1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I am willing to give Mason another chance how bout you?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 24, 2019.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I admit I was riding him hard after that loss. I see articles saying how he is not the answer, how we will be worse than dolphins next year(lol). I had a knee jerk reaction, it happens. As @groutbrook said, Ben's first 2 games were worse than Mason's although we have not seen his 2nd full start yet. We just had a killer defense and good running game. AV was on his ass the whole SF game. Credit to Bosa who is a beast btw but we did nothing to help AV.

Bens first start @miami he went 12/22 163 yards 1td and 1int. Steelers win 13-3 (162 rushing yards)
    Masons first start @SF he went 14/27 174 yards 2td and 1int. Steelers lose 24-20 (79 total rushing)

Bens second start vs Bengals he went 17/25 174 yards 1td 0int Steelers win 28-17 (165 total rushing)
    Masons second start vs Bengals ??? TBD

Btw that dolphins team was a 4 win team, bengals 8 win team lol.

If Mason lights it up and we win then awesome. If he is a dud then its safe to say he will probably suck as this Bengals team is terrible.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mason will pull through and get the win as long as everyone else does their jobs and not turn the ball over CONNERS!!!!:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Absolutely! He struggled but he had ZERO time to throw the ball. Ben would have struggled as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    our O line was never a power running line. All finesse that would get stifled by any physical defenses, and that was WITH ben/brown/bell and healthy O line. Now you take those 3 away while adding age and no munchak, then add in a gimp Conner and some nobodies and well it got ugly fast lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Good god... we almost won with Rudolph. QB is not the problem. Hell.. kicker is not a problem anymore, Boswell looks like he's over the shanks. The O-line, D-line, ILBs, losing McDonald to injury and Conner's fumble all played a role in losing vs. 49ers... moreso than the QB play of Mason Rudolph.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible. He did OK for his first NFL start. The game was a building block for him. He needs to learn from his mistakes and improve from week to week.
    Guys like Mahomes who come in and look like Hall of Famers right from the start are rare, most new QB'S go through the learning process like Rudolph is doing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I say a lot of stupid things.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course. Imagine of the Steelers had pulled the plug after Bradshaw's disastrous rookie season. Rudolph will be good in time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I know he didn't have all day to throw, but the times where it looked the the O-line held up a bit, he was still either rushing his passes or would tuck the ball in and run. Other times he had the opportunity to either take a step here or there and buy another second or two. He just doesn't seem to have good pocket presence. Maybe experience will help, maybe not.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Exactly... It's crazy that people here are already writing him off because he didn't win his first game like Ben did.

Newsflash: Ben had an amazing team around him in '04. Burress, Ward, Bettis, Staley, Hartings, Faneca, Smith, Randle El, etc... along with the Big Nasty D. Rudolph don't have anywhere near that talent to work with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Give Mason another shot?! I was more than willing to. Given the circumstances, I am impressed he has fared that well. Mason is not the main issue. The Offensive Line remains the issue.

Again, mainly the two tackles. Speed rushers seem to be the issue. Both Matt and Big Al have to step up at some point. In addition, there needs to be more intensity in run blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
  14. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018
    I'm on Mason's side 100%. The coaches have to put him and the team in a better situation to win and prepare and gameplan better which is going to be the problem almost all of the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    After Bradshaw's first 2 seasons he had 19 TD passes and threw 46 picks. It's a good thing we had Chuck Noll as head coach who saw Bradshaw's potential and didn't panic and kick him to the curb.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't blame Mason. Horrible play calling, o-line, lack of running game, and living in our fears and not letting him throw further than 5 yards in the 1st half. I'm with Mason but if they lose to the Bengals this is going to get ugly real quick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He is getting another chance whether fans like us give it to him or not. He is in for the season barring injury.

I’d give him a pass on last weekend due to the pressure he was under and the ineptness of those around him. I think Vance going down was huge as well, he really connected with him the previous week and I think that he was going to be a big part of the game plan, unfortunately he got hurt.

This offence might get clicking at some point if the O-Line can give Mason more time in the pocket. The offence was dreadful in the first six quarters of the season with Ben in there as well. It’s not a good offence right now regardless of who the QB is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Hey, I'm one of his biggest doubters here, but I'm not going to make a judgement until after the season is over. It's not what he is now, it's what he is at the end of the year and the trajectory he's on.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    you know who else people always said his arm strength sucked, some guy named brady with 6 sb wins.....

Mason will be ok, it's our coaching that is hurting us. Given a good scheme and some talent I think he can be a top 10 QB

• Like Like x 1
  20. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    and if he sucks and we lost against the bungles, mods please delete my post, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah bradshaw had 6 TDs 24 picks in his first season, and his second season was not much better with 13 TDs 22 picks, bradshaw was a career pick machine with 212 TDs 210 picks, so mason has 1 start with 4 TDs 2 picks in 1 and a half games and people want to bench him, hell give him a chance he doesnt have a running game and a sieve for an Oline, coaching is the biggest problem here not mason....

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    also note that 1 interception was on moncrief. The other was a horrific pass thats all on him though.

23. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I did not know Bradshaw was that horrific lol... wow.

24. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Not only the players around him but look at the coaches Ben had on offense. In addition to Cowher as head coach, the assistants were Ken Whisenhunt, Russ Grim, Dick Hoak and Bruce Arians. Compare that to the joke of a coaching staff that Rudolph has to play for and it is amazing he did as well as he did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Mason will be just fine. Will he be an elite Franchise qb? who knows at this point. Ill take him as my backup over almost every other backup in the league (saints might have the best backup right now). The niners are a legit team and he held his own against them. He started slow and had a lot of over throws and timing issues but what do you expect with a backup that hasn't had the time to develop chemistry yet with the team (not to mention a lot of youth on the WR position that are still learning).

He is also trying to run an offense that wasn't designed for him (with an OC that isn't smart enough to adjust for his skillsets).

He will be just fine but has some growing pains to get thru.

• Agree Agree x 3