a clean, ad-free site. Hodges the starter..... uh that's about our only option... no-brainer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    All 4 moves should be no brainers......
    In addition to that, I would move Barron's back to the secondary as the back up ss

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Why to get a better view of him jogging? :hehehe:

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This 'Keeping Munch' stuff is getting ridicules. They made an offer, HE decided to move on. Could be the locker room BS, or truly wanting to be closer to family. fact is, he made the decision.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly this nonsense that he would have stayed had we elevated his position has zero factual basis whatsoever. And he was a line coach not some offensive wizard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That's what I thought the plan was when they signed him, situational safety.

14. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    You know, sometimes I wonder if that is the real problem with Fichtner as OC . . . . he's just not actually an OC, and Ben is responsible for a huge chunk of the offensive decision-making when he's in there. With Ben out, Fichtner just doesn't know what to do because Ben always does most of it for him. And Ben can't help much from the sideline because he only knows what HE would want to do, not what Mason/Duck want to or are capable of doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I love all 4 options, the only one that I would even think about is Barron. Like many have said in a different thread he has been better the last couple games. Why Moncrief is still on this team is beyond me and Ben called the plays when he was on the field he might as well do it now....see ya Fitch!!!!!!!

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Does anyone know what the offer was that we made him?

17. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ben, AB, and Bell covered up a lot of coaching deficiencies for some time. Haley was ok, his situational play calling was horrendous and that is why he didn't last as a HC for the Chiefs and nobody looked at him after that. Fichtner is incapable of designing an offensive game plan and all you need to do is look at the last 2 games.

He changed it up against the Bengals and used the wildcat with a short passing game. The issue with that was the run game, he used the wildcat and tap passes because he can't design a trap or counter to get the running backs in space. I blamed the OL for a lot of the issues but I'm thinking the OC just can't design an offense. He is a figure head that watched as star players made lemonade out of lemons. However when teams did things to take out a star player we folded like a lawn chair.

The entire offense relies on star power, and it explains the Jekyll and Hyde performances. There really isn't a game plan for each team, instead they use the same isolation routes and hope the extra personnel used to cover receivers opens gaps for the run. Now the OC has to use the guys he has and design an offense based around their strengths and counter the other teams defense and he can't do it. Maybe they should see if Jay Gruden wants the OC job, he may want to take based on how the Rooney's do business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well someone mentioned a couple weeks that Munch was also the run game coordinator. So his absence is felt more than just OL coach....obviously

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Want a run based oc like Shanahan. Maybe after Ben leaves.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Well now we are just hiding in our fears...............:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Ficthner is here until Ben leaves. Ben wanted him cause he lets Ben do what he wants to do. Ben doesn't like or want change. YOu live and die by ben but for all the talent he has he is also very lazy and stubborn. He is also the reason we are probably stuck with Tomlin until Ben retires. Its been said that Ben doesn't want to go thru a new head coach or a new offensive scheme. I mean what QB in this league besides Ben does not (and admits to) not throwing at all during the entire off season, and then takes most of the offseason and training camp and pre season off? I understand when you have a HOF QB you kinda let them have free reign a little but but you still have to put in the work.

Point of the post is we are stuck with Fichtner as firing him will upset ben and we don't seem to do much if its gonna upset him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    The only thing I disagree with ( And I hate Fitchner ) is...If he did design plays to get RB's in space, It wouldn't matter because imo....We have all plodders, No RB's on our roster can get in space...

Surprises me that the Steelers said they wanted to get faster on D, and they did...But how about the O... Slowest RB's in the league, the whole league...WR's...No burners there either...Look at the Chiefs...SPEED...Speed everywhere...Puts teams on there heels, 1 play boom! We need a whole drive, then still don't score!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Not even Ben does what you say Ben does.

There have been lots of interviews with the WRs, both rookie and veteran, who have talked about Ben inviting them to his place to throw during the off-season.

And considering he is out for the season with a bad elbow, it is insane that you wanted him to pass even more, instead of resting his arm.

24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    My main man N.Y. ...You miss me? :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelerswire has no credibility :shrug: