1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Elephant in the room - does Minkah WANT to play S?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I hope they don't move him around too much. That was the primary reason he cited for wanting to leave the Dolphins. Keep him at FS. Don't **** this up.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Mike Tomlin F's this up he should be shot. We finally have a FS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh he’s already talking about doing just that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    He does not want to play Strong Safety.

Big difference between Strong and Free safety. (The 2 positions are not interchangeable)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    A few days ago when the rumors were flying, there was supposedly a social media statement by his mom saying that he is a free safety, and the Dolphins were misusing him in the box.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Parents know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That fits with what I've read, that Fitzpatrick was unhappy they were using him as a linebacker in sub packages.

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Oh no they made a move to improve. To bad it came as a desperation after an injury. Its only picks. Honestly it's the only way this got done. They have minimal cap space. Maybe you would rather have Cam Kelly start? Personally I like the kid but he is far from ready for prime time (neither were the Steelers according to popcorn in the 1st contest) That's why they pulled it off. Maybe Edmonds will get his head out of his @ss now.

9. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Minkah was an absolute team player at Bama. Was moved around and played in multiple positions extensively. Didn't say a word.

The difference between him at Bama and him with Miami is that Bama wasnt a franchise (seemingly) intentionally tanking. On that Miami squad, in his first year, he was used as FS, SS, Slot CB, outside CB, and dime linebacker. That's irritating but even moreso if you think you'll be doing it a second year for a team that is having you do all that but potentially sabotaging itself.

Steelers arent going to tank and sabotage themselves because our beloved team isnt a bunch of b*****s. Minkah playing at one position might make him cry, tears of joy, for the relief on his brain and body, after rescuing him from the horror that is the Dolphins.

He's going to be a perfect angel and considering the phin's 4th round is probably gonna be a top 100 pick. We got an absolute get.

I know there is much doom and gloom and sadomasochism on this board so this might be hard to believe but Colbert is actually ****in' schooling everybody on 75% these trades. (Ask the Raiders). Moncrief and Ladarius Green being those couple blemishes and I dont know if the boom has been totally written on Moncrief yet.

• Like Like x 2
  10. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...play-for-steelers-and-head-coach-mike-tomlin/
    via http://cbssportsapp.com

Would he agree that his versatility is among his greatest attributes as a player?

"Yeah, I would agree," he said. "Last year, my rookie year, I played all over the field, played at a high level wherever they put me at. Obviously there are things I can improve on, but I think I did a pretty good job, and that's why I'm here, to keep growing, keep improving and work on my strengths and my weaknesses and just keep going."

Doesn't sound like a guy who minds being shuffled around to me

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah I'm going to wait and see what he says himself after practice tomorrow. It seems like it was a bad situation in the Dolphins organization especially Gase last year jettisoning players who didn't agree with him, New head coach this year, drama about the owner and his politics, trading players away and stockpiling picks basically calling it quits before even playing a snap.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It sound alike Minkah wants to play slot CB .

I agree with those that we out him at FS and leave him there. It's the position I believe he is best suited for.

I think Minkah's biggest problem was that they were moving him all over the place. Leave him at FS and allow him to develop.

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This trade is actually a ballsy move and might prove a catalyst in moving this D in the right direction. He was impressive as a rookie, just moved around a lot. Look at it this way. next year we lose Burns and Davis, busts. We could replace one of them with that first pick...do you trust that? This kid is good, will stabilize a position that has been sorely lacking for years. This is not a 'this year' fix. We have him for 4 years. With TJ, Bush, our corners, and this kid we could become very good on D in a very short time..and no I am not smoking dope. lol

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Parents just don’t understand.

15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Glenn just wondering does this topic qualify as an elephant in the room? :lolol:

16. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    and Minkah is absolutely right for feeling this way, at 204 lbs he shouldn't be asked to play that much in the box.

17. Da_Cranberry

Da_Cranberry Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2018
    I understand what you are saying but I don’t agree with it. Our issues on D isn’t talent we have I think 8 1st rounders on D, it’s our scheme and coach.

On offense which is required to win a game we are an absolute mess. We need a QB (I’m not sold on MR), we need 2 more WRs and a franchise RB. That pick could of gone to trading for one of those which is way more expensive than a db

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have already replaced Burns with free agents, Haden and Nelson, but I do get your overall point.