1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T/F: Tomlin, if fired, would have multiple NFL HC job offers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know but hopefully someone in our division so we can count on two wins each year.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That sounds like a bad coach to me.

3. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    From teams that don’t ever win or have hired Bozo after bozo who have failed as hc multiple times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I only wish he would say that! Sooner that later too!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yeah, maybe for coaching the secondary again since he is such a defensive minded genius:hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If that's the case, then the question remains: why give him any extension? He was already under contract for 2 more seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Other teams fans think most of us are crazy for wanting Tomlin gone. I'm certain many teams would welcome him with open arms. All I know is he is not a strategist, does not incorporate X's or O's to play calling nor does he game plan for opponents weaknesses and strengths and also accepts mediocrity from his coaching staff.

I watched a football life on Chuck Noll just last night and it's amazing how few and far between great coaches really are. I would say that Belichick is the only coach in the current NFL that even comes close.

We may get rid of Tomlin but don't expect too much with a changing of the guard. Players today just don't accept teaching and discipline the way they used to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A few things I think;

1. If the team doesn’t make the play-offs, but Rudolph plays well, I would think they would let Tomlin go and get a QB oriented, offensive-minded coach to steer the young QB in the right direction. This scenario, I would think, might lead the team to give Roethlisberger the option to either retire or find a team that would trade for him.

If the team makes the play-offs and Rudolph plays well, only the second part would hold true.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They normally extend their coaches with 2 years left, to not do anything could have looked like he was a lame duck coach.

I get your point though, they could have just said to him privately, produce or your out.

That doesn’t seem to be how they operate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That makes as much sense as any other explanation...not much.;+)
    I think the FO is happy with Tomlin and the team on and off the field. When Rooney was asked about the distractions and 'circus' they had become last season, he called it "nonsense".

11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Say what you want the one year extension is not the Steelers way. Seems there is some doubt in Art II's head. An 0-2 start i'm sure is not what he planned. At least if this team was ready to play and remained competitive against the cheats i'm sure all would be a bit more comfortable. But they were not and your head coach stood up at the after game presser and said" We just weren't ready for prime time" Who says that? Tomlin.

I can see Mason Rudolph salvaging the season. I can see Ben retiring or asking for a trade. I feel Tomlin needs to go elsewhere. Let him go to wherever. Hire a young up and comer. This team needs to change. It needs a change. This tape loop has been going on for far to long.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You believe that huh :coolcool:

13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He would be hired very quickly. If it was during the season...You know Keith Butler would be promoted to intern HC....so be careful what you wish for.

But who do you want that you think would be better than Tomlin?

HACK

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know what to think about any of this Tomlin business anymore.:unsure:

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ron Rivera? (if let go)

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    You're not alone. Hard to argue stats or what not... Inheriting certain coordinators/ players in tow in the early days always provides an arguement as does some of the lost moments he seems able to circle the wagons even if the end game is not what folks wanted season to season. Been some good ball played as well as many WTF moments under his tutelage.

I genuinely like the guy but IDK anymore either. Everyone wants to outlast their usefulness it's a goal in life. In that spirit, we all get shown the door at some point and all have **** talkers and supporters in the process.

I'd like to see change whilst admitting idk who out there brings it at this point. It's all a flip of the coin with too many changing parts and variables to consider but nonetheless... Be it him, Colbert, our DC or ownership, something ain't been right for a long minute and while I don't expect a super bowl every year I do expect attention to detail being paid and I'm not seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I’m of the opinion that we may need a change of coaches. However, you asked one thing he’s done and I think it’s fair to say he’s made some good draft picks. AB was a 6th round pick that turned into one of the best receivers in the league, I know he’s a idiot but he’s good. They drafted LeVeon and got a lot of performance from him. He also went after Watt and
    de Castro. Rudolph was a good pick and let’s not forget Emmanuel Sanders. Shazier was solid as was Pouncey. Again, I’m thinking that coaching wise we likely need a change but he has been involved in the selection of several good players in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One of the things that stood put to me when watching that episode was Tunch I think it was talking about Noll talking about if the play the way they should no one could beat them (sounds familiar right) and how Noll told him to move his foot two inches back and half an inch to the outside. He talked about the attention to detail like that and that it actually did help. So when Tomlin speak says attention to detail I laugh because he doesn't know what that means.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Except in NE? Mmm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Pretty sure I mentioned that. No?

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Tomlin is not a good x’s And o’s guy. He’s also not a good in-game manager - too many “gut” calls instead of quick, rational decisions. However, Tomlin IS a player motivator who can get the team to believe in itself and overcome adversity. See 2016 ( (9 in a row after being 4-5, and losing Cam for the year). See 2014 (4 in a row to close the regular season when the team was looking like it may be done). He relates to players in a way that helps lift them up when things look grim. Anyone looking at him as a coaching candidate is going to look at those situations and see the leadership. He’ll have multiple opportunities.

I think our current situation is tailor made for Tomlin - other than the poor x’s and o’s associated with Butler’s defense. I expect the team to rebound and surprise the people who have written the team off. The offense will not be what it was with the Killer Bs, but I expect it to be solid, and perhaps more consistent. Whether we can elevate all the way to the postseason will likely depend on the defense finding its way. If the season falls apart, then I don’t see much sense in keeping Tomlin around because he will have failed at the strongest aspect of his coaching. If we are in contention for the playoffs after week 15, then he will have proven, once again, why he’s a good coach. It’s going to be a defining season for Mike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Popcorn would get offers for HC, not any offers for a DB coach.

23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Of course he'd be snapped up in a second.

He's been in two Super Bowls and won one. How many active coaches can say that? Belichik, Carroll, and Tomlin That's it, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Tomlin could be very successful as a college coach. College coaching is more about recruiting talent than anything else, and I think he would be a fantastic recruiter. Just imagine Super Bowl winning head Coach Mike Tomlin, with his ability to relate to people and players, sitting across the table from a star high school player and his parents. He’d give Saban and Swinney a run for their money if he took over a once-dominant program like Miami, FSU, etc.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to find out. :smiley1:

Flores. Fangio. :cool: