1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

AB forfeited a lifetime of glory in Pittsburgh (Good read)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 3, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Avy check, him too. It will be interesting to see if the Steelers let AB crawl back to the organization like they did Harrison and Woodson.

PITTSBURGH — Attending a Steelers game in the 2019 season is a lot like wandering into a perverse remake of "It’s a Wonderful Life."

What would the NFL be like if Antonio Brown had never been a Steeler?

Like this, obviously.

Among the fans approaching Heinz Field on Monday night and those who were in attendance for Pittsburgh's 27-3 destruction of Cincinnati, there almost was no evidence he had ever been the most gifted wideout in the team's illustrious history. On the facing in the West end zone are the names of Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Buddy Dial and, now, Hines Ward, all receivers enshrined in the Pittsburgh Steelers Hall of Honor. Between 2010 and 2018, Brown was better than all of them. Now, he is erased.

In some NFL cities, one can attend a game and notice the same one or two players featured on every fan who wears a numbered jersey. At Steelers-Bengals, I observed fans wearing the shirts of more than 25 different players, from the established icon (injured quarterback Ben Roethlisberger) to the rising star (linebacker T.J. Watt) to the hot, new rookie (linebacker Devin Bush), from the Hall of Fame legends (Bradshaw, Harris, Greene) to the idols of more recent vintage (Polamalu, Ward) to the obscure surprises (Eric Pegram, Charlie Batch).

There were even one or two still bold enough to sport the No. 26 with Le’Veon Bell’s last name across the back shoulders.

But not a single No. 84 Antonio Brown jersey anywhere. He was a Steeler as recently as 10 months ago, and now his memory is expunged, like George Bailey when he is given a tour of once-quaint Bedford Falls now morphed into a dump called Pottersville.

Some AB jerseys were burned, others donated. None is worn.

There were only a few sartorial items on a football Monday that served as reminders of what Brown had been: deeply discounted No. 84 Steelers jerseys, as low as $20 each; a T-shirt on a stand outside one of the many sports-gear shops in the city’s Strip District that imposed a red "Going Out Of Business" tag over Brown's old "Business Is Boomin'" catch phrase; and another worn by at least two fans outside Heinz Field with profane "F— AB" on the front and a nearly as profane "A— 84" on the back, all done up in black and gold.

Brown may not care, but he forfeited a lifetime of glory in forcing his way out of Pittsburgh. Harris still is doing television commercials in the region for United Heath. Jerome Bettis has a weekly show on WPXI. Rocky Bleier is rotating through the role of court martial judge in the Pittsburgh Public Theater’s stirring production of Aaron Sorkin’s classic play, "A Few Good Men" – and when Bleier declares near the close of the first act that the "DEE-fense" should be ready to present its case, one can feel the electricity sweep across the audience.

Ward returned Monday night for his Hall of Honor induction and drew the loudest ovation from the Heinz Field spectators — significantly more decibels, even, than local native and Super Bowl-champion coach Bill Cowher.

Brown punted this sort of wonderful life, opting instead for the current chaos that has consumed his brilliant career. Every time another Steeler catches a pass, it surely has to sting.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...rgh-steelers-erased/8qx1no8asy6m14gqxa94ci78l

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm not sure AB gives a rats buttocks about any of that.

And at the rate he's going, without professional help, he'll be dead, homeless or in jail within two years. So his problems are much bigger that loss of adulation and legendary status with Stiller Nation.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He may not immediately realize his mistakes but make no mistake about it he will look back in a few years and wonder what the heck went completely wrong.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    He's a laughing stock of the league now and only has himself to blame for it.. Don't really care if he has mental problems the dude has always been a self centered scum bag it was just hidden better in his earlier years.. Now everybody knows who he truly is.. So f em

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    There is a lot to be said about being raised and guidance. I think AB really lacked it growing up.

You look at a lot of the successful players we had, a lot had good functioning parents.
    Bettis and Hines come to mind.

I think AB raised himself a lot in his youth and it shows.
    Some turn out good under this method but many do not.

Regardless it's sad what it has become. I thought AB was going to be the next Jerry Rice, that's how good he was and is.

But his actions are out weighing what he brings to a team in order to win anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He blew a surefire Hall Of Fame career, he also lost out on 40 million guaranteed :facepalm:.

7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Spot on...A lot was hidden for years...I suspect it started out small and just snowballed...Then eventually spiralled out of control...Make no mistake, This Clown has been a royal A**hole for YEARS, Not just the past year

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    :sleepy: I fear that Blast will blast me for what I'm thinking right now so Glenn, have at it! :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm still pissed off about my worthless bumble bee AB jersey. :facepalm:

10. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    AB is no different than any person who becomes a celebrity and can’t handle the fame and the fortune without it going to their heads. They in essences end up buying into their own hype.

This sort of thing happens to people of all races, colors and creeds and across all landscapes of employments. From movie stars, to rock stars to athletes to business men. It has nothing to do with how your raised or lack of any morals as it’s happened to the best and to the worst of people. Some people just simply can’t handle the fame and fortune and they burn out before they realize what they have lost and all the damage they have done. AB is no different in this scenario.

it didn’t happen cause of CTE or concussions or lack of upbringing or any other mental illness. Fame and money just simply ruins some people and turns them into dispicable people. The only question ever is if they realize it before there’s nothing left to salvage in their life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bama Steel

Bama Steel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Through all the catastrophes, comedy and chaos, I got to hate Brown for it . I was a big loyal fan for a long time. He would send me autographed pictures in the mail, and that made me admire him more. Then things changed, and before you knew it, it was all over. Unfortunate, yes but I think the best description is that it's a cryin' shame . For him, The Steelers and Steelers fans. Sad.

12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Antonio Brown? Never heard of her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Who is this AB of whom you speak?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    You will be happy to know that through all my fame and success, I have remained humble and still care for all you little people! Your Welcome!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I would love to see total disclosure of all of AB's issues was it gradual decline in normal behavior or was there a sudden spike of odd behavior at some point maybe the Burfict hit broke his brain.

Was he a normal good guy to start or was he always a DB but he was so productive they covered it up, much like Ben when he had his issues.

I hope he gets help but if not keep drinking that tiger blood because your winning!

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Who?

17. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    At this point, AB is no longer important to me. I don't care.

But man I feel so bad for his partner and kids. This all sucks so much for them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Now if we could just permanently "erase" AB from this TSF message board, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Stupid is as stupid does. Good ridden. When you are an azz hat, karma usually comes full circle right back at ya!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    His fall from grace has been absolutely extraordinary when you really think of it. He was the cover star on madden 19 and widely regarded as the best at his position and one of the very best players in the league.

He’s now toxic to the point where he can’t get a job. A desperate team may roll the dice on him at some point but his career as we all knew it is over. He is an embarrassment to the league and his former team where he was a hero for nine seasons will surely never welcome him back under any circumstances. I can’t think of a comparable situation with any player in any sport ever.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Watch him win his 9 grievances against the Raiders and NE and get rewarded with $61MM.

It ain’t over until it’s over.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Was it really hidden or ignored? He had documented issues going all the way back to college.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have a signed helmet of LevBell and AB together :lolol:

Worthless now.

24. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    No AB jerseys? What about Deuce Stanley?

25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What brand helmet? Maybe you can sell it AB for his next comeback?