1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 58stillers, Sep 16, 2019.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Last QB taken in the first round to win a championship in his first 4 yrs? You guys are flipping out about losing a potentially high pick that could have possibly been turned into a QB that may possibly be the next franchise QB even though right now that player doesn't seem to exist.

Meanwhile you have got your high first round pick for next year but you got him 8 months early with a years worth of NFL experience and a contract for 3 more years with an option for a 5th. How is this bad?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Do you have a sense of humor at all?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Glen Edwards would like to have a word with you....

4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm just wondering how different this trade would look if we took New England to the brink and looked decent in a last second loss in Foxboro?

Then the next week we lose Ben in the first half to a good Seattle team but still are very competitive with our second year QB in his first ever start.

Maholmes sat for a year too and ended his second year as a superstar. I'm not saying he's Maholmes but perhaps the season isn't over quite yet.

My point is that, had we not looked so absolutely hideous in week 1, this trade would feel a lot different to those that are not so hot on the trade. Things could feel a lot different 6 weeks from now.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh look, another analyst thinks it’s a good trade. Maybe people shouldn’t use the fraudulent and hyperbolic “every analyst “ spiel to support their own position.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersUK

SteelersUK Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Well well well, have the front office been drinking? What an out of character move.

I like the player and it’s a position of need. I’ve also wanted us to be more decisive with moves like this in the past instead of sticking with picks and then having mixed success from them.

My main grumble is that Derwin James was available at 17 in the same draft and I’d of loved us to of been more aggressive then and got the best safety in that class. Why weren’t we making moves like this when we were in win now mode??

This is now make or break for KC, MT and KB. The secondary consists of Haden, the acquired Nelson who they’ve paid well and 2 first round safeties. No excuses!

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    None of us knows for sure what the Steelers have with Rudolph, but I'm excited to find out. I'm excited to see a stud in the secondary again that we have not had since Troy retired. None of us knows if Ben is done, or how he will play if and/or when he comes back. We likely won't have any idea for the next year or more. I prefer to let it play out. Grinding on it until that time comes is nothing but conversation. And hand wringing over trading a #1 pick that "might" or "could" get a franchise QB is an exercise in futility. I'm looking forward to the here and now, because that's all we have.

My only apprehension, and I think everyone here is in the same boat, is that they desperately need to change defensive coordinators. I wish that had been announced yesterday, too. But they are still stuck with that doofus.

Does anyone know when this trade was actually wrapped up? I mean, there is much supposition within this thread that it was done this morning, leading people to comment that it smacks of desperation in light of Ben's injury. Just wondering if anyone knows. It could very well have been closed Saturday for all we know. Then it would only make sense that the trade wouldn't be made public until after Sunday's games were over.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry if that against the rules rating showed up, hit it trying to reply.

The whole Minkah trade came up quickly, from it being announced that he requested a trade to an actual deal being made. I’m sure he had a lot of suitors, I don’t think it was desperation at all. It was a great player on the market and the Steelers went after him.

As for Butler, I can’t imagine them parting ways in season but then again, never expected them to trade for Fitzpatrick.

Maybe the Steelers are breaking their mold, a new DC is desperately needed :beg:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I see you are taking refuge in the "I was kidding" defense, the hiding place of those who have made a bad argument.

Humor can be used to make a point and you used yours to make one that was disingenuous. Also, you may want to inject more funny into your next attempt at humor. That one simply wasn't very good.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin said today that Davis's injury was "a significant factor" in the trade. Doesn't that add to the idea that there was some desperation involved?

I don't doubt that they also think very highly of Fitzpatrick and they wanted him last year. He could turn out to be a hell of a player. I also don't think much of the argument that the Steelers needed to keep the pick to get a quarterback in case Rudolph flops. They need a high-end safety, too. The risk involved in the move makes me uneasy. I do think there was a little panic involved and I don't have as much faith in Colbert and Tomlin as I once did due to the mistakes made over the past year and a half or so.

Tomlin's comments today raised another concern. More than once, he talked about using Fitzpatrick's versatility in the long run. They will use him at safety only as he gets acclimated, but ask him to do more eventually. That was part of Fitzpatrick's problem in Miami. It can't be comforting to find that he will face the same issue in Pittsburgh.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Damn you got me again. Is it a burden to be that good?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with everything except there’s no way the trade could of been imminent on Saturday and he was allowed to play Sunday. Neither team would take that risk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m telling you fire Tomlin.Butler and Colbert right now if they don’t commit to Minkah at FS. We didn’t trade a 1st round pick for a slot corner or some hybrid BS that never works and certainly not no jack of all trades master of none....

They can’t screw this up too can they? Please no.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    That is true, and never considered it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Other than maybe the Alabama QB who the Dolphins will take with the first pick, I would rather have Rudolph than the other QB'S coming out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Davis being on the team should have been a significant factor in the trade.

Using his versatility could mean many things. I surmise that Fitzpatrick was being shuffled play to play. Tomlin might mean that in specific situations, he could be moved. Hard to say, it's an ambiguous statement.

I also wonder if they'd prefer that Fitzpatrick makes the defensive calls once he learns the defense rather than Watt. Not saying Watt's aptitude is an issue, but a defensive back has a more panoramic view of the offense.

Fitzgerald initially said he wanted traded because the Dolphins were dumping quality players for draft picks, i.e., trading Leremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills to Houston. Surely he could read the writing on the wall about what kind of season he could expect. Which reason is more of a factor in his desire to be dealt is speculation, but that particular trade was what seemed to spur him to ask to be moved, I would think it is the bigger issue with him than how he was being used.

18. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dude I like reading your posts because you’re like the dark voice of doubt hiding in our subconscious but sometimes ya got to lighten up haha lol

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I would agree that it was maybe a little desperate if the value wasn't that of a first rounder but it is, IMO.

I think the dumpster fire that is the Miami Dolphins led to his wanting out more than the positions he was being asked to play. That leads to another concern though, a player asking out when not happy but I think that situation is unique, it's really bad over there.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    See? You can do it. THAT was funny. :lolol:

And yes, it actually is a burden, but one I happy carry for the members of this board. :)

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    One other thing, Tomlin saying Davis' injury played a significant part in the decision could just be them trying to sooth Davis' ego.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're assuming I'm not laughing either with or at a lot of what I read and post here. That assumption is incorrect. :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Why would they care about his ego? There is a very good chance he has played his last game as a Steeler.

That said, I do like the way you are thinking in considering that a coach or general manager for a pro team would happily say something that is bull**** to serve a given narrative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Really? Coming from a guy that often thinks they spin things? Come on man.

• Winner Winner x 1