1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How hot??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Sep 22, 2019.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Is Tomlin on the hot seat already this season, or has MR cooled that some since he is a rook? IMO the extension they gave him was so he could leave when Ben does .......

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Knowing Art that seat is probably tepid at best.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If you hear the words rededicated to running the football or an uptake in mentions of Steeler football you can bet that AR2 has had a conversation with Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Sadly, I think he'll get a pass because of Ben shelved for the season. Which is ironic, because this team wasn't a well-oiled machine with Ben at the helm either.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I posted this in the game thread but I'll post it here too.

Remember last year when the Packers fired Mike McCarthy the people saying how terrible they were to do that and they'll be sorry. Well maybe there weren't that many. But anyway under unknown rookie HC Matt LeFleur, the Packers are 3-0 with a more balanced offensive attack and revamped defense.

To the people who always say you can't fire Tomlin who you gonna replace him with? Here's an example that yes there is life after Tomlin. Too bad AR2 is too stubborn to see this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hollywoodbags68

Hollywoodbags68 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    They could go 2-14 for the next five years and Tomlin will still have a job.

Commitment to Mediocrity.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think the biggest problem with this team is the players lack of detail when on the field. They say it’s communication, but if everyone knows what they should be doing communication should come easy.

8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The assistants are as big of a problem as Tomlin; whether it is game planning or player development. I still haven't figured out why there isn't a QB coach. There is not one assistant coach on the Steelers that I would want as head coach on an interim basis. We had a thread about Tomlin's coaching tree awhile ago. It looked worse than a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This goes directly to coaching. Teaching the details is what coaching is supposed to do and communication is a part of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I said it last year and i'll say it this year i don't think the players are buying what Tomlin is selling anymore .. the ofense and defense has been stale for years now... The fans can see it .. the players have to see it, even though they won't admit it pubicly..... Is Art to stubborn to see it?? Hell even Tomlin should see it..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe it's because the Packers signed some good defensive players in free agency, Aaron Rodgers didn't get along with McCarthy the last few years.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nice try, they won 13 games in 2017, they would've won probably 12 last year if Boswell didn't blow like 3 games.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    And then lose in the first or second round of the playoffs. So really what's the point here?

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well if they were good enough, they would've advanced.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    But with this coaching staff they are not so it basically is pointless.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I too think Tomlin might be losing the team. Effort & discipline are lacking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe.

It’s worth remembering we have a young receiving corps (I think Johnny Holton is the oldest), who show flashes but are still finding their way. I don’t see a lack of effort there (barring Moncrief) but definitely a lack of nous.

The o-line was the biggest disappointment though. I don’t buy that losing Munchak has meant Pouncey, Villanueva, Foster et al have forgotten how to block.

Garrappolo was getting rid of the ball a split second before getting hit - with his line playing with any less effort and we’d gave around 7 sacks. Rudolph had poise, but he needed that extra split second. And by and large didn’t get it.

I don’t know if it’s effort or something Fichtner is doing, but until it’s fixed it will be a long season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wander if the Steelers would be open to some consultants. Nick Saban employs many
    and he is the best college coach since Bear Bryant. Maybe a consultant role should be looked at?

19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    :rolleyes:

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes but that same Boswell won them about 5 games in 2017. So it works both ways. He also won them a playoff game by kicking 6 FGs . If the success of your team relies on your kicker that much,you’re probably not a great team. Also remember the QBs they faced that season....

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    All of the NFL teams have a similar amount of talent, the wins and losses are dictated by the coaching or lack there of. IMO

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    If you listen to espn, nfl or any of these whacko "analyst" Tomlin is the greatest coach in the 100 years of NFL football. To even question him is absurd. Tomlin aint ****, he's ruined the team with his lack of coaching ability. Just so happens Ben goes down and now Tomlin can't win a game. I'm not a Ben supporter but I'll tell you what, he is the reason we won anything with Tomlin.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    All the good teams do. Teams like the Dolphins have no talent, they traded them all away for some dumb reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe they want to be as bad as their city's baseball team. Seems the Steelers are going to be as bad as their city's baseball team.

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tomlin will get a pass even if Steelers do terrible.
    They won’t want Ben to have a new coach, in his final couple seasons, if he does return or not.
    Could be a change then.

• Agree Agree x 1