1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When Atlanta finally has enough....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jammasterc, Sep 29, 2019.

1. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    The scheme and the play-calling still belong to Tomlin.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well... nor do I. Should Butler fail tomorrow, demote him given the fact he is the only OLB Coach currently. Make Teryl the Interim DC and see how he does from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its was never Tomlin's from day one. Lebeau and Arians called they're plays and planned their schemes. Tomlin only stood on the sideline just like he does now and let his coordinators do their jobs

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t want any coach from Atlanta... they are a soft underachieving team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yeah I know it was you, idk maybe they're turning over a new leaf but I doubt it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Pretty much appears that way... Is it him? Is it Rooney? Who knows?

All I know is that situational ball has disappeared and for a good bit disappeared around here. Many similarities between HC's and Dc's situationally/statistically but the results are heading south. Enough evidence to argue for/against Yadda, yadda, yadda. Many of us around here don't have the acumen around here and just heart on sleeve ***** and moan. However, some of us know a bit about pigskin and it's ridiculous and all to easy to point out mentions day in and out for awhile now.

Injuries matter and that will be the scapegoat this year, but the plan is not marred by injuries or whatever when you consider that the plan was inch by inch failing to begin with.

Yeah we lost AB "for good reasons" but it still hurts. Bell didn't matter as he ghosted the team all of last year but nonetheless talent was lost. I believe we currently have quite a bit of talent on both sides of the ball but lack the captain to steer the ship... Put mofo's in position to prosper and game plan against the opponent not trot out the same old same old based on historic results. Leagues changed and folks in the league have as well. Around here, not so much and it is not because we don't have the horses to run with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Disagree 100% Tomlin has put his hands on this more and more each year:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...efense-eli-manning-trade/stories/201909240086

• This is not Keith Butler’s defense. It’s Tomlin’s. Butler, based on the available evidence, is a figurehead coordinator. Tomlin has commandeered the defense. It’s his. Therefore, any and all criticism (or praise, should it come to that) should be directed at him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Butler, Tomlin, Tomlinson does it really matter? The way to improve this defense is to get rid of the head coach. That's it. And talk of all this talent? Most are underachieving. When you really need a stop, the show is folded.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    exactly!!! As you say if Tomlin is actually making the defensive calls then we have been pointing blame in the wrong direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Is he though? Most times when they show him during a game he’s just standing there. I rarely see him engaged with anyone. He may override Butler occasionally, but I doubt he’s making all the calls during the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    No certain and your right there is not really a great deal of activity but we dont see alot of him during the game and when we do it's similar to a statue. Pretty sure we could replace him with a Ronald MacDonald statue and nobody would even notice. He must manage the game from his fisher price headset... lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Whoever is making the calls stinks at it.

Hire Bobby Petrino as wr coach and Jeff Fisher as DC.

Draft some buckeyes. Watched that game last night between NO and dallas and it looked like the scarlet and gray game. We started with cam and now vannett. :smiley1::cool:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I totally agree......whoever is making the calls stinks and it sure shows.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    It isn’t so much about MT making the calls as it is with him putting the game plan together. We as fans and message board junkies don’t know what happens at practice during the week and who is setting the game plan. Just cause a guy is making the calls on the sidelines don’t mean that is his defense.

There is a lot out there from beat writers that says MT has his hands in the defense. This dollar defense didn’t come from Butler that’s for sure. Butler learned from Lebeau and he ran mostly 3-4. Add in that MT came here as a defensive coach and we keep taking steps backwards on that side of the ball that tells me he stinks. Jmo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Why hire mediocre retreads? Find an innovative young mind. Or like Munch hire a known successful coach.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think the stubborn and stupid sentiment comes from the fact that our coaching staff is highly questionable and the front office seems not to see it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I honestly think Fichtner is worse. And I think it will show more and more as we watch games where Ben cant check out of plays or run the no huddle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Are you at practice, to know what's going on?

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I would take long odds against this being the case. LeBeau's defense changed the instant Tomlin arrived.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    They couldn't keep the great O-line coach they had. Rooney doesn't believe there are any problems. I don't see them doing anything quite so dramatic as this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know why this is so hard for fans to figure out, Butler has the defensive playsheet, he calls the plays. Occasionally you will see Tomlin with a smaller sheet, but he isn't talking into his headset like Butler.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The great OL coach wanted to go to Colorado to be close to his daughter, and granddaughter.

23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

And who puts the game plan in during the week? You can call the plays all you want if the game plan stints does it matter?

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And the great Leabeau wanted to retire ........not.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t know man and I don’t know when it changed. To me the buck stops with the HC ,so if the DC or the OC or the STs. coach isn’t getting it done ,it’s the HCs job to fix it. There should be no such excuse that so and so is calling the plays. You have a week to get on the same page and again the buck should stop with the HC.

If Tomlins hands are tied like some have suggested when it comes to his coordinators then he should man up and demand control of his team. He sure does enough chest thumpin when things go right. If he’s the coach some think he is he should have that control,No?

• Like Like x 1