1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Moncrief be given another chance this week??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Oct 2, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Tomlin mentioned yesterday he only played 3 plays the other day during the Monday night game and that he has handled his benching well and is working hard at practice as well. I think another chance should be given just because other then Johnson no other receiver is stepping up and making plays.

Moncrief is a veteran and at least has a pedigree of catching 60 some passes in a season. So I would expect him to get another chance and maybe even this week against the Ravens. I know one thing though if the ball is thrown his way in a big situation he damn sure better catch it this time and not have it be a costly play in the game like his drops were in both the Patriots and Seattle games.

I’d give another opportunity but if he screws up and drops another big ball again I probably release him or deactivate him the rest of the season cause if the Steelers are gonna trust Moncrief again and give him another chance he absolutely cannot afford to screw it up again this time around.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Get his hand healed up, then test him.

Hate to see him dropped if the coaches don’t let him heal up first. (Think about how good Vance is when healthy.)

Hate to see him kept if he still plays the same way when healthy. But we won’t know that if that is the case, until the mangled fingers go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    [QUOTE="MeanJoeBlue, post: 706429, member: 1190"Think about how good Vance is when healthy.)
    .[/QUOTE]
    Yea but when the hell is that

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Make him catch 50 passes in a row at practice without a drop. If he can do this, make him WR3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Quite simple...

4th quarter.
    Steelers trailing 24-21.
    2:30 to go. 1 timeout

3rd and 6, Bal 41 yardline.

Juju well covered, DJ double covered deep, McDonald/Vannett well covered, Conner/Samuels blocking...

There's a receiver crossing the field, with 1 yard separation, at Bal 25 yardline.

Do you want him to be Washington, Switzer or Moncrief?

7. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes. He should get another chance.

Fielding punts.

For the Ravens.

Seriously though, if he's 100% healed, sure give him a shot. But don't throw to him in a must have situation until he can prove he's back to his old self.

8. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    Each snap he gets, he's taking away valuable reps from JW or DJ.

IMHO, Moncrief brings nothing to the table.
    Even on empty sets, our top 3 WR + McDonald / Vannet + Samuels / Conner or even Holton (speed) would be an upgrade over Moncrief.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not this week, this game is too important, can't have another situation like the Seahawks game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The ball hits Moncrief in the hands and he drops it. Switzer catches it for a 0 yard gain. I'll take my chances with Washington.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm ready for the youth movement. Johnson looks like he has the tools.

Moncrief should get a shot but it's got but at the expense of some one else.
    I want to see Johnson getting more reps, he's the only WR getting decent separation at the moment.

This will hopefully get Juju more open as well.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I was telling my son last Sunday that I found it strange how the Steelers not only benched him but made a bold statement that Johnson was the starter from here on out. Teams usually don't make such committal statements, they usually posture a little more. Like saying, Moncrief is struggling right now so we are going to give the kid a chance.

I wondered if there was more to it that just dropped passes?

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm concerned about any move that might keep them from cutting Moncrief soon enough to get that compensatory third-round pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes always give em a chance if they can show in practice they have improved. One more chance and if it does not work out then he has to move on with his lifes work

15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd definitely put him in as a starter beginning..................pre-season 2020! Right now, from all he's shown in live action, he's merely a Limas Sweed clone whether caused by physical or mental impairment. :shrug:

16. dexter402

dexter402 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Moncrief's days are numbered no matter what he does, we need to release him by week 10 to get our 3rd round comp pick for Bell, because the Eagles cut Forte.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm pretty confident they are on top of that:smiley1:

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I don't understand why you can't see how his finger injury is in practices and see if he has the drops. If he doesn't drop them in practice, be needs another chance. Then if he drops them in game, its in his head and need benched again. You got to try him in game to be certain. But remember he wasn't that great in Jacksonville.

19. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    We don't need him in our new dink n dunk offense.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The weird thing is he wasn't a drops machine other places he went, he was pretty decent with the Colts?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Switzer. I would trust him the most to catch the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Yes he deserves another shot , if his finger is healed and he shows he can catch in practice then he deserves another shot. I think it was his injury and maybe him trying to hard to impress his new team.
    Wow a couple of bad games and the room is asking for him to be cut.
    This isn t NE its the Steeler way to give people second , third or fourth chances eg. Bud, McCullers etc etc.

23. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    We should pass the ball to him a lot to find out if he still has the drops....when we have a big lead and the game is in hand.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

The sooner Moncrief leaves, the better. James Washington has to break out at some point because they still need someone to stretch the field. Getting him going should be a bigger emphasis than giving Moncrief any more reps.

From then on, it is up to James to make the most of them. That being said though, he has yet to so that. However, with a Ravens secondary missing Jimmy Smith, look for James to get some more action.

25. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thats the downside of Moncrief, he is always banged-up.