1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitzpatrick trade vs Bush trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 17, 2019.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    in all honesty, i think Fitzpatrick deal was a better deal than Bush deal. I think we gave too much for Bush. But again, it all depends on where we end up this season. if we pick in the top five, Fitz trade might not look as good but if after pick 5, I still think Fitz deal is better than Bush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The Bush trade didn't cost too much. They swapped first rd picks, gave up a 2nd and 3rd, the 3rd they will recoup with a comp for Bell.

Essentially it ended up costing them a 2nd and he looks to be everything they hoped for.

Well worth it, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I love the minka trade because all his bonus money stays in miami.

I still agree with the bush move as well.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I disagree with the notion that we recouped a 3rd (assuming that’s what we get for Bell). Absent the Bush trade, we would have two 3rds in the 2020 draft. We get that comp pick with or without the Bush trade. It truly cost us a 2nd and a 3rd to trade up 10 spots for him. Now that he’s here, I’m all in on him, and hope he’s a star. I didn’t like making that trade though.

I like the Fitzpatrick trade. He’s been in the NFL, and proved he belongs with a solid rookie season. Also, as part of that trade we swapped our 5th for the Dolphins’ 4th, which is a solid move up. It will probably be the first pick of the 4th round. So we effectively traded a little less than a 1st rounder.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think the Fitz trade is tons better basically because I was against Bush all together. I didn't want him at 20 and I really didn't want him at 10..........:facepalm:

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Fitzpatrick trade was the better trade considering what we gave up.

7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yinzer math.;+)

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL

I just look at is as they weren’t able to make a pick in one round.

That’s not bad to move up to number 10 and grab the player you think will anchor your ILB position for years to come.

9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Given the franchise's circumstances the Bush trade was way better imo.

The Ben injury changes everything, unfortunately. It's a QB driven game.

In the Bush trade the team gave up a 2 and a 3 to shore up a defensive weakness on what otherwise was considered a AFC championship contender led by a HoF QB. The Fitzgerald trade is trading a #1 to shore up a defensive weakness on what otherwise is not considered an AFC championship contender led by an unproven second year QB.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Get back to me by seasons end. Way too early to decide which was the better trade. For that matter, get back to me within three years.

Who knows how either Devin Bush or Minkah Fitzpatrick will pan out?! They both clearly have star level potential. How great can they be remains to be seen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :shrug:.......:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree it wasn't a bad move (and won't be, as long as Bush pans out), I just hadn't put the L Bell comp pick into the equation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We have a first for fitz. Lost a 5th and got a top 4th. Only kept a 2nd rounder for 4 years, well 3 and 1 game. Lost a 2nd round rb after 4 years to get maybe a 3rd in 6 years for him. It still took 3 picks to land bush. We lost a lot of high picks to get two guys that will be playing for us.

We lost two firsts, three seconds, a third and a fifth to gain two players out of four and a third and fourth out of four players that we could of had still hear. We must replace two players as well. When you spend high picks you expect to keep them for several years to build a team. We didn't do that. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Who??????? :shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    might as well throw burns in there. We used a first and two seconds on guys that never saw a second contract. Do we want to add dupree and jarvis? Two more first rounders that may not see a second contract.:cool:

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was my problem with the post as well. We've seen that argument many times, but just because they are getting the comp pick doesn't mean they didn't lose a third-rounder in the trade. They still gave up that valuable pieces as part of the price of moving up.

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    If I was compartmentalizing, I'd leave that 3rd round pick as comp for Bell, so the Steelers at least get something out of that deal.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets give it some time for both players,
    The cream will come to the top.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You forgot Sean Davis.

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Maybe it's to early but Bush has been getting pancaked and pushed around out there right now. The defense has not improved to this point with his addition. He has 10 tackles in two games. 5 a game. He's at a position that is set up to make a lot of tackles. Edmunds has 13 solo tackles as a DB. Now the game may be to fast for him right now and I get that but he certainly to this point has not shown much of that talent they traded up to get. Only Miami, Washington, and New York Giants are worse. they are giving up 320 passing yards a game one of the worst marks in the NFL. 446 yards a game total. This defense is a wreck. So I hope that Bush comes into his own but at this point he's not there yet. At least we get an nfl starter in this trade.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He has 18 tackles and a fumble recovery which he nearly returned for a TD.

He’s been a positive influence on the defense and can see exactly why they moved up to get him. He’s only going to get better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    no he's one of those second rounders counted.:cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Burns- 1st rd. No 5th year option. May not see 2nd contract.
    Dupree-1st rd. Did get 5th year option but may not get 2nd contract.
    Davis- 2nd rd. Got 3 years and 1 gm. May not get 2nd contract.
    Bell- 2nd rd. Got 5year and no 2nd contract. May get a 3rd rd. Pick for comp.
    Fitz- cost a 1st-5th but get a 4th back. Lost 1year and 2 games in career.
    Bush- 1st-2nd-3rd
    J Jones- 1st rd. No 2nd contract.
    AB- 6th rd. Get a 3rd and 5th. Ate 21 million of his 2nd contract.
    Allen- Hawkins both 4th rd. Didn't finish 1st contract. Get a 7th.
    Allen- 6th rd. Got 1 season.
    Chuks 3rd rd. Sits inactive with fa banner active over him 2years in.
    Dobbs 4th rd. Traded for 6th?? Didn't complete 1st contract.
    James 6th rd. No 2nd contract.
    Smith- 6th rd. No 1st contract.

the jist of this is we keep very few players very long for higher picks and get lower picks in return and then the lower picks never seem to pan out either.

udfas - fieler, av, foster, hilton, kelly, banner, grimble, holten, ola, dangerfield, canaday, berry, boswell, nix,hodges, finney. That's 16 on our 53 man roster.

:cool:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He also had a nice pass-breakup on a pass attempt to a RB over the middle vs. the Pats. I’m not sure it made the stat sheet as there may have been a penalty on the play.

• Like Like x 1
  25. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Well lets hope anyways since well you know with the current coaches and all.