1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Can we take advantage of sucking?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    The season is over, and please don't insult yourself by suggesting otherwise.

Usually we aren't eliminated by week 5, but maybe we can use that to our advantage.

We should try to be sellers before the trade deadline. There have been TONS of injuries this year and many teams who are still right in the middle of the action who are looking for help(not us obviously)

But, who should we trade, and are they worth trading?

As for the guys who are up at the end of the year, you have to get back better than what you might get in a compensatory pick for them. Keep in mind, getting a high 4th round pick is much better than a comp pick in the 4th. Anything that might help this pathetic team. Don't forget, now that it's over we can sell decent players before the deadline so we should be able to sell a little higher than you might think.

First, release Moncrief, get the pick back.

Here's your rent-a-players with some possible value to other teams: Hargrave, Dupree, Burns, and Hilton.
    Who knows how the comp pick stuff works but based on experience living, I could see guys like Hargrave and Dupree bring in 4th round comp picks. Hilton, maybe 6th.

Other guys you might get something for is Haden, Conner, and Barron. Haden is not what he used to be but teams looking to make a run might overpay for two years of Haden. Same with Barron. Losing Conner is no loss imo, but a team might need a RB out there. I doubt anybody would give much for him, but you can at least inquire.

Possibly Vince Williams or Big Dan could be options. They're not really needed with this team. Some desperate team might be able to use these guys.

Anybody else you would trade?

Point is, you might as well take advantage of the fact that your season is over already if you can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Season ain’t over.

-Glenn somewhere lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Mathematically we’re still alive.....lol.

Sorry I was channeling some positive energy. Very uncharacteristic of me. Sorry about that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Dupree, Burns, Barron.

I don't want to lose Hilton but how much is he going to want?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Who can we trade to get a first back?

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Season is probably done, but there’s no reason to break it up.

Next year they’ll be right back in it.
    Just need to fix the silly mistakes and change some Coordinators.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin to Miami?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    This is absurd.

This team isn’t hopeless but trading some of those guys will make them that way.

If BR is healthy, this team is 3-2 at worst.

Get him healthy, or get Rudolph a season of experience, and get the defense another season to grow, and this team will be right back in the thick of things in the AFC next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have been hearing that about this defense for a long time now. It hasn't grown and it won't. Not with Butler calling the defenses and coaching these guys. We have done a horrible job evaluating talent in the draft for defense and we have not been able to coach anyone up to anywhere near their potential. We have a first round corner pick playing special teams. That says it all

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Ravens weren’t that impressive to me. I was wrong, I thought they were a lot better than they actually are. The browns are still the browns. And the bengals are one of the worst teams in the league. Yes this year is done, but with a healthy Ben this team could win the afc north.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    To answer the question....we have perfected the sucking part already ,so maybe there’s a chance.

12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Ultimately, I'd like to keep Hilton but he might command more than we're thinking. It's all about what someone might be willing to give. I would think if they wanted to keep him, and im not sure why the wouldn't, they would have locked him up.

Maybe they know how much they can spend based on the contracts coming up and they don't think it's gonna work.

13. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Then it Sounds like a coaching problem more than a player problem, no?

Maybe that’s the change that’s needed rather than trading players.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm curious, of the guys I mentioned, which one/ones would cripple the team if they were lost? Please respond, i'm very curious.

15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea sucking has its advantages. It frees up Sundays for me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Connor
    Haden
    Williams

None would “Cripple the team” but all are valuable players that trading would create holes where there really aren’t now.... or aren’t as glaring as other places.

17. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    What....for a fifth round pick!!:hehehe:

18. TomlinSux

Oct 8, 2017
    Coaching problem:amen:...will the front office have the ballz to do anything...that’s another problem.

19. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    gooddeal.gif

• Like Like x 1
  20. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

True but playoff hopes are over

• Like Like x 1
  21. TomlinSux

Oct 8, 2017
    But mathematically we can still get to the Super Bowl:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not saying it can't be done next year, but Ben is going to be 38 and he has taken a lot of abuse over the years. Plus he tends not to take care of himself in the off season. There's a very realistic chance that if Ben comes back, he's not going to be the same Ben we're used to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The only player with any trade value they could move is Hargrave, but he will be a free agent next season, so a desperate team might give up a 4th I doubt it though.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben rarely gets sacked the last few years, he also has come into camp in great shape the last few years.

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He doesn't throw in the off season. There's in shape and then there's football shape. He's coming into camp cold every year. That's hard on the arm when he starts chucking it. Perhaps that's why he got hurt. His body just can't take that kind of sudden stress anymore.

I know everyone thinks Ben is our savior, but he's getting old and he couldn't get us into the playoffs with a far more talented offence last year. I wouldn't expect much next year from this team. Our OL and Ben will be a year older.

• Agree Agree x 1