1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was it not called a safety

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I thought all scoring plays are reviewed. The ball has to make it out of the white line completely. Season was already over but now it’s just going to be unbearable watching these games. Roughing passer call was a joke. Tomlin KO to start OT dumb. Still think trading a top ten pick was stupid by front office. I lived through late 80s and this is very similar. Joke offense and horrible quarterback play and find ways to lose and go 6-10 or 5-11.
    Going to suck not have a first round after this year. Offsides by rookie dumbest undisciplined play I have seen all year on fourth and 7.

2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    It wasn't a scoring play since it wasn't called a safety. It would have only been reviewed had it been called.

3. soulkitchen

soulkitchen Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    It was reviewable though. Oh, you don't want to waste a time out you say. Well we sure had no problem doing it before we kicked the field goal toward the end of the fourth. Smart teams don't do that. They get out there and kick the field goal, keep all three time-outs, because with +2 minutes left you just might need them.

This team plays...not too smart.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There was a few stupid plays and calls. Why didn't we call a time out at 22 seconds left in half and were close to a touchdown but had to settle for a field goal for not calling a timeout and went into the locker room still holding a time out. At least we should of gotten another play in to score a touchdown. Just bad clock management again.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The ball was all the way out of the end zone before the whistle blew. Perhaps the whistle should have been blown sooner, but it wasn't. It wasn't a safety. The officials were terrible today, missing calls both ways, but they got that one right.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Tomlin could have challenged this. And we all know how successful he is when he challenges the spot. Or anything else for that matter.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We got our first round pick in Fitzpatrick, he will be around for another 3 years after this season.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There are other ways the scenario could played out. Call TO. Next play results in a sack, INT, incomplete pass, pass to middle of field, FG team rushed on, ect. If it played out differently that resulted in 0 instead of 3 then people would be critical. We will never know.

I suppose they played for 3 in a close game. After all it was a gifted 3.

9. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    What I REALLY didn't like about the play was the guys running into the end zone signaling safety..... BEFORE THE PLAY WAS OVER.... Watt had him, but he was able to lunge forward before his knee touched the ground. Maybe if the guys celebrating had actually attempted to join the tackle, he wouldn't have been able to lunge forward. I don't mind guys celebrating, but I've seen too many plays where a guy celebrates a hit when the ball is on the ground and could have been recovered as a fumble... or worse yet when we celebrate getting a first down when we're a full yard short. It's the discipline we still seem to lack from time to time.... maybe less so than before, but I still don't like seeing it. Finish the play....then celebrate.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He would have lost the ball got out before he was down. I swear you guys want him to challenge some of the dumbest stuff when it was clear by the TV reviews.

that wasn’t even close.

the End of half stuff was garbage. Should have been a delay of game. Defender was slowing the player getting back to the huddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    you can’t see the knee going down from their vantage point and if they slam in there they run the risk of a penalty. Fine line there.

12. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Clock management in critical game moments is one of Tomlin's biggest flaws/weaknesses. It has driven me bonkers his entire tenure here.

13. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    It was not even close to a safety... and would it have mattered? we would have got the ball and punted back to ravens........ They would have still had a ton of time and then tucker would have beat us in reg instead of tying.........

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I thought it was the right call because they had only one timeout left.