1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    HUGE difference between taking a QB in a mid-late round because you see value, and taking a QB in the 1st because you need a QB. It’s been well documented that the Steelers said that they had a 1st round grade on Rudolph. If a QB is sitting there in a later round that you have a 1st round grade on, at some point the value is too good to pass up - because you never know what’s going to happen, and you do need backup QBs too.

2. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    wait a minute. They had Josh Dobbs and Landry Jones already. So they already had a backup or two, but you can justify that pick, but now think that even if Rudolph should stink and Ben's health status is unknown in April you don't think they should make drafting a QB a priority?

How do you pick another backup QB, admittedly better, but then ignore the fact that you may not have a good starter.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So if the Steelers finish 8-8, they won't have a chance at a franchise QB anyways. Rudolph will be solid, and Ben will return so I doubt the Steelers would've been interested in drafting another QB in 2020. The Steelers found a replacement for Sean Davis in Fitzpatrick, they also can keep him on his rookie contract 3 years after this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Sure, and you have an even better chance of finding the next QB if you spend every single draft pick you have on QBs but that would not be a smart way to try to build a contender. If you think Rudolph is the next QB then it makes all the sense in the world to use the pick on another position, especially one as needed as a FS. If they are wrong on Rudolph then yeah, we are in a bad spot but exactly the same thing can be said if they are wrong on whatever QB they supposedly would have drafted had they kept the pick. At some point you have to assume that the people making the decisions know what they are doing. If they don't we are screwed whether they traded for Fitz or kept the pick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    A tough bind that that would only be lessened in your scenario if the same people who were wrong about Rudolph were right about the QB they decided to pick with the pick they traded for Fitz. Again, not sure why I am supposed to be so worried that they are wrong on Rudolph while simultaneously believing they have a good chance of being right on the next guy they like.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We finally have a safety who can intercept the ball, cover and tackle, haven't had this since Troy left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Great comment. I don't think they ever intended to draft a QB even if Ben was done with football and Mason ends up a dud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Dobbs was drafted with the idea of him being Jones’s replacement, and Rudolph was drafted based on the value of having a QB available in the 3rd that they had a 1st round grade on. Neither of those decisions is relevant to the debate over whether the Fitz trade was wise other than the fact that Rudolph is on the team, and the team clearly thinks highly of him.

I get your position: you view holding the 2020 1st rounder as insurance against neither Ben nor Mason being viable starting QBs in 2020. It’s a risk averse view. I disagree because the team knows the details of Ben’s situation, and will have factored that into the decision. Knowing the Steelers, I am very comfortable saying that they have fully considered the QB situation, and have achieved a state of comfort that it’s unlikely that they would be drafting a QB in the 1st round next year. My strong suspicion is that Ben’s injury is not at all career threatening, and that the team has him locked into the starting QB spot for next season. I’ve seen nothing that suggests that Ben’s injury was any worse than season-ending other than fan speculation.

You’ve also cited his age. Well, the team took that into account when they signed his extension. If they believe he will be back to full health for 2020 based on what the doctors say, then they have every reason to continue to build the roster around the franchise QB that they already have. If anything, sitting out a year is one year less wear and tear on every other part of his body, which is a plus for his longevity.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I laugh at you quite often. Does that count? :cool:

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Locked in? Not if Steelers make the playoffs this year.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if Ben has a fully recovery, there is a very good chance he misses next season. Could take up to 18 months.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. BrianFlorida

BrianFlorida Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ve changed my tune to where I now wish the Steelers would get all our defensive players via trade. I know it isn’t the franchise’s history, but we apparently can’t draft them ourselves. Miami would never have swapped first rounders with us to get Minkah when they drafted him, and now he has a year of proving he can play in the NFL.
    Yes, I’m kidding a little bit about trading for ALL defenders, but pretty much the only good DB we’ve gotten lately is by trade.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just realized after 18 pages did anyone actually welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick?..... If not I will. Welcome Minkah! The bar is very low for our FSs. Watch your step:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    After just watching his interview with Missi Mathews, I’m Sold!

Make Steeler Defense Great Again!

Steeler D will be dominant again, maybe next season or the one after that!

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Where did you see that other than fan/reporter speculation?

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tommy John surgery can take up to 2 years to regain arm strength. However they are saying he isn't having that but are playing it close to the vest. Let's half that and say 12 months but Pouncey is telling reporters by OTA's so its guess work right now

17. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    that 4th round pick we got back from the Dolphins will likely be the first pick of Day 3. this will be a valuable asset that many teams will covet...

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What Thorn said, it was being reported it was Tommy John surgery, now I’m seeing it might not be.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If you are finally learning some humor from me, I’m ok with helping you.

20. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Great move because it has the potential to make and impact for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do learn about what not do do from you. Does that count?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

Pathetic. Again.

23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I dont kno much abt the Kid, If he play's well and helps us win then great... I saw a picture someone posted today of the Dolphins players kneeling and he was one of them ... Idont like that at all !!! he better have that **** out of his system !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Personal attacks. Again. :facepalm:

Funny how your sense of humor disappears when it is directed at you.

Any chance we could get this thread back to Fitzpatrick now, please?

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How dare he exercise his freedom of expression!?

:rolleyes: