1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Objective evaluation of Tomlin's strengths and weaknesses

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Strengths
    1. Ability to connect with/motivate players
    2. Manages locker room of big personalities well
    3. Good in press conferences

Weaknesses
    1. Not an X's and O's guy
    2. Not a good gameday coach re: adjustments
    3. Tendency to draft the person, not the player (i.e. not great at evaluating NFL talent)

Please add to the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Perfect with a few objectified edits. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not totally sure about this one. Tomlin, in his early days, used to kind of make a deal about how the players are "men" and so deserve to be treated like men. It sounded nice at the time, as if he respected them as men and professional athletes to do their job without him stepping in and getting in their faces.

The problem with the way it has turned out is that he's not actually coaching in a lot of areas. It's his job to motivate, and his job to correct when things are not working, or find another player who will do it right. I've felt for awhile now that Tomlin still has this idea of treating the players like "men" and "professionals," but the problem is, when they're not acting like men or living up to playing like a professional, that doesn't work, and he needs to get in there and motivate them, with consequences if necessary (i.e. AB on multiple occasions). This cupcake stuff isn't doing anybody any favors.

4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    1. he is great with words
    2. he has cool aviators
    3. he starred in house

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm the captain now?

7. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    When people complain that the Steelers aren't prepared for games, I had the impression that they are well prepared... if the opponents do exactly what they did last time. But if any of the starters gets injured (or are making mistakes), or the opposing team changes their style, then the Steelers can't adjust to that. (The Patriots changed from when they lost the previous year, and the Steelers seemed to expect them to play the same.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    You also forgot he is not very good at evaluating coaching Talent. This falls under the same premise of drafting the player not the talent.

He has coaches he likes as friends but aren't that good at their jobs.

Long list of coaches that have not produced and have been allowed to over stay their welcome!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Positives:

He does motivate his players as evident by the way the Steelers have been competitive every year he has been the coach. I've seen is get off to slow starts as does Ben BUT I've not witnessed the team pack it in during the season.

He usually knows what to say which is not much at all. Dont give them anything they can use against yo . Bellicheck does the same thing without the scathing criticism.

He gets the most out of his players. This is evident by witnessing how our starters fail after a season or two with other teams. Now if someone wants to make an argument that he and Colbert dont draft well to begin with I can counter.

Negatives:

Too loyal to a fault to his coaches which may also be a positive depending on how you see it BUT I wanted Danny Smith and Butler gone 2 years ago, I just dont think they're what we need

He's not the best at game adjustments or X's and O's which is in part why I want new O and D Coordinator's

He may be too stubborn
    A coach has to has the resolve and believe in what he is putting on the field BUT there have been players that after 2 to 3 years just are not Sunday material (I wont name names)
    I wonder sometimes what coach T sees and if his hands may be tied.

I will say this: Should Mason Rudolph lead the Steelers to a positive record, or even make the playoffs after a season of losing a 3 killer B's it will be one of the greatest coaching jobs for the franchise, some on this board will have to re evaluate their perspectives.

• Like Like x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

If it’s been said once it’s been said 1,000 times, 99.9% of fans couldn’t identify an adjustment it their life depended on it. Apparently you’re forgetting it’s the general managers job to assemble the players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    This is a fair and objective write up, I would say.

13. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    with Ben now out Tomlin has to finally prove that he can win games without any of Cowher’s players.

is he going to be able to do that?

14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    What. Nobody wants to discuss his awesome challenges?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    isn't Tomlin on a one challenge winning streak?

17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Thanks to his new challenge coordinator.

18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Surprised no one has mentioned his record against really bad teams. Pretty sure that dispels any idea that he motivates his players or is worth a crap in game prep.

Tomlin’s teams have a personality:

-Exciting big play offenses
    - sloppy
    - mistake prone
    - under achievers given the talent
    - swing for the fence mentality

How anyone can possibly believe this is a good coach is beyond me . Hand just about any coach in the nfl Ben , Bell, Brown, that O-line, Conner, and 8 first round picks on defense and you have playoff wins in the bag. We had the talent to win SB’s , instead we usually barely made the playoffs and/ or lost as soon as we got in. His record in the playoffs since he had Cowhers team is atrocious .

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Under achieved.
    Does not prepare team to succeed.
    Time management is horrible.
    Player evaluation is horrible
    He has overstayed his welcome by 10 years.

Scott Frost for Head Coach.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  20. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Last season, all 5 of the Patriots losses were to non-playoff teams. The Jaguars and the Lions were last in their divisions.
    If the best team in football can have those types of losses (to teams they are expected to beat), then any team can.

(It is like playing poker. Pocket Aces are a favorite to win against any other hand, but play often enough, there will be losing hands. And the Steelers are not that much better than other teams.)

21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Wouldn’t be so bad if he surrounds himself with good coaches. But he surrounds himself with Butler, Fichtner and Danny Smith

22. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I guess one thing to ask is who is a good coach, I mean we are hammering the guy, probably for good reasons but who would you really not criticize? Before we go on the Bellicheat bandwagon, name someone different. The guy for the Rams looked like an idiot in the SB and should not have been there in the first place (Saints). Atlanta is a cluster, Carolina??? No. The guy in Philadelphia had a year and they’ve crashed and burned. What about all the NE spin offs? Fat guy at Notre Dame or Romeo? God help the lions. Don’t get me wrong, Tomlin has issues but who is that much better? I bet the Eagles would tell you Reid sucks. The coaching talent is kinda lean. As for Bellicheat, once a cheater always a cheater.

23. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I just wanna know his this man was a secondary coach. How is your teams biggest as a coach for YEARS your original position coach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    His major weakness is a weakness you can not get passed. He is a terrible coach when it comes to the details of the game. Terrible, he isnt even average there. He was able to mask it from the amazing talent he had the first 10 years in his coaching career, yet now, unless Mason is the next big thing, will have major issues winning games.

25. Simpelton

Simpelton Member

Sep 20, 2019
    I wonder if that's really the head coach's fault. IIRC the Steelers have been lagging behind for years in football analytics. Where's the Steeller version of Ernie Adams? It's not like you guys don't have a lot of intelligent people who know their football to draw that kind of talent from

I honestly think that Adams' encyclopedic knowledge of football and his ability to identify trends and patterns, combined with the Steelers seemingly NOT having that ability, has been the difference in a lot of the head to head matchups between NE and PIT